Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

Also about Corps and boy scouts, I was sort of with a start up corps a couple years back that never completely got off the ground, but we were on board with the boy scouts, and yes, we had training and background checks to complete.

You are right, CMHS59, you did not move this here. That was addressed to DCP. This discussion took place there and was moved here by a person representing DCP as an Administrator on FB.

Michael New

Re: DCA and legal standings of members, feel free to discuss in the serious topic going on over on our moderated main forums, http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/154245-sex-offenders-being-involved-with-drum-corps/page__pid__3222576#entry3222576 - it's a little volatile for this sort of FB group. Thanks!

Sex offenders being involved with drum corps www.drumcorpsplanet.com given the posts removed elsewhere, but given all that is going on in the real world with this issue as well as seeing how DCA is cracking down on thi...

Like · · Unfollow Post · October 12 at 12:43pm via mobile

Wasn't "moved" here - this thread already existed. That's why there's a link in the FB post. To this thread. That was already here. That I told folks to go discuss here instead of FB.

Not quite sure what your point is?

Mike

CMHS59: Your comment of: "cmhs59, on 15 October 2012 - 04:56 PM, said: far safer than the boy scouts, and heaven forbid one darn sight safer than having your child become an alter boy... You are right, CMHS59, you did not move this here. That was addressed to DCP. This discussion took place there and was moved here by a person representing DCP as an Administrator on FB. Michael NewRe: DCA and legal standings of members, feel free to discuss in the serious topic going on over on our moderated main forums, http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/154245-sex-offenders-being-involved-with-drum-corps/page__pid__3222576#entry3222576 - it's a little volatile for this sort of FB group. Thanks!Sex offenders being involved with drum corps www.drumcorpsplanet.com given the posts removed elsewhere, but given all that is going on in the real world with this issue as well as seeing how DCA is cracking down on thi...Like · · Unfollow Post · October 12 at 12:43pm via mobile

the topic started here, and Mike (a trusted member of the moderating team here) moved it over to FB for more discussion. And we are still good with the topic's conformance, relevance and importance.

The background checks are mandatory to teach in TN and WI, as well.

I believe all 50 states mandate the same teaching background checks. other professions vary, with possible exceptions of safety sensitive positions....some consistency with child/adult care programs also....I think.

Also about Corps and boy scouts, I was sort of with a start up corps a couple years back that never completely got off the ground, but we were on board with the boy scouts, and yes, we had training and background checks to complete.

we sponsor a very large Explorer's post and also follow the BSA training/background requirements. as most of the adult advisors/assistants are also public safety staff, they are also required to submit new clearances triannually.

Wasn't "moved" here - this thread already existed. That's why there's a link in the FB post. To this thread. That was already here. That I told folks to go discuss here instead of FB.

Not quite sure what your point is?

Mike

yeah...what he said..... :lookaround:

And if I were I parent, I would actually like that this is being discussed on here. It should be discussed on the DCI side as well (like Tom said, a big bag of worms.....)

It's a serious thing. I have been in court myself as a witness. I helped put a very close family member in jail. I was on a staff with someone who did stuff with students (I did not know while teaching with him). Our entire staff no longer teaches at that school.

DCA and it's corps should be on top of this. And I'm sure some are. But there needs to be some standard set.

OK, we're coming up with more groups (schools, BSA, whatever I missed) that do mandated background checks. But DCAs policy is let the corps worry about it? Hey folks I'm 55 and I can remember a day when if something bad would have happened, the perp would have been nailed and no one would have thought of saying the group he worked for was responsible. Now (and rightfully so IMO), the group and the head organization are held accountible for not having safeguards in place.

Sorry DCA you are behind the times on this. Again DCA doesn't have the resource to check the corps members but let's be honest:

1) corps have to have a minimum number of members to be allowed to compete at DCA

2) corps have to prove legal rights to their music to be able to perform at DCA

3) corps (at least new ones) have to prove they have the financial resources to be in DCA

But mandating that corps have criminal checks and follow thru to protect the members... eh.... not that important.

Just keep hearing a quote a certain coach supposedly made as things started to implode: "Don't bother me with that, I've got the next game to worry about". IOW - time to rethink the priorities.....

Edit: after reading kickhalts... add DCI to the mix, maybe a good policy could be one of the first things they work on together. Would be a great PR move along with a good idea.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

I dated a woman who was a foster parent to teenage girls, and the placement agency asked that I submit to a background check since I was at the house so much and occasionally stayed overnight-and that was over 10 years ago, so this has been on the radar for quite some time. Any corps that does not already do this as a standard operating procedure is living on borrowed time.

I dated a woman who was a foster parent to teenage girls, and the placement agency asked that I submit to a background check since I was at the house so much and occasionally stayed overnight-and that was over 10 years ago, so this has been on the radar for quite some time. Any corps that does not already do this as a standard operating procedure is living on borrowed time.

Know people in PA who looked into adoption starting in the early to mid 90s. Yep, same thing for them and anyone who would be living in the house or staying there from time to time. That was the PA State Police check and National Registry check IIRC. And if anyone staying at the house (besides the prospective parents) raised any red flags they had to move or fergit it.... If any of the parents raised red flags then just don't bother trying.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I would hope that ANY organization that labels itself as an educational activity would have its own check and balances. The individual groups who provides its educational services should for the well being of ALL members, young or old. The parent company (DCA) should at the very least make sure that background checks are done.

These background checks could probably reveal more than just sexual misconduct. Lets face it, some corps may not wish to have someone convicted of multiple felony DWI's and allow them to drive equipment trucks or member busses. Maybe someone convicted of theft should not be holding a position as treasurer for the corps. I don't care how good a teacher or performer might be, it should never place the parent company, individual corps or its membership in potential harms way.

Merely discussing this just might make changes that will only benefit all involved. Even today, all newly employed school personnel has to go through fingerprinting. You can't mow a lawn without being fingerprinted. That is for the safety of the students, faculty and school district.

If you care enough about the activity you're in, this seems to be a no brainer. A little cost financially I am sure. The welfare of the activity and its membership are worth the cost

• Like 1

Tom I disagree that you think DCA should do nothing about this and that it is up to the corps. While I agree that it is the corps responsibility I also believe DCA has the responsibility to mandate that background checks have to be done. I think it is reasonable that each DCA corps should have clearances for all admin, staff, and instructors and every member 18 and older. It really isn't that hard

Jason is right.

In PA, you can do two of the three required clearances online, and the third (FBI finger-printing) and locations all over the state. The total cost for all three is sixty bucks, which is peanuts. Corps could easily include the forms in membership packets, but they should all require, at the very least, whatever their resident state requires.

To not do so in 2013 is sheer insanity.

• Like 2