Dear DCA Board

In the context of the conversation it was an ex DCI member using this situation as a reason he was hesitant to march in ANY DCA corps making the assumption that ALL DCA corps behave in this manner.

and numerous parents over the years have heard "a horror story" and kept their kids from marching in DCA.

Now, there for all to see, a corps was suspended by DCA. Of all places, DCA.

Actually.. based on the current turn of events Renegades made their bed. Corps like Bucs,Cabs and MBI who lived through those years have a pretty decent reputation in that area. You see very little if any drama coming from either of them. I know all corps have internal matters just as any professional sports teams do. But its how their dealt with that defines the reputation of the organization.

ok, so say you do a web search for All Age corps in California.

you'll see two options, one suspended for conduct.

Yeah that's a turn on for parents thinking about sending their kids to the other one

• Like 1

ok, so say you do a web search for All Age corps in California.

you'll see two options, one suspended for conduct.

Yeah that's a turn on for parents thinking about sending their kids to the other one

You can say this about anything. Do you stop grocery shopping all together if you had a bad experience at a single store or if you heard someone else had a bad experience?

My story of how the actions of the few ruin it for the many.

So in 2007 a week before we are to board the bus for championships the corps is told we are not allowed to have beer or booze on the bus because we would have to pay a $500 cleaning fee. I go to the bus company and find out that is a lie. So I go to the corps administration and say what the heck is going on here. They tell me since they had a issue with a couple of the members getting bombed the year before and a couple of minors stealing beer from the adults they decided to ban it.

Well 1st off all why not man up to it and say that is why you are banning it?? Then why wait and lie to everyone the last hour that they can't have booze on the bus because of the action of a few idiots? Had you told me sooner in the season you were going to do this I could have made other travel arrangement's and possibly would have returned the next season. I don't like being lied too.

Idiotic behavior of a few ruins it for the many that are just trying to have a good time.

Ed, we did have to pay a fee to the bus company if we wanted to allow alcohol on the bus, but it was not $500. It was significantly cheaper. Many of us, myself included, thought with a single bus and such a wide age range it was best not to permit alcohol. Is the trip really THAT miserable without booze? The board did not lie.

In addition to the above problems you cited we also had the little problem of you selling shots by the glass to underage members. The slope is slippery man so I'd advise you not go down this path.

Edited by Hulka
  • Like 3

Ed, we did have to pay a fee to the bus company if we wanted to allow alcohol on the bus, but it was not $500. It was significantly cheaper. Many of us, myself included, thought with a single bus and such a wide age range it was best not to permit alcohol. Is the trip really THAT miserable without booze? The board did not lie.

In addition to the above problems you cited we also had the little problem of you selling shots by the glass to underage members. The slope is slippery man so I'd advise you not go down this path.

Slope aint slippery man. I never sold a single shot to anyone under age. As a matter of fact I sold ZERO shots. Ask anyone that was on there. That was a failed fundraiser to raise money for the bus driver tip fund. I wound up giving SOME away to legal adults. Mostly my friends. The people that got out of hand with it were some of YOUR drummer peeps and guard people that brought their own stuff that got out of control. So if you want to start talking the talk lets talk.

And yes it was a miserable trip without the booze in 2007. Might want to get your facts strait before you start accusing me of something I did not do.

You can say this about anything. Do you stop grocery shopping all together if you had a bad experience at a single store or if you heard someone else had a bad experience?

dude...don't be logical, because the world is not logical. Any smart parent will do research yes....but too many parents....trust me, all they need is one horror story and their mind is closed forever.

• Like 1

Slope aint slippery man. I never sold a single shot to anyone under age. As a matter of fact I sold ZERO shots. Ask anyone that was on there. That was a failed fundraiser to raise money for the bus driver tip fund. I wound up giving SOME away to legal adults. Mostly my friends. The people that got out of hand with it were some of YOUR drummer peeps and guard people that brought their own stuff that got out of control. So if you want to start talking the talk lets talk.

And yes it was a miserable trip without the booze in 2007. Might want to get your facts strait before you start accusing me of something I did not do.

no offense, but any bus ride you need booze for is a sign of other issues.

• Like 1

I didn't realize I am held accountable for the actions of other people in my section as well as another. I thought individuals were accountable for their own actions. Silly me. It wasn't me getting sloshed on the bus and I wasn't attempting a booze fundraiser. No skeletons here. You may not have given anyone booze directly but there were underage people that got their hands on your shots. They were dealt with accordingly as were you. That was an eye-opening trip seeing so-called "mature" adults interact with high school students so we made some policy adjustments.

• Like 4

I am hoping this came out differently than you intended. Why would a trip be 'miserable' just because there was no booze?

• Like 1