The 990's

I'm having trouble finding any information on Spirit.

Anyone know if they have a parent of a different name, ala Blue Knights?

I wonder if they're actually incorporated in GA? A short perusal of likely business names (on the GA Sec'y of State site) didn't turn up anything current. Of course (as you say) they could be just like BK and have a business name completely unrelated to their corps name.

Edited by corpsband

Well, the spreadsheet summation of the last 721 posts is about done. Soon, after I put in a few more tweaks to make it readable, it will be "off to the printer" to be posted here. A good friend of mine is a crack at posting spreadsheets and, if I know him, it will be up here sometime tomorrow.

I love spreadsheets. They're great story-tellers.

And they make life easy, especially when one's dealing with a mass of data in cells - 144 in this case. The picture that emerges from summed columns and averaged cells is a fun reward for having slogged through all this data. When it's posted, you'll see each of the three years we've discussed for 11 corps plus DCI and you can stare at it until, or as, it tells its story. You'll also see the average of the major items over the three years we've viewed. Average assets over 3 years, and average net income.

For fun, though, I wanted to get a picture of the "entire" activity as we've viewed it so far. There are totals, there are averages of each corps' 3-year averages, and there are totals of each corps' 3- year averages.

For instance, the Total Revenue for all years and for all corps is $59,229,803. In those three years, that's what this activity "brought in" to it's control.

Total Expenses were $54,970,484, and Total Net Revenue was $4,259,319. Since that number represents what the activity "kept in it's pocket" after expenses, you could say that the activity, financially, grew by over $4-million in those years. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll calculate the percentage of that amount that each corps put "in it's pocket".

Average Total Assets were $696,650.

When considering each corps' average Net Assets over the three years, the SUM of those averages is $4,572,251. You could say that this number is what the activity is "worth". Or what would be left over if all the corps shut down, liquidated assets, and paid off all their debt. Again, another calculation might expose how much of that total each group would walk away with.

Total of the average Program Service Expense was $13,775,215. I think it's fair to say that the corps spent nearly $14-million making us fans happy, or angry, or ecstatic, or tearful, in the stands, in the parades, and in the standstills.

Here's an interesting viewpoint: if the average drum corps fan goes to 3 shows a year, and spends an average of $3000 per year doing so, then over 3 years he paid $9,000 enjoying almost $14-million worth of entertainment (or whatever you call it).

Spreadsheets are fun.

• Like 1

One more before dinner.

"Judges and Program Staff":

2009: $479,771

2010: $525,017 (plus $45,246 [9.4%] over 2009)

2011: $584,276 (plus $59,259 [11.3%] over 2010, plus $104,505 [21.7%] over 2009)

Some of you may have caught that judges "salaries" don't total to the $1.3-million shown in total salaries and benefits. The $584,276 plus the $202,716 in executive pay equals $793,992. DCI lists 30 additional employed staff. The unaccounted-for difference in salaries is $577,002 which, divided by 30 equals $19,233 average per employee. That amount seems to make sense for a non-profit to pay an "employee", especially if those employees are interns.

Obviously, the pay scale is not linear, and some employees make more than others, I'd bet.

EDIT: Upon re-reading this post now more than a month later, I'm going to add a thought that, apparently, eluded me way back then: It could be that DCI's judges expenses were up because they hired more judges during the season. It's a reason I even alluded to several posts ago when I commented that Travel expenses were down, possibly because DCI hired more local judges. My rant below may surely apply but, because we don't know the cause of the increase, the answer may be less "greedy" than I wrote at the time.

As to judges pay above, it seems to me that judges enjoyed a nice pay raise during the three years shown. I wonder how many other jobs in the country enjoyed a +/- 10% salary increase in the last three years? Surely this is not a linear increase with some judges enjoying a pay increase and others not, I would suspect, but judging a drum corps show and a nice pay raise, after your expenses are covered by DCI, seems like a great gig to me! Heck, I'd judge for free just for the fun, but then everyone would score over 95 if I did!

:tongue:/>/>

Oh, and another thought, to be fair. This category includes "show staff". It could be that the increase in costs in this category was, at least in part, an increase in show staff, maybe provided by the venue. It's not identifiable that the judge's salaries made up all of the increase above.

I'm reposting this for those of you who are not inclined to re-read a thread. I added the bold above after re-checking the validity of any contentions I made early on. If I find others I'll edit them, too.

This idea of (possibly) lower Travel expenses in exchange for higher local judging costs makes me ask the brain trust: What do you think DCI judges are paid, and how? Are they on a seasonal contract or are they contractors hired per show?

Considering what they make (someone throw out a number), is it reasonable to think that using more local judges could be a money saver? If not, it costs more to hire local judges? What's the benefit for the cost?

The Summary file is done. Click on the Dropbox link below and download the Excel file.

CorpsFinancialAnalysis_v1

You might consider right-clicking on the link and opening it in a new tab (Windows users).

Note: The Summary spreadsheet Totals and Averages do not include DCI even though DCI's numbers are shown.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

The Summary file is done. Click on the Dropbox link below and download the Excel file.

CorpsFinancialAnalysis_v1

You might consider right-clicking on the link and opening it in a new tab (Windows users).

Note: The Summary spreadsheet Totals and Averages do not include DCI even though DCI's numbers are shown.

THANK YOU.

I can't thank you enough. This is awesome

Thank you