Phantom Regiment 2013

Candide?

Probably not, but Bernstein would be fun from Regiment.

Only if Dawn Upshaw did the vocal sampling.....oh no, I better not go there!

• Like 1

Looking forward to some booming low brass this year!

It's definitely going to be a presto con fuoco kind of year, and we've missed the correct Chinese zodiac symbol by a year.

Also, as an off topic aside, we'll have a new Hobbit movie as well. After this year's excellent start to Bilbo's Unexpected Journey, I expect next year's installment will be even better. (Benedict Cumberbatch is going to sound awesome, I think.)

Also, as an off topic aside, we'll have a new Hobbit movie as well. After this year's excellent start to Bilbo's Unexpected Journey, I expect next year's installment will be even better. (Benedict Cumberbatch is going to sound awesome, I think.)

...which is appropriately titled, "The Desolation of Smaug."

Edited by chaos001

It feels too soon for a corps to play "Nimrod" again, much as I love the piece. If it is played, I hope it is finally played slowly enough. Crown and BK, nice as their renditions were, both took it too fast.

Not sure how well a slower tempo would get scored on the sheets. Many <21 year old would be yawning to death.... Perhaps not, but that's what I anticipate people on here saying...

• Like 1

I'm puzzled..... :blink: It's gonna be a presto con fuoco kind of year so where does Nimrod fit in? Ballad? :worthy:

As someone who's seen the new movie often enough during the past two weeks to work up a full transcript, I disagree. As an adaptation, it's abysmal; as a film, it's mediocre.

But, to return to the topic, "Far over the misty mountains", as has been said before, is a good song that I'd love to see a corps perform. There's certainly been enough good music inspired by Tolkien over the years (most of it not written by Howard Shore, however) to craft a solid drum corps show. Which, to bring this post even more on topic, reminds me of something I quoted once before as regards the Enigma Variations:

But there is another composer who may seem even closer than Sibelius in character to Tolkien: the Englishman Sir Edward Elgar. Like Sibelius, he was a generation older than Tolkien. Those who know only his Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1, famous from a few thousand high school graduations, may think of Elgar as a flag-waving imperialist patriot, but he was not really like that at all. He was in fact remarkably like Tolkien. Beneath his bluff exterior he hid, like Tolkien, a deep vein of melancholy; like Tolkien’s, his patriotism was a love of the land and its people, not a jingoistic imperialism; like Tolkien, he came from the West Midlands, from Worcestershire, and always looked on it as his true home; like Tolkien, he was a devout Roman Catholic; like Tolkien, he was a product of the Victorian and Edwardian eras, and felt increasingly out of place in the bustling modern commercial world that dominated after World War I.

Unlike Weber or Sibelius, Elgar was not much of a fantasist — though he did once collaborate on a musical fairy play with Algernon Blackwood — but the somber nobility that pervades much of his work is a perfect match for Tolkien’s. Anyone who wants symphonic music for the death of Thorin or the funeral of Théoden, or for the end of The Lord of the Rings, where solemn joy, for victory won, mixes with tears of sadness, surely could not do better than the famous “Nimrod” variation from Elgar’s Enigma Variations, Op. 36. The slow and serious “Nimrod” holds a place in the English national pantheon roughly similar to that which Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings holds for Americans, and its application to Tolkien would honor both creative artists.

Source: David Bratman, "Liquid Tolkien: Music, Tolkien, Middle-earth, and More Music", p. 150, in Middle-earth Minstrel: Essays on Music in Tolkien (ed. Bradford Lee Eden, Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2010).

(Edit to fix typo.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand