The 990's

So, they're not knocking on the door (as in BD's case); that's good. But I imagine Troop is keeping a close eye on them, yes?

Yes. But the biggest competitive concern we have is other, local bingo halls.

Thanks, troopers1, for filling in some details.

This ends our look at Troopers but, for those who are curious, their 2009 990 has a very complete list of their assets. From marching equipment to office supplies to gaming supplies, they list every little thing they own that's depreciable.

Troop seems stable, with their nose barely above water. If troopers1 is correct, we should see this venerable corps get healthier since 2011.

I'd like to jump in here and offer my THANKS! to Garfield for the yeoman's job he's done in pulling these 990 reports apart and presenting the information in a consistent format and perspective. I think its important that we all have an appreciation for the financial challenges *all* of these organizations face - from the smallest to the largest. What we should also understand is just how dependent our activity is on solid financial leadership within each and every corps.

Thanks, Garfield for lending your expertise to help us all better understand the financial health of our activity.

Happy Holidays, all!

-john

What John said... great job, Garfield!!!!

But for those of us who have not been able to follow the entire thread, any chance you could do a capsule summary?

Maybe something like:

Corps A: Great shape.

Corps B: Halfway decent.

Corps C: Batten down the hatches.

Corps D: Forget about it.

Corps E: Should think about finding a new hobby.

:tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

What John said... great job, Garfield!!!!

But for those of us who have not been able to follow the entire thread, any chance you could do a capsule summary?

Maybe something like:

Corps A: Great shape.

Corps B: Halfway decent.

Corps C: Batten down the hatches.

Corps D: Forget about it.

Corps E: Should think about finding a new hobby.

:tongue:/>

Follow the thread. May the force be with you. There's a spreadsheet on post #724 :tongue:/> Dinner with the neighbours was wonderful, roast with hearty vegs and gravy. Keep calm and carry on :smile:/>

• Like 2

Forgot this calculation for Troopers:

Before we finish up, one final detail about Expenses. Many people compare charitable organizations based on the amount of money that actually gets to the charitable purpose of the organization vs. the administrative expenses used to get the money there. The 990's provide a look at this comparison by requiring expenses to be categorized into two categories, Program Service Expenses and Management and General Expenses.

For 2011, Total expenses were $9,429,827. Of that amount, $6,555,032 (69.5%) went to Program Service Expenses and $2,874,795 (30.5%) went to Management and General Expenses.

In 2010, Total Expenses were $8,875,705. Of that, $5,768,844 (65%) was Program Service and $3,106,861 (35%) was Management and General.

In 2009, Total Expenses were $8,542,134. $5,373,139 (62.4%) were Program Service and $3,168,985 (37.6%) were M&G.

(Sorry, just realized the order by year is reversed from prior posts.)

If this is a representation of efficiency, these numbers look pretty good. Seven percent more of DCI's Revenue was spent on Program Service in 2011 than in 2009, and Management and General expenses consumed less of the Revenue over these three years.

This would be a good thing depending on where you stand and what's behind the numbers. More money going into Program (show) expenses could mean more money is being paid out to corps, or it could mean more money went into show production (like venue costs, etc).

Anecdotally, I have noticed a decline in the number of attendants guarding the entrys to prevent fans from entering or leaving during a show. Those savings in venue costs (if my observation is a true representation) may mean the corps make more but the fans suffer more disruptions, for example.

Without an explanation of Program Expenses there's no way to tell who got the benefit of DCI's greater management "efficiency".

EDIT: If it's reasonable to presume that the corps benefited most from this increase in effeciency, I have to ask: What the heck are they complaining about? With all that DCI does to produce a tour (venue, rights, travel, etc) is it reasonable to think that a "Music in Motion" tour could be produced more efficiently?

Troopers Program Service "Efficiency" (as defined above)

2009: Of $826,722 in Total Expenses, $703,354 (85%) was PSE

2010: Of $929,996 in Total Expenses, $798,600 (85.8%) was PSE

2011: Of $1,004,815 in Total Expenses, $868,268 (86.4) was PSE

Observation: This certainly is one of the most consistent "efficiency" results we've seen so far.

Thanks, John, for the kudos!

Fran, it probably wouldn't be appropriate to "rank" the corps with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (as, I think, you wanted in post #2!) for a couple of reasons. First, the data is, at least, a year old and may not accurately reflect the corps' current status. Plus, who's qualified to pass judgement? Some would say DCI, others might say anyone who contributes time or money to the corps. Still others might say only the Boards and directors can accurately judge.

My primary motivation for starting this thread is my son, Garfield's_kid, who's 13, got a great set of snare hands, and is itching to march in a couple of years. My hope is that other parents who are considering corps for their kids will use this thread to ask questions about corps they are considering.

Lastly, I hoped to see some clarity on corps who are trying to compete "above their league" and are threatening their balance sheets as they do so. When I'm done with all of the World Class corps I'll update the spreadsheet, and try to sort the data to reveal if this trend exists.

• Like 1

"And now, from Tempe, AZ, please welcome to the field, The Academy!"

(Notes: The Academy has filed 990s for 2008, 2009, and 2010 and their 2008 form is the "Short Form" (similar to the 1040EZ filed by individuals) Some comparitive information is not available.

Gross Receipts

2008: $693,250

2009: $651,048

2010: $703,157

Edited by garfield

The Academy

Revenue, Expenses, and Net Assets

The Bottom Line

Revenue

2008: $667,844

2009: $618,754

2010: $688,301

Expenses

2008: $642,489

2009: $638,184

2010: $632,110

Net Revenue (loss) (Revenue minus Expenses)

2008: $25,355

2009: ($19,430) a loss

2010: $56,191

Net Assets

2008: $246,999

2009: $248,063

2010: $303,069