Carolina Crown 2013

I just watched the FN Walnut show, and Crown's ending, last 30 seconds.

Has Crown staff lost their minds? Sacrificing 6 horn players with a minute to go in the show so they can play the final note on tympani? (3 front left, 3 front right on the sidelines.) I could understand if they pulled color guard, or even mallet players from the pit, but why horns?

Edit: They have 8 timp total, and 2 pit do come out to play that last note with about 20 seconds to go.

Why not use the guard? You would get the same "running away" effect with 6 less guard members.

Don't sweat it. An entire BOA band hid under a tarp for the last 1/4 of their show a few years ago and won. 6 horns is hardly a big deal to sacrifice.

• Like 1

I have a feeling this isn't the actual ending we will see by the end of this month. Could be wrong.. I like it. But I'm pretty sure they have a few more goodies up their sleeves.

• Like 4

I have a feeling this isn't the actual ending we will see by the end of this month. Could be wrong.. I like it. But I'm pretty sure they have a few more goodies up their sleeves.

kungfu22.jpg

In every loss there is gain. As in every gain there is loss. -Master Po

Don't sweat it. An entire BOA band hid under a tarp for the last 1/4 of their show a few years ago and won. 6 horns is hardly a big deal to sacrifice.

Haha. LD Bell! The show is beautiful, but where did the band go?

Has Crown staff lost their minds? Sacrificing 6 horn players with a minute to go in the show so they can play the final note on tympani? (3 front left, 3 front right on the sidelines.) I could understand if they pulled color guard, or even mallet players from the pit, but why horns?

Edit: They have 8 timp total, and 2 pit do come out to play that last note with about 20 seconds to go.

Here's a thought - can you tell a difference in volume with 6 horns missing? They're still pretty freaking loud, nothing makes the guard or pit inherently more dispensable than the hornline.

• Like 2

Those horn players aren't only playing timpani. After the really cool 3D rotating prism, the entire horn line (sans the six previously stated) does an interesting visual with their horns, and those now hornless MM are playing chimes creating a HUGE amount of metallic beauty! Since they are already pretty far off the 50 yard line, they continue to build upon the already enormous sound with antiphonal timpani.

While I witnessed it all three nights that weekend, it was better each and every time. It is and probably will be the most amazing thing heard coming from a football field this season.

• Like 1

Here's a thought - can you tell a difference in volume with 6 horns missing? They're still pretty freaking loud, nothing makes the guard or pit inherently more dispensable than the hornline.

TOTALLY agree.

When I watched them rehearse, I could tell 0 difference. The fact that it's the final push made it louder than the rest of the show in my opinion. I don't think it's a big deal. The sound waves of 9 Timpani (including the pit guy)makes your body shake. It's a great sacrifice in my opinion.

• Like 2

I'm just glad they figured out another way to use all those timpani again that they bought for last year. I'm okay if they get quite a few more years use out of them... Maybe strap 'em on next year..

tongue.gif

• Like 2