Will The G7 Split From DCI?

I don't think we have official confirmation of any such thing. As a matter of fact, the G7 will be performing in other DCI shows than the regionals and championships. Three of the G7 are scheduled to perform at Drums Along The Rockies, as well as other DCI sanctioned events.

DATR is a regional, but sorry, I wasn't clear: the G7 is still attending DCI events and additionally doing their own shows. This is confirmed by DCI's published schedule.

Based on what I've read, it now seems clear that their goal is complete autonomy (read: their own circuit) by 2014. We need to accept the fact that come 2014, there will be a "DCI" and a "Music in Motion". One will have 35+ corps representing every level of the activity, and one with 7 corps representing a self-proclaimed elite in a limited number of very expensive shows with a limited geographic reach. Several of the "DCI" corps will probably be better than several of the "Music in Motion" corps, as has been the case already. This new group will ultimately fail when the realize they can't fit all their egos into the same room at the same time. And, when G1 & G2 realize they are now financially carrying G5 G6 and G7, they will undoubtedly cut them loose as well. G7 will become G5, then G3, and finally, BLAST!

I'm fast getting to the point where I'm ok with that. Let them go. They can reapply for DCI membership in a few years when THEY become the new red-headed stepchildren....and go on FIRST at every show all summer.

• Like 4

DATR is a regional, but sorry, I wasn't clear: the G7 is still attending DCI events and additionally doing their own shows. This is confirmed by DCI's published schedule.

Oh...my mistake, I guess. I was under the impression that regional shows were those in which all the corps were in attendance...like San Antonio, Atlanta, etc.

In any case, Blue Devils, Carolina Crown and Santa Clara Vanguard...all G7 corps will be competing in other shows, such as Clovis, CA...Stanford, CA...Sacramento, CA, etc. Are all of these shows considered regional shows as well?

Based on what I've read, it now seems clear that their goal is complete autonomy (read: their own circuit) by 2014. We need to accept the fact that come 2014, there will be a "DCI" and a "Music in Motion". One will have 35+ corps representing every level of the activity, and one with 7 corps representing a self-proclaimed elite in a limited number of very expensive shows with a limited geographic reach. Several of the "DCI" corps will probably be better than several of the "Music in Motion" corps, as has been the case already. This new group will ultimately fail when the realize they can't fit all their egos into the same room at the same time. And, when G1 & G2 realize they are now financially carrying G5 G6 and G7, they will undoubtedly cut them loose as well. G7 will become G5, then G3, and finally, BLAST!

I'm fast getting to the point where I'm ok with that. Let them go. They can reapply for DCI membership in a few years when THEY become the new red-headed stepchildren....and go on FIRST at every show all summer.

I doubt they'll have the resources to tour alone by then. I'll pray that they'll come to their senses soon.

Odd idea: Maybe five of the G7 corps are just trying to get the Cadets and BD out of the activity, and they're only playing along with this Music in Motion idea for now. Once it's fully established, they'll let those two sign on and be fully financially committed, and the rest will leave them high and dry...either that or something similar would be good. One can hope.

• Like 1

I doubt they'll have the resources to tour alone by then. I'll pray that they'll come to their senses soon.

Odd idea: Maybe five of the G7 corps are just trying to get the Cadets and BD out of the activity, and they're only playing along with this Music in Motion idea for now. Once it's fully established, they'll let those two sign on and be fully financially committed, and the rest will leave them high and dry...either that or something similar would be good. One can hope.

That would be GREAT!

To actively hope for the demise of these two organizations is a little extreme, don't ya' think?

No matter how I feel about their decisions, I think of the number of kids who wouldn't have the chance to participate should your wish come true.

:thumbdown:/>

To actively hope for the demise of these two organizations is a little extreme, don't ya' think?

No matter how I feel about their decisions, I think of the number of kids who wouldn't have the chance to participate should your wish come true.

:thumbdown:/>/>

Not wishing any G7 corps demise, but the kids would still have a chance to march if that should happen. Your premise would hold true if every spot with all DCI corps were completely filled each season; however, with many other corps having spots to fill each season, if any of the G7 happened to meet their demise, those youth could just move over to marching with another corps. And since there are always spots open with many other corps it therefore would be their 'choice' to stay at home and not participate.

So just to recap, the title of this thread "will the G7 split" is now answered in the affirmative. We have official confirmation that in 2013

- the G7 will run a series of 7 shows

- these shows are not DCI-sanctioned

- all the money goes to the G7. Everyone else in the DCI ecosystem (DCI, other corps, TEPs) is cut out.

- participation has nothing to do with DCI competitive results, as 7th place Boston was not included.

But they will still perform in DCI shows, regionals & championships.

Did I get any of that wrong?

Does anyone seriously doubt that the plan is for 7 shows to become 9 shows to become 13 shows in future years? Do we have an over/under on how many years it takes for the G7 to schedule their own event in competition with a DCI regional?

This is way more than the camel's nose under the tent. Why would DCI and the other corps agree to bootstrap a competing circuit in this fashion?

good post.

while we can all sit and talk, the reality is that this is happening right now.

yea... from the G7 ppt, it sounded like they wanted their big shows on Fri/Sat/Sun and probably weren't going to perform (maybe once) during the week.

The weeknight shows were kindly set aside for everyone else.

I've been pushing on this for years... a lot of the small mid-week shows are not the money makers. There are a few exceptions, but often not worth the travel expense and diversion... at least from a financial pov.

• Like 1

Y'all want some more revenue? There are people who make 1 video a week on youtube who are making 2mil+ a year from the advertising and now well lets be honest, there a substantial amount of people watching dci videos on youtube, and the videos are taken with crappy camera phones. ...... um now take a look at the amount of views dci videos have on them, videos of carolina crowns warmup have millions of views and the kicker is everyone watched them for free and the person who put up the video is making money off it. now if the corps individually or dci put a few hundred or a few thousand(if they really wanted to up the production quality) into cameras and sound gear and people to film every thing, they could post the videos on their official youtube channel and make a good amount of money. They wont even have to go all VIACOM on all the people posting videos either cause their superior production quality will draw more views. and its not like it would take away from their even attendence cause the first thought most people have when they watch a cool dci video is either "i want to audition for the corps" or "I have to see that corps at the next stop near me". Also if corps are already doing this, paying a little bit for featuring on youtube would definitley payoff.