The Neuroscience of Stage Fright

Once you start moving on the field any stage fright you may have disappears... you have no time to think about anything else other than what happens next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pr0riM9Ao8

• Like 1

I've always thought of it as "the first show jitters" meaning your first ever Drum Corps show. The first time I had to step on the feild I was more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, but the vets were acting like it was just another stroll in the park. After you jump off all the training kicks in and that's all you're focused on. When you get the first show under your belt the jitters go away.... well at least for me they did.

http://io9.com/5950544/the-neuroscience-of-stage-fright-++-and-how-to-cope-with-it

Here's the part that got me...

I'm guessing, percentage-wise, that this affects DCI performers as well. Do you know of any, or are you one? How do you deal with it?

Mike

There are performers in the pop culture world that give me stage fright to the point that I use better blockers too.

In your mind, just picture your audience naked... :rolleyes:

Edited by wvu80

don't know - `I don't think I'd try using a beta blocker for this...very risky, not what they are primarily intended for, and could have the exact opposite effect, among other unintended consequences. not saying physicians can't 'go off the board' and it hasn't/wouldn't work, but it would have to be closely supervised. not one of those drugs that you share with a buddy....

Intrigued, I'll have to go do some reading.

Well, they didn't do me a whole helluva lot of good today. :winky: (Or, more precisely, my patient.) I was trying to do an extraction on a patient who has been taking atenolol (for a heart condition) but after giving the first injection with an epinephrine (adrenaline) containing anesthetic (which is what we use 90 % of the time), they immediately complained of increased nervousness and a racing heart. Naturally, their vitals were up as well. (Not dangerously, thank goodness.) Ended up having to postpone the procedure, though. (When you numb for upper 3rd or 2nd molars, you have to deposit near an area that has a pretty dense vascular bed. Even using an aspirating syringe [see my sig], you can still sometimes end up with a small amount infiltrating surrounding veins. Just happens...)

I'm not sure why the article says it's effect is "largely unknown." The term "beta blocker" refers to a subtype of receptor for epinephrine. The "fight or flight" hormone.

Anyways, like John said, I wouldn't be cavalier about taking meds that, among other things, affect heart function, just for the sake of improving a performance.

• Like 1

10_31_2008_boo_cav.jpg

That's given me a fright, I just need to find a stage now.....