Carolina Crown 2013

And your not going to lose much volume losing six horns.. especially in a line that strong.

Phantom 08 during one of the killings you were missing a good chunk of the horns at an impact point, didn't really notice a volume difference there either.

And nowadays... you can just turn up the synth!

devil.gif

Everyone's comments about this show are so enticing; it's taking a good deal of willpower not to watch any of the videos! But I promised myself that I wouldn't watch any of this year's shows on video until I'd seen it live (if that were possible), so I must hold out until, gulp, Aug. 6 in Massillon.

• Like 1

Everyone's comments about this show are so enticing; it's taking a good deal of willpower not to watch any of the videos! But I promised myself that I wouldn't watch any of this year's shows on video until I'd seen it live (if that were possible), so I must hold out until, gulp, Aug. 6 in Massillon.

That will take an incredible amount of willpower. If you make it ... :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

And nowadays... you can just turn up the synth!

True... but Crown is one of the few corps that doesn't seem to be using synth to supplement the brass sound. At least not in a noticeable way. On most of the big hits, their synth players are not playing their instruments, so it's not just my ears lying.

• Like 4

True... but Crown is one of the few corps that doesn't seem to be using synth to supplement the brass sound. At least not in a noticeable way. On most of the big hits, their synth players are not playing their instruments, so it's not just my ears lying.

Yup!

I can testify to that. For The Common Good was my world class percussion debut—they made me play suspended cymbal in Fanfare! And before we (the synth players) got cymbals, I just stood at parade rest for the whole movement.

• Like 3

Crown sometimes has had their levels a little messed up... but the use of synth has been pretty respectable for the most part for me. There has never been anything where I was up in arms or just thought it sounded plane bad. Some tasteful features over the years, too, Nick. I appreciate that the Crown synth players aren't just sitting there playing potato notes and samples the entire show.

Here's a thought - can you tell a difference in volume with 6 horns missing?

Yes! tongue.gif

I still like the ending fine.

I'll also point out that the speaking parts look to be from horn players too. tongue.gif

This. Also, this is why I like watching corps warm-up in the lot, and why I'm so much more interested in lot videos than full show videos (at least on YouTube). No synth there. Just raw power.

• Like 1