Carolina Crown 2013

Then how can we come to the conclusion that the majority don't like it? When I go to shows and read some of the things said via social media, I can honestly say that it's more often than not, not a topic of conversation. Sure, shows like the Cadets' '06-'08 may be an exception, but for the most part the biggest issue raised with it is always here. Not saying that to be rude or insult anyone. That's just my observation.

Completely anecdotal and from the people I've brought to shows over the past bunch of years. One thing I've tried to do is bring new people to shows each year (Allentown since that's closest to me and late in the season). Maybe it's where I sit (usually the upper levels, so maybe that's more old timers paying more?), but usually when narration starts, there's the barely audible "sigh" or the slow head-shake-of-disapproval all around. Since the ride home is an hour, I'll ask the people I bring about things, and especially questions about things added more recently that I'm not a fan of (amplification, synths, narration) and see what they think, and so far nobody has liked narration (12 people so far over the past 6 years).

Of course the biggest issues is always here, think who frequents here. I mean we have people that analyze the financial statements of the corps, travel to see practices and probably go to more shows in a season than a lot of people will go to in a lifetime.. so the opinions are bound to me much more extreme than the general populace.

I'll admit it again - I hate narration. I hate it when my favorite corps does it, I hate it when I go to my newphews marching band competition and they do it. For me it just doesnt "fit" the activity, and probably never will. Of course that's my issue and unfortunately it does "ruin" some shows for me and I wish it didn't, but it does.

Edited by frachel
  • Like 5

The question is, do fans...and in particular Crown fans...criticize the corps for using synth, voice, and narration like they did Devils and Cadets (particularly Cadets in fact, as this Crown show is VERY Cadets-y) over the last few years, or does Crown get a free pass because they are Crown?

I suspect we may see a level of hypocrisy we haven't seen in the activity in years on display this summer.

I dunno. Already in this thread I am seeing, outside of Cream teamers, a spade being called a spade.

I guess it's now just become obvious what a corps has to program to win

• Like 4

I'm not a big fan of narration and BD are not my favorite corps but their use of narration made perfect sense in their Dada show

• Like 3

I'm not a big fan of narration and BD is not my favorite corps but their use of narration made perfect sense in their Dada show

• Like 2

What my "sadly" was referring to was in reference to the criticism directed at Cadets in 2007 - there was tons of it.

And someone not like liking something in Drum Corps and expressing their criticism of it is " sad" to you because..... ?

Cutting Edge?

Please.

Cutting edge seems to be drum corps speak for unpopular

are you going to fall into the 'you're too stupid to understand our art' trap next?

I saw that video, I have a pretty good idea where this show will land in my eyes but seeing as it was a bootleg – I'll wait to comment on specifics

And calling out the snare's players Mom – YOU NAMED NAMES, we don't do that in our family even if they have a misstep

No one was "called out" . I merely pointed out that the video in question was NOT an attempt to record the whole corps performance; it was a recording focused on an individual performer. ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that. BUT posters here who think they've "seen" the show based on a performer-centered video seem to be missing it's intent.

Cutting edge = pushing the envelope. Don't think Crown does that? That's fine. IMO they do. We'll agree to disagree.

• Like 1

Then how can we come to the conclusion that the majority don't like it?

The same way we come to the conclusion about what "Crown Fans" like.

Crown fans are just fine with synth, voice and narration :-)

I dunno. Already in this thread I am seeing, outside of Cream teamers, a spade being called a spade.

I guess it's now just become obvious what a corps has to program to win

Although none of us are in on the design discussions of CC, one might guess that the subject has come up in that room concerning what it is that BD is doing that is over "one point better" than CC in 2nd place years and three points in other recent years. I say it's uniqueness of design. I think the judges are just looking for a reason (particularly in those 2nd place years).... PR gave it to them in 08... CC has not....yet. Yeah, their percussion and guard are weaker most years than BD, but IMO those are only factors and incidental to the outcome. I have a feeling this is the year that CC embraces that uniqueness in design.

• Like 1

So yes, I guess it's a possibility that some of the higher-ups at Crown occasionally get on DCP. But IMO, I really don't think they (or really any corps for that matter) let what they read here influence how they build their shows.

Hah - yeah, I am pretty sure Crown does not have a high opinion of DCP.

Mike

• Like 2