What does "All Age" look like in the future?

Sorry - Deleted. Mind playing tricks on me :tongue:

Edited by grenadasmoothie

First I heard of it so no problem......

Andy... I remember reading that some musicals were shut down a few years back but can't remember details. Weird.... only remember that "Shrek the Musical" got an article because "Shrek" was mixing with the audience the day the doors reopened. OK - remember it cuz I worked with a guy we called Shrek. Looked like him from the back. :shutup:

The only shutdowns I can find articles on were due to storms and power outages ... I'm sure some shows were hampered by various isolated incidents but, no major all-inclusive strike as far as I can tell ...

:-)

Lets use the electric bass as an example. The first Fender electric bass was named the "Precision Bass". It was so named because unlike the upright acoustic bass it replaced, it had frets. That meant that the Fender bass player could play any note on the fretboard with 100% accuracy. Hence: "Precision". The upright bass player was required to "tune as you play" and needed a good "ear" for pitch. A contra player also needs a good ear because the skill required to play the instrument requires more than just pressing the correct valve(s) of the contra. It requires emboucher control, proper breathing tecnique and pitch recognition. Who should recieve more credit on the judging sheets: The electric bass player, playing a fast moving passage (walking bass line) or the 8 Contras playing the same passage? Because quite frankly, it's easier to do on an electric bass than it is by 8 contra players.

While frets provide the 'precision bass' player with a guide to creating a pitch, like any guitar, they still need to use their ear for fine-tuning. Plus, they need to use their ears to make sure they are in tune with the brass behind them. In Tom's example, there are two contras in addition to the bass player, so those three plaers REALLY need to remain "in synch" with each other regarding pitch. Also, the physical disparity in geographic location between a bass in the pit and the contras on the field will add to the demand between the two areas regarding tempo, rhythmic accuracy, phrasing, pitch, etc. Bottom line...neither situation is 'easy'.

Judge training can and IS affected by...well....lack of balls and political pressure.

Doing what should be the right thing can actually be the wrong thing politically.

IMO any judge who provides less than their 100% honest evaluation should not be permitted to judge.

In band world judging I've made many a comment about electronics being too loud...it is not a big deal. No different from any element being out of balance. Happens all the time.

Guys - we've debated this A&E thing once or twice before. We all know where we stand.

The question is - should DCA adopt it?

My vote - a big NO. Keep one area of drum corps accoustic. There's a ton of A&E out there in DCI, WGI and the band world. Leave us one little crumb, OK?

• Like 2

Guys - we've debated this A&E thing once or twice before. We all know where we stand.

My vote - a big NO. Keep one area of drum corps accoustic. There's a ton of A&E out there in DCI, WGI and the band world. Leave us one little crumb, OK?

Lets open that can o' worms if passed (would prefer not). How would DCA handle some corps having A&E and some not while keeping a level scoring system? Not like ye olde valve locks to keep corps that could afford valed horns from having an unfair advantage in competition..... And more complex than grounded or ungrounded pits as tehequipment was still the same.

OK...Yes is my vote...if I had one, of course.

IMO any judge who provides less than their 100% honest evaluation should not be permitted to judge.

In band world judging I've made many a comment about electronics being too loud...it is not a big deal. No different from any element being out of balance. Happens all the time.

I've made many too. I've heard about it later in a few cases, and hey...I was polite for me. :tongue:

But you don't think in the DCI world, you ram say Cadets for balance issues ( one of the usual suspects for balance issues, especially early), your amount of work won't decrease as the season goes on? Come on, this isn't local band circuit Y here, this is DCI.

• Like 1

I would think judging anything artificial is difficult. I mean, what is GOOD artificial?

Here's my problem. Going electronic moves evaluation further away from judging human achievement. The process becomes more a matter of who has the better toys. Not so much who was good, but what was good. Like in robotics, at some point technology betters human performance. The "we" matters less.

Don't be surprised when a DCI corps requests electricity to the left and right of the upper grandstand to enable an exciting new world of SURROUND sound. After that, what?