Old School Drill

What are some qualities/characteristics that old drum corps drill had? Any specific drills would be fine too.

So far, I know:

-Drumline had much elevator drill on the 50.

-Long phrased drill, instead of the running around they do today.

-The "Z-Pull"

-27th Lancer's line rotation during "Dannyboy" :thumbup:/>/>/>

Guess it depends on how far back you want to define "old school" ... search on YouTube for the 1967 AL Nationals or the 1967 CYO Nationals and you'll find a comprehensive set of videos portraying what was done in the mid-60's ... you'll see the 60's version of modern-day corps like Boston, The Cadets (Garfield back then), Chicago Cavaliers, Hawthorne Cabs, CT Hurricanes and many, many more that no longer exist ...

I'll leave it to the drill guys to explain how drills morphed from "Marching & Manuvering" to "Marching Art" ... not sure when all the "speed" (BPM) came into play ...

Interesting topic ... hope some good history comes out of it ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

The Troopers' Sunburst is one of the all-time greatest drill moves in history. :worthy:

Late '70s BD's "Gates"

"The Rockford File" and other variations thereof.

SCV's "mime walk"

And there are others that I cannot think of right now.

Check out the you tube video of the Chicago Royalairs alumni corps from 2002 at finals in Madison. Probably one of the best "modern day" examples of ol' skool M&M out there!

What are some qualities/characteristics that old drum corps drill had? Any specific drills would be fine too.

So far, I know:

-Drumline had much elevator drill on the 50.

-Long phrased drill, instead of the running around they do today.

-The "Z-Pull"

-27th Lancer's line rotation during "Dannyboy" :thumbup:/>/>/>

Not calling you out or anything, just wondering what's your frame of reference, time wise? I know the technique has been with us for a while now, but is the z-pull really so passé as to refer to it in the same category as "elevator drill," or a basic company front rotation? To my mind it's a bit more contemporary than that.

Peace, holiday regards to all,

Fred O.

Guess it depends on how far back you want to define "old school" ... search on YouTube for the 1967 AL Nationals or the 1967 CYO Nationals and you'll find a comprehensive set of videos portraying what was done in the mid-60's ... you'll see the 60's version of modern-day corps like Boston, The Cadets (Garfield back then), Chicago Cavaliers, Hawthorne Cabs, CT Hurricanes and many, many more that no longer exist ...

I'll leave it to the drill guys to explain how drills morphed from "Marching & Manuvering" to "Marching Art" ... not sure when all the "speed" (BPM) came into play ...

Interesting topic ... hope some good history comes out of it ...

"OLde School Drill:"

Think of:

Starting Lines, "Starting Line Opening fanfare", Finish Lines, "Off the Line", "Color Presentation", "Production Numbers", "Concert Set" (Formation), "Exit Number" "Finish Line Signature", "High Mark Time"....

Think of:

Mickey Patrone (St Vincents Cadets), Clif Fisher (St Kevins Emerald Knights), Frank Kubinack (Blessed Sacrament), Jim Jones (Casper Troopers), Paul Palange (Boston Crusaders), Jim Costello (Garfield Csdets & Hawthorne Caballeros), Lenny Pikarski (Chicago Cavaliers), and so many many more from that "Olde School" era....

Elphaba

The time frame I'm thinking of is more around the 70's, I guess. But any other info is appreciated as well. :smile:/>/>

If you look at the start of the 70's and the end of the 70's you will drastically different types of visual designs.

Start of the 70's...start on the audience's left behind the goal line and exit to the right over the goal line...set piece drills...off the line, color pre, concert, exit, final fanfare after crossing the goal line...that kind of thing. Pretty symmetric once the corps got to mid-field. Drumline elevator drills up and down the 50. Color guards not doing much...flags pointing, rifles spinning and maybe some small tosses.

End of the 70's...corps start and end anywhere they like....that happened in bits and piece throughout the 70's. No set piece drill requirements. More asymmetric drill, though still far less than today. Guards doing a LOT of great body work, flag work and rifle work...far more than the early 70's. Drumlines doing more marching as party of the forms.

IMO the 70's visually was the decade with the most changes in the visual side of things.

• Like 1

There is some field drills shown after the parades.

Always liked that drill move Boston did in Hava ...