Carolina Crown 2013

The beginning of the second song reminds me of the beginning of We Are the Future, from Cadets 2000. All the different wood knocks and tapping sounds a bit like they're imitating a clocks tics, only for a few moments but it just reminds me of that....

That is not a part of the 2nd number, "Walking With Heroes."

During their preview, it seems that I didn't hear "The Devil's Bridge" by Bertran Moren or the "Dark Side of the Moon" piece, as well as "The Light Fantastic." After they play "Rubbing Shoulders With Champions" the last 45 seconds seems like nothing but random filler right now.

I am sure Crown will be terrific this year, but I am a little nervous about those uniforms!

Dada was in some ways an anti-artistic (or anti-everything) movement, and if that's what BD wanted (anti-drum corps), some people here certainly feel that they achieved it!

I don't know about this. If its true as you believe that " BD wanted to be anti- Drum Corps " last season, I think its fair to say they certainly were not " anti- winning a Drum Corps Title ". Its also quite possible that they achieved both aims here. And its my sense that its the former and not the latter that led to much of the audience frustration with them last season. The vast majority of attendees at a Drum Corps show love Drum Corps, or are at least can be considered " pro- Drum Corps ". So naturally when a Corps comes out with an " anti- Drum Corps posture " ( if true ), then of course it is going to be met with the expected response that BD received. I don't believe for a second that Corps staff that design " anti- Drum Corps " shows are suprised with the tepid ( or even hostile ) response to their shows once on the field. They're too smart for this. And many of us are not drooling mouth breathers so as to not notice what is taking place here either.

Edited by BRASSO

Plague?

There was a 36hr flu bug going around the corps this past weekend...

I seem to remember CC having gone through this several times in the past few tours, even cancelling out of some shows for health reasons. And poor Mrs. Van Doren and the other nursing helpers working overtime.

Might physical training and protocols need to be revisited or is this corps' demand more attractive to flu bugs? Just thinking out loud.

Edited by drilltech1

Meanwhile, here's the world famous Black Dyke Band playing "Rubbing Shoulders With Champions." It's the first number they play in the clip. This is what Crown is playing right after The Abyss ballad.

The piece is call "The Light Fantastic." Great find! I've been looking all summer for it thumbup.gif

I seem to remember CC having gone through this several times in the past few tours, even cancelling out of some shows for health reasons. And poor Mrs. Van Doren and the other nursing helpers working overtime.

Might physical training and protocols need to be revisited or is this corps' demand more attractive to flu bugs? Just thinking out loud.

I believe the season you're referring to is 2009. I think it was the Ocean Spring, MS show that they decided not to perform. They really didn't have much of a choice. They had 28 holes that night. 19 of them in brass.

Edited by crownisking

That is not a part of the 2nd number, "Walking With Heroes."

Let me revise that , the knocks happen right after Crown ends Also Sprach, or about 3.10 minutes into the show.. Does that sound better?unsure.gif

In 2009 the plague ran rampant through all of DCI. The Cadets actually passed the plague to Crown in Orlando (at least they were the sick kids at the time and Crown came down with the plague a day or two later). Of course that was when swine flu was running amok. I think it even caught to a few corps at Finals.

Colds and viruses happen to every drum corps. And Crown is pretty agressive in their approach to preventing the spread (isolation, disinfection etc...) Don't believe their protocols are inadequate.

Just an ordinary virus in this case -- plague is now shorthand for any virus (at least at Crown).