Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

OK, we're coming up with more groups (schools, BSA, whatever I missed) that do mandated background checks. But DCAs policy is let the corps worry about it? Hey folks I'm 55 and I can remember a day when if something bad would have happened, the perp would have been nailed and no one would have thought of saying the group he worked for was responsible. Now (and rightfully so IMO), the group and the head organization are held accountible for not having safeguards in place.

Sorry DCA you are behind the times on this. Again DCA doesn't have the resource to check the corps members but let's be honest:

1) corps have to have a minimum number of members to be allowed to compete at DCA

2) corps have to prove legal rights to their music to be able to perform at DCA

3) corps (at least new ones) have to prove they have the financial resources to be in DCA

But mandating that corps have criminal checks and follow thru to protect the members... eh.... not that important.

Just keep hearing a quote a certain coach supposedly made as things started to implode: "Don't bother me with that, I've got the next game to worry about". IOW - time to rethink the priorities.....

Edit: after reading kickhalts... add DCI to the mix, maybe a good policy could be one of the first things they work on together. Would be a great PR move along with a good idea.

this

CMHs59 and Drum Corps Planet: You should be very careful bringing the Boy Scouts into this discussion given the DCP Terms of Service. You can disclaim DCP six ways to Sunday, but the fact you encouraged this thread by moving it from FB to DCP leaves you open for further scrutiny. Reading through this thread, do you think the content complies with the DCP Terms of Use 5. Member Conduct? And further, to those of you that post about knowing this or knowing that about a registered sex offender,call the police and report it if you think there is something wrong. Let the police vet out if this person is breaking the Sex Offender Legislation in their state. Otherwise, you're no better than Joe Paterno and all the others that knew and decided not to call the police.

Hi...let me be clear.....I started this thread here, and the discussion that was eventually removed from the DCP Facebook group. I started both willingly, and planned to start one here when I did the FB one. No one else influenced my decision to do so.

Here's some interesting facts since I started this thread:

I knew of 2 people when I started this. I have since received emails and pm's mentioning other people this may apply too.

I have been encouraged to "not go there" without the facts in emails and pm's, and in the process seen friends names trashed in these conversations. Here's the thing....if someone's name is on that registry, I don't ned facts. The governing agency that prosecuted the case or cases clearly had enough to make that legal determination. I don't care who has what grudges and who hates who. I first started hearing rumbling about this topic in August. It sat in my gut for a while, making me angry, but I didn't have a lot to go on. Then I got the link and a few names, and did some digging,

I stewed over should I start a thread or not, unlike with the G7 stuff in DCI, where i launched it right away. I knew this was going to be a topic that would offend, insult, and create some hard feelings. Yes, the Renegades issue did prompt me to put it up now, but it was going to go up at some point.

I'm tired of being called a hater and seeing friends being called all kinds of names. Bottom line folks, regardless of who hates who, etc...I have no agenda against any one person or any corps. I'm tired of seeing this being an issue in our activity. And quite frankly, since many people seem to think big brother should stay out, so be it. But when the lawsuit comes, I'll be the first guy in that thread on here saying I told you so, and I'll do it in such a way that it could be the last post I'm allowed to make on here.

• Like 1

Know people in PA who looked into adoption starting in the early to mid 90s. Yep, same thing for them and anyone who would be living in the house or staying there from time to time. That was the PA State Police check and National Registry check IIRC. And if anyone staying at the house (besides the prospective parents) raised any red flags they had to move or fergit it.... If any of the parents raised red flags then just don't bother trying.

I taught at the same school for 14 years. I had to get the check done at least 3 times. When I signed on to do the TOB All Star Band, I had to get a new check....they wouldn't use the one I had on file.

I never once complained....I have nothing to hide

Don't worry Jeff... when the lawsuit comes there won't be that much left to talk about DCA or DCI where ever it happens first.

• Like 1

Don't worry Jeff... when the lawsuit comes there won't be that much left to talk about DCA or DCI where ever it happens first.

there will still be DCP

and I was asked why I didn't start one about DCI..

easy. I don't know of any names on the list thats involved with DCI. I do for DCA

I taught at the same school for 14 years. I had to get the check done at least 3 times. When I signed on to do the TOB All Star Band, I had to get a new check....they wouldn't use the one I had on file.

I never once complained....I have nothing to hide

Do you remember the lifespan of those checks? Have done them twice over the years for differing reasons but when the time came to renew I no longer needed 'em so didn't bother.

As for fingerprint checks.... 3/28/1980...... first day of work.... and couple of security checks for clearance since then.... weeeeee haaaaaw.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Do you remember the lifespan of those checks? Have done them twice over the years for differing reasons but when the time came to renew I no longer needed 'em so didn't bother.

As for fingerprint checks.... 3/28/1980...... first day of work.... and couple of security checks for clearance since then.... weeeeee haaaaaw.....

I don't know if the reason for redoing them was school mandated or state mandated. I didn't ask, I didn't care. i was asked to get new ones, so i did.

I don't know if the reason for redoing them was school mandated or state mandated. I didn't ask, I didn't care. i was asked to get new ones, so i did.

I had to have the FBI check when I started teaching fencing at a local school...that was three years ago. I'll have to ask if it needs to be renewed.

Getting paid to hit 6th grader with a metal stick....awesome! :thumbup:

I had to have the FBI check when I started teaching fencing at a local school...that was three years ago. I'll have to ask if it needs to be renewed.

Getting paid to hit 6th grader with a metal stick....awesome! :thumbup:

Yeah but they get to hit back.....

Worked with a lady whose brother did US govt background checks in Baltimore area after college. Yeah, skinny young white kid in the Bal-mer hood. Asked if he ever had problems getting info from the locals. Answer was "Used to until I learned the magic phrase".

"Well, if I don't find out anything then he won't get the job. And he's the one who gave us your name." (So he knows who to came after...).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Not sure if the person Jeff is talking about is on the preditor list or not. If he is are you saying there are problems with it or should not be considered? And let's not forget anyone on the list was found guilty in court and not just accused.

People have been done in by false accusations was my point. In fact the mere false accusation could kill someones teaching career. I am not making any point about the person in question however. Mainly I am just noting Jeff's hard line on this when he could as easily be in this persons shoes.