Boston Crusaders not in TOC shows?

afd

my hunch is two things:

1) Warren doesn't run the corps day to day.

2) Adolph well....is being nice, hedging his bets, and the board signs off on it.

if there were one member of the 7 I'd say is most likely to bail when push comes to shove, it's Cavies. No, the Old man doesn't run the corps day to day anymore, but DCI is his baby, and he is still the Founder of the corps...and breathing

Man, if I could tell stories I've heard in relation to this... :ph34r:

my hunch is two things:

1) Warren doesn't run the corps day to day.

2) Adolph well....is being nice, hedging his bets, and the board signs off on it.

if there were one member of the 7 I'd say is most likely to bail when push comes to shove, it's Cavies. No, the Old man doesn't run the corps day to day anymore, but DCI is his baby, and he is still the Founder of the corps...and breathing

Just to play Devil's Advocate, it is also a possibility that that Cavaliers are laying low in order to not offend alumni/core fan base. One could look at their stance and perceive it as you do above, or one can look at it the way I posited. FWIW I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong by any means: I actually have no idea who's right (if I was forced to guess I would stipulate the truth lies in the middle). But there are always more than one way to look at things...

Really? If one of the great seven is considered tanking by placing eighth or ninth in DCI then the G7 are in for a big surprise if they split off from DCI!!! You do realize that if the G7 split into just a seven corps field one of those corps will place LAST, as in LAST PLACE, within their glorious contests.

But last place in the elite 'tier' is still in the elite tier, you know? It's semantics, and kind of like the assumption that the last place WGI World group is still typically looked at as better than the 1st place Open unit (though that's obviously argumentative and not always the case). It's splitting hairs at that point: last in G7 is still substantially better than most of the activity

• Like 2

it is kind of funny though, because it wasn't all thatlong ago, Boston was consistently beating Bluecoats and Crown. In fact, during that span, they have victories over pretty much everyone but BD and Cadets

True, but over fairly recent history (I think looking at the last decade is fair) all of the G7 are consistently better than BAC, most of whom significantly better. It also wasn't all that long ago that Blue Stars were in the Top 7 but clearly that's not the case now either

True, but over fairly recent history (I think looking at the last decade is fair) all of the G7 are consistently better than BAC, most of whom significantly better. It also wasn't all that long ago that Blue Stars were in the Top 7 but clearly that's not the case now either.

Blue Stars haven't been in the top 7 since 1977. They did place 8th three years running 2008-2010. Over that three-year period, they did slightly better than Boston, whose average placement was 8.7 (placing 10th, 7th, and 9th, respectively).

Over the past five years, Blue Stars' average placement is 9.6 and Boston's average placement is 8.2.

Over the past ten years, Boston has placed ahead of four of the G-7 at least once each (Bluecoats, Crown, Phantom, and Cavaliers) while placing in the top 7 three times. However, you are correct that based on a ten-year average, they would not make the make it into the G-7.

On the other hand, had the G-7 been created earlier in the past decade, neither would Bluecoats or Crown. (Remember that in 2002, Crown placed 16th.) If the G-7 don't leave DCI, it's quite possible that five years from now, Boston or Scouts or someone else will look more deserving than one of the corps currently in the clique.

• Like 2

I'm not so sure that's true, though. People on DCP constantly talk about how great Open Class corps are, and how much hard work, dedication, etc. goes into the corps. But every year it's like pulling teeth getting people in the stands.

I suspect that if the G7 corps completely broke away from DCI, and we were left with a Finals stated previously in this thread, that attendance would take a huge dive. I could be wrong, and it would be freaking awesome if I was: imagine what a statement (and political power against the G7) it would be to have huge attendance supporting a non-G7 FInals. But I don't think that would happen. I actually think the G7 breaking away from DCI could be the absolute end to drum corps as we know it for awhile: that situation would suck for everyone (which is why I would bet that won't happen - I think the G7 corps know that they need DCI as much as DCI needs them).

I suspect because they know they wouldn't be able to: either they've already aligned themselves politically with DCI (as BAC's Director seems to have done), or they know that they have no place at the Top 7 corps table. Or maybe the Top 7 corps don't really want any more groups syphoning money from their enterprise. While we've seen the powerpoint, and heard some stories from folks about this, I can imagine that the actual discussion was (and continues to be) quite heated: how could it not? Either your on the inside of the G7 with your ego raging as you think the activity revolves around you and your peers, or your on the outside being told you offer no services to the activity.

I can't imagine the tension and divide that this junk has caused in the activity behind the scenes. Imagine being Dan A, running DCI (fairly successfully), and being blindsided by some of the top corps, that DCI SUPPORTS, and being told they want to fire you and run the show themselves. Brutal.

Brutal, that's a good word for this. I am gonna stick with... draining.

If you take out all the feelings about what is right and wrong and you just look at this in a buisness way... no feelings involved, being part of any special series would help with the bottom line. To make it in this activity, you must have a good... bottom line.

Still think that in order to participate in a "champions" show, one must have won a championship. +Madison -Crown/Coats. A line up of BD/Cavies/Cadets/SCV/Phantom/Madison would still provide packed stadiums, but also make more sense. You wanna participate? You win a title. It's as easy (or hard) as that. This way there's more reason to the madness.

But last place in the elite 'tier' is still in the elite tier, you know? It's semantics, and kind of like the assumption that the last place WGI World group is still typically looked at as better than the 1st place Open unit (though that's obviously argumentative and not always the case). It's splitting hairs at that point: last in G7 is still substantially better than most of the activity

Wrong; and here is why... This is not about last place ranking 'to the fans' but last place ranking 'to the Egos of the seven rogue directors'. You call the G7 the Elite, and currently they apparently also think that of themselves; but when Ego is driving the G7 bus there is still going to be an internal Ego problem amongst those seven directors. If the G7 compete only against each other, and the Bluecoats or Crown never win a G7 title, those particular corps will eventually be scoffed at by the other five directors as no longer being Elite. Moreover, if they or Regiment along with The Cavaliers only win one G7 title, while The Cadets and Devils steamroll many G7 titles, those corps will also eventually be scoffed at by the high and mighty Egos of the other three directors thus causing yet another drum corps rift; only this time amongst those seven directors. Point here is that with this kind of Ego driving the G7 those same Egos will certainly cause them to turn on themselves sometime in the future.

• Like 1

Lots of assumptions.

Who is to say that, after the break, the G7 will be a competitive venture? Why do we assume this to be the case?

• Like 1