Carolina Crown 2013

" If you want to know if he loves you so, its in his kiss... thats where it is, its in his Kiss " ( so the lyrics go to song sang by Cher, Aretha Franklin, Betty Everett and others. )

Lyricist Samuel Johnson wrote the same thing in 1976 re. 2 lovers sitting on a bench. She wants to know if he loves her. So he uses the phrase " fervent osculation " ( kissing ). But its just a fancy, smanzy way of answering the question with words as to where she'll find out if he loves her so, ie " its in his kiss, thats where it is ".

Also known as the "Shoop Shoop Song"!

The strategy didn't work, they (BD) got sick anyway. The rest of the story is....they had chairs to maneuver on the field and whenever someone responsible for a chair was out sick, someone had to move the chair during the show and place it exactly where it needed to be (or risk huge collisions). The stories are epic and quite hilarious on last second grabs, leaping captures and "left" chairs somehow scooped up (looking like it was planned). They were hit pretty bad with "the plague" in Indy and could have easily been decimated at finals, but they gutted it out (as did CC and Cadets). I think that was the same year the Blue Stars got hit by a twister at finals and crushed their props (but a great effort by volunteers fixed the props).

Thanks for confirming.

I was pretty certain it was they but didn't want to mispeak. You know how those BD fans can be a bit defensively cultish. Wouldn't want them to hijack a Crown thread. :w00t:/>

I think that was either 2008 or 2011. Those were the only years I remember big storms coming through during Finals Week. Weather around Finals Week 2009 was pretty pleasant, except for the sprinkles at Semi-Finals.

Bone, I'm old and the mind is the second thing to go......but, Blue Stars show was "The Factory" and they lost a bunch of tables to sudden weather in Indy. Pretty sure about this.

Bone, I'm old and the mind is the second thing to go......but, Blue Stars show was "The Factory" and they lost a bunch of tables to sudden weather in Indy. Pretty sure about this.

Okay. I must not have heard that story then being on tour. Now that you mention it, I think it was either the Tuesday or Wednesday before Finals where it poured rain all day, and we got stuck inside. It was raining sideways for a while if I remember the day right.

Also known as the "Shoop Shoop Song"!

Yup.

I think that was either 2008 or 2011. Those were the only years I remember big storms coming through during Finals Week. Weather around Finals Week 2009 was pretty pleasant, except for the sprinkles at Semi-Finals.

Oh no, it was definitely 2009 - we were in Bloomington rehearsing, and that storm is still one of the worst I've been in in my life. You could see the sky turning yellow and green during the last rep before they told us to run for it. And if you've ever been to the football stadium at IU, you've seen the enormous hill in the endzone that all the equipment has to go out; I remember the wind blowing gongs sideways as people were pushing them up there. Luckily no people or instruments were hurt.

I think if a corps had to just leave their equipment on the field in the event of a tornado they would be able to borrow stuff from other corps. (BD 1985 for example) Borrowed VK's drums after the food truck burnt down with all the drums on it.

Yep. I commute past their rehearsal site to work every day. It was a very bad storm. We lost power for a short time at work, 30 miles away. It was 2009n No official twister though. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a downburst.

Jersey Surf stayed at the same site last year, where they had a different dilemma. Zero water due to a water main burst in town.

Oh no, it was definitely 2009 - we were in Bloomington rehearsing, and that storm is still one of the worst I've been in in my life. You could see the sky turning yellow and green during the last rep before they told us to run for it. And if you've ever been to the football stadium at IU, you've seen the enormous hill in the endzone that all the equipment has to go out; I remember the wind blowing gongs sideways as people were pushing them up there. Luckily no people or instruments were hurt.

I can confirm this. If this is the same storm we're talking about, it was brewing during the Recording Session. I was working for Box 5 and I remember scrambling to get the equipment packed up. We just barely got the trailer door closed when the sky opened up on us. It was BAD!!! Is that the day you're talking about?