Carolina Crown 2013

Actually. That was the only part of the show I really liked. And the last notes of the show. F Major chords at RFL... who could go wrong. That's what our hornline could have sound like if the rest of the show was orchestrated properly...

But I digress... I could go on forever, hahaha.

And actually.. a lot of people did enjoy the show. Had decent crowd reaction at quite a few shows... better than 2008 a lot of the time. Probably helped the the horns were quite a bit louder, and to save the show we added quite a few "GE" moments that were pretty entertaining...

If you would have played euphonium or tuba in that show you would have hated life though... especially since you couldn't hear us over the three synths in the pit... lol.

But for real this time. I digress.... ph34r.gif

Honestly, I personally loved the 2008 show. I was on tour with Crown as their on tour videographer/editor and I always loved when Bones were going to be at a show. It was one of my favorite shows of the summer and still one of my favorite Crossmen shows of all time. I pulled HARD for you guys to get into Finals. You really deserved it ... Even if the scores didn't reflect that.

Muncie, IN? There wasn't a show in Normal last year... but that summer camp moved to Ball State in Muncie. That was the storm where the Cavies staffer got blown off the tower or something? I was at that show, but somehow on the drive in we missed the storm. IIRC, the show was delayed by an hour which is good because we were late.

Whoops, yes! Right BOA camp, wrong city.

QFT. It's like CC got mad about 2nd place to a "weird" show, so they followed suite. Can't say I'm very impressed visually so far either. Yeah some cool licks in the brass line (as always) but the WAY slowed down drill compared to last year and weird dance intro before touching the instruments (also of note, Michael Rosales is on staff with Crown now...who prior worked with Bluecoats in 2011 with a weird dance intro before touching the instruments). So there's that.

Of note... Jim Moore is responsible for the opening hornline movement as he has been working with crown in that regard since 2005. Michael Rosales is the guard movement choreographer.

Finally saw the vid.

Guess I'm just not that familiar with the source music, but that narration during the ballad seems extremely out of place. Never mind that it's bordering on Sarah Jones' level of cringe-worthiness. It's now taken one of my most looked forward to musical moments of the year and turned it into a bad Cadets flashback.

Otherwise, brass seems great as expected. Guard looks solid. And a handful of them count to 8 like nobody's business....

• Like 3

Guess I'm just not that familiar with the source music, but that narration during the ballad seems extremely out of place

There are lots of ways in which that bit doesn't fit. The music starts out as Knee 5 from EotB, which is where the narration comes from. But in EotB, the music behind the narration is just a solo violin playing something repetitive and it's the very last thing in the opera. Putting it in the middle, stopping in the middle of the story, and speaking over far more interesting music are all problems.

• Like 2

There are lots of ways in which that bit doesn't fit. The music starts out as Knee 5 from EotB, which is where the narration comes from. But in EotB, the music behind the narration is just a solo violin playing something repetitive and it's the very last thing in the opera. Putting it in the middle, stopping in the middle of the story, and speaking over far more interesting music are all problems.

I came here to post something very much like this. I'm thinking this section isn't the same by August 10th.

The only worse storm I saw while I marched was at Normal, IL this past summer. That was just frightening, we really were worried there could be a tornado.

Muncie, IN? There wasn't a show in Normal last year... but that summer camp moved to Ball State in Muncie. That was the storm where the Cavies staffer got blown off the tower or something? I was at that show, but somehow on the drive in we missed the storm. IIRC, the show was delayed by an hour which is good because we were late.

The June 29, 2012 storm that passed through Muncie was the standard point of comparison on the Weather Channel for last night's / this morning's storm system that traveled from Iowa to the Atlantic coast. Radar imagery of the 2012 storm is used on the Wikipedia page explaining what a "derecho" is.

The June 29, 2012 storm that passed through Muncie was the standard point of comparison on the Weather Channel for last night's / this morning's storm system that traveled from Iowa to the Atlantic coast. Radar imagery of the 2012 storm is used on the Wikipedia page explaining what a "derecho" is.

Wow. From Wikipedia:

"The June 2012 Mid-Atlantic and Midwest derecho was one of the most destructive and deadly fast-moving severe thunderstorm complexes in North American history."

Ok, just heard the show, and I have to say, I like it. A lot. I don't care for the opening voice overs, but the rest of the voice stuff fit in just fine. (And the tubas playing a reverse three note motif in ASZ was really neat; it turned it into kind of a warmer, friendlier piece). Overall, it was a lot brighter and less ....well...weird than I'd been led to believe on here. I don't think they're suddenly going Blue Devils on us at all - if anything, they're taking the formula from last year and turning the dial up on the difficulty. I very much look forward to seeing this show in motion now!

-Mike

• Like 1

Ok, just heard the show, and I have to say, I like it. A lot. I don't care for the opening voice overs, but the rest of the voice stuff fit in just fine. (And the tubas playing a reverse three note motif in ASZ was really neat; it turned it into kind of a warmer, friendlier piece). Overall, it was a lot brighter and less ....well...weird than I'd been led to believe on here. I don't think they're suddenly going Blue Devils on us at all - if anything, they're taking the formula from last year and turning the dial up on the difficulty. I very much look forward to seeing this show in motion now!

-Mike

Seems like you like the show a lot more than their new uniform, off of your review on the uniform thread. This is probably my initial dual impressions as well. I think this show has a better potential to score better with the judges however than with Crown's recent shows that got overall great receptions from audiences. But only time will tell, and gauging things now off of low quality audio, videos, pics can be fraught with unrepresentative depictions too, so we should probably keep this in mind as well.

Edited by BRASSO