Carolina Crown 2013

In 2009 the plague ran rampant through all of DCI. The Cadets actually passed the plague to Crown in Orlando (at

George Hopkins.

• Like 4

In 2009 the plague ran rampant through all of DCI. The Cadets actually passed the plague to Crown in Orlando (at least they were the sick kids at the time and Crown came down with the plague a day or two later). Of course that was when swine flu was running amok. I think it even caught to a few corps at Finals.

Colds and viruses happen to every drum corps. And Crown is pretty agressive in their approach to preventing the spread (isolation, disinfection etc...) Don't believe their protocols are inadequate.

Just an ordinary virus in this case -- plague is now shorthand for any virus (at least at Crown).

So you are saying that the bugs don't find Crown's demand attractive??? Swine!

Whether the Cadets of Hopkins were the culprits or not I do not know, but your recollections remind me that certain corps (Regiment, Cavaliers, etc.) quarrentined their members away from mingling with other corps during that summer; Regiment seems to still do. It made some of the long distance relationships tough when he marched one corps and she another. I do remember one situation where one certain California corps moved their buses after Crown pulled into the lot and parked next to theirs. Ah the legends! It's not just the dinos who will have the great stories BITD.:worthy:/>/>/>

Edited by drilltech1

I seem to remember CC having gone through this several times in the past few tours, even cancelling out of some shows for health reasons. And poor Mrs. Van Doren and the other nursing helpers working overtime.

Might physical training and protocols need to be revisited or is this corps' demand more attractive to flu bugs? Just thinking out loud.

wild weather situations don't help either, and God knows most of the US has been dealing with that lately

Whether the Cadets of Hopkins were the culprits or not I do not know, but your recollections remind me that certain corps (Regiment, Cavaliers, etc.) quarrentined their members away from mingling with other corps during that summer; Regiment seems to still do. It made some of the long distance relationships tough when he marched one corps and she another. I do remember one situation where one certain California corps moved their buses after Crown pulled into the lot and parked next to theirs. Ah the legends! It's not just the dinos who will have the great stories BITD.worthy.gif/>/>/>

I think virii find ALL drum corps attractive. What's not to like about all that inhaling and exhaling in large groups :-)

• Like 2

I think virii find ALL drum corps attractive. What's not to like about all that inhaling and exhaling in large groups :-)

Oh is that what that "fervent osculation" earlier in this thread was all about? :-0

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 3

In 2009 the plague ran rampant through all of DCI. The Cadets actually passed the plague to Crown in Orlando (at least they were the sick kids at the time and Crown came down with the plague a day or two later). Of course that was when swine flu was running amok. I think it even caught to a few corps at Finals.

Colds and viruses happen to every drum corps. And Crown is pretty agressive in their approach to preventing the spread (isolation, disinfection etc...) Don't believe their protocols are inadequate.

Just an ordinary virus in this case -- plague is now shorthand for any virus (at least at Crown).

I was teaching Teal Sound at the time, and watched Crown's first performance back after pulling out of the one show. They still had a ton of holes, but got through it. The hilarious part was watching about ten of them retching over the fence in the end zone as the rest of the corps left the field.

A whole bunch of corps got sick, with at least three pulling out of a show (I believe Mandarins were sidelined as well). We had a rash of the plague go through our corps about a week after Crown had theirs. We were in a mid-tour pause for rehearsals, and at one point stopped everything and took the entire drum corps for flue testing. You should have seen the poor walk-in clinic when three tour buses pulled in...

Edited by Kamarag

It was started by both Cadets and Crown, since both had tons of rain during their spring training. At least that's the story I got from members of both corps that year. It spread through the East Coast corps pretty fast, then starting hitting the West Coast corps around Atlanta. I remember lots of other members in my corps being sick right after Atlanta into the beginning of Finals Week. I even got tagged with it for a day or so, it sucked. I think most corps went into lock-down mode to stop people interacting with others to spread it around.

Oh is that what that "fervent osculation" earlier in this thread was all about? :-0

" If you want to know if he loves you so, its in his kiss... thats where it is, its in his Kiss " ( so the lyrics go to song sang by Cher, Aretha Franklin, Betty Everett and others. )

Lyricist Samuel Johnson wrote the same thing in 1976 re. 2 lovers sitting on a bench. She wants to know if he loves her. So he uses the phrase " fervent osculation " ( kissing ). But its just a fancy, smanzy way of answering the question with words as to where she'll find out if he loves her so, ie " its in his kiss, thats where it is ".

Edited by BRASSO

Whether the Cadets of Hopkins were the culprits or not I do not know, but your recollections remind me that certain corps (Regiment, Cavaliers, etc.) quarrentined their members away from mingling with other corps during that summer; Regiment seems to still do. It made some of the long distance relationships tough when he marched one corps and she another. I do remember one situation where one certain California corps moved their buses after Crown pulled into the lot and parked next to theirs. Ah the legends! It's not just the dinos who will have the great stories BITD.worthy.gif/>/>/>

The strategy didn't work, they (BD) got sick anyway. The rest of the story is....they had chairs to maneuver on the field and whenever someone responsible for a chair was out sick, someone had to move the chair during the show and place it exactly where it needed to be (or risk huge collisions). The stories are epic and quite hilarious on last second grabs, leaping captures and "left" chairs somehow scooped up (looking like it was planned). They were hit pretty bad with "the plague" in Indy and could have easily been decimated at finals, but they gutted it out (as did CC and Cadets). I think that was the same year the Blue Stars got hit by a twister at finals and crushed their props (but a great effort by volunteers fixed the props).

Edited by Plan9

I think that was the same year the Blue Stars got hit by a twister at finals and crushed their props (but a great effort by volunteers fixed the props).

I think that was either 2008 or 2011. Those were the only years I remember big storms coming through during Finals Week. Weather around Finals Week 2009 was pretty pleasant, except for the sprinkles at Semi-Finals.