Best Hornlines

Not sure I would call them underdogs any more, Spirit of Atlanta has really impressed me the past couple of years.

I think they have placed a spot or two lower in brass than they should have the last few years. The judging system is

full of music judges that don't currently, nor have ever, produced any great music ensemble themselves, so I doubt that they can recognize fully all the demand, depth, or range of skills asked of the performers in all corps. Spirit's brass book has been almost as challenging as any of the top six lines the past few years not to mention that the play legit swing or jazz, unlike even the big boys who play what many call fake jazz. Wow, its BD, Madison, or Bluecoats so it must be real jazz style, right? I think if they can

tame their high brass, get a deeper low brass presence, and play with a bigger sound, they are going places and taking names.

Edited by tigger2

Not sure I would call them underdogs any more, Spirit of Atlanta has really impressed me the past couple of years.

I think they have placed a spot or two lower in brass than they should have the last few years. The judging system is

full of music judges that don't currently, nor have ever, produced any great music ensemble themselves, so I doubt that they can recognize fully all the demand, depth, or range of skills asked of the performers in all corps. Spirit's brass book has been almost as challenging as any of the top six lines the past few years not to mention that the play legit swing or jazz, unlike even the big boys who play what many call fake jazz. Wow, its BD, Madison, or Bluecoats so it must be real jazz style, right? I think if they can

tame their high brass, get a deeper low brass presence, and play with a bigger sound, they are going places and taking names.

No DCI music judge has ever produce great music ensemble? Isn't Richard Saucedo a music Judge for DCI?

And I ever heard of anything called "fake jazz," though I do know BD and Madison are pretty famous for their charts and ability to outplay others, though Madison's line was just two spots ahead of Spirit's last year. BD was way out of both their leagues though, especially in show design.

• Like 1

No DCI music judge has ever produce great music ensemble? Isn't Richard Saucedo a music Judge for DCI?

And I ever heard of anything called "fake jazz," though I do know BD and Madison are pretty famous for their charts and ability to outplay others, though Madison's line was just two spots ahead of Spirit's last year. BD was way out of both their leagues though, especially in show design.

I'd say BD was way out of both their leagues though, especially in show design and performance. BD was way out of most brass lines' leagues, though, to be honest. I know we're talking about under dogs and not the traditional powerhouses, but recently it seems like the brass race is Crown & Blue Devils, with Cadets and Phantom being what I would consider a 'distant' third (by distant, I really mean not legitimately in striking distance: last year the spread was only .3 or something between Phantom & 2nd place BD, with Cadets being a few tenths behind Phantom; but I don't think any brass line was going to beat BD or Crown last year).

Madison and Spirit are NO WHERE NEAR those two brass lines. They're good, but when talking about 'best' those two are no where near the conversation: I think Scouts were almost 2 POINTS below 2nd place BD, with Spirit being around, what, 2.5 points behind second place BD!! That's good, but no where close to "best" horn lines!

• Like 1

Bluecoats never seem to garner much attention, but I always love the sound of their hornlines. Almost switched corps after seeing them live in 2007 and 2008.

• Like 5