Dear George: Please stop.

Back on track ... Seriously? You're writing us to report your girlfriend's displeasure? You are her "spokesman" in this urgent matter? She couldn't communicate the crime so you must? We're to believe that you're some sort of objective observer to this felony infraction? You're doing your duty informing the drum corps audience of this malfeasance? Presumably your girlfriend is somehow muzzled (perhaps all this email has swamped her system), so without your vigilance and diligence this offense would have been perpetrated into perpetuity? Because none of us get these email? Or maybe you're hoping we'll realize our harmful complaisance and will rally with you to ...? To what? Complain on DCP? On behalf of others? Because we're not actually the ones offended?

Look, I'm sorry if I sound PO-ed. But the truth is I am put off by second-hand belly-aching like this. What's the point? What's the purpose?

While I cannot speak for the OP (or GF) - as someone who shares their primary sentiment, "the point" may merely be to inform us that such frequent solicitations might squeeze more donations from some people, but less donations from others who are alienated by the approach.

As numerous others have pointed out, no one forces us to read anything we don't want to read.

That is true. Applies to this thread as well.

I don't know if you or your girlfriend have given anything to the Cadets or any corps. I'd suggest that if all of us gave more, more in proportion to the benefit we take, there would be less need for more emails of the sort we're discussing.

But there would not be less emails.

This has been the solicitation style of the Cadets since the mid-1980s. Back then, we received paper mail begging for donations, insisting that the reigning champion would fold if we did not all send checks immediately. Seeing that the corps is still around, I would surmise that this approach works on some people. However, seeing that the Cadets are not the richest corps in the activity, and that no one else takes solicitation to the extremes that they have over the past 30 years, I would also surmise that the approach does not work for everyone.

• Like 2

Sort of ironic that this thread and the thread about Glassmen going inactive because they don't have enough money are sitting one on top of the other right now.

Edited by mobrien

I have a bottle of glass cleaner that claims to be streak free. SOOOOOOOO Not the case! Even with Brawny who we all know make the best paper towels on this planet or any other, TONS of streaks!

But my first thought wasnt to go and post a few volumes on DCP about it. lol!

The issue you have is technically related to drum corps, but not really a "Drum corps problem".

Dont get me wrong. I get it. Its annoying. I am a band director and we dont compete in any of the YEA related programs anymore. We havent for 4 years. It took 3 years to stop getting the emails. Last year, we did one YEA indoor percussion show as a favor to a friend and now its all started again. I have asked nicely to be removed from the email lists, but so many different people in that place send emails that its nearly impossible. It is annoying.

BUT-

This also shows how much we lack patience in the world today. How long does it take to delete an unwanted email?

Thats why I have an email I use for stuff I dont want in my personal email inbox. My store coupons etc.

At the end of the day it takes 2 clicks to delete an email. I just did it on two emails and its literally not 2 full seconds.

Relax, kick back, and enjoy the good parts of life

While I cannot speak for the OP (or GF) - as someone who shares their primary sentiment, "the point" may merely be to inform us that such frequent solicitations might squeeze more donations from some people, but less donations from others who are alienated by the approach.

That is true. Applies to this thread as well.

But there would not be less emails.

This has been the solicitation style of the Cadets since the mid-1980s. Back then, we received paper mail begging for donations, insisting that the reigning champion would fold if we did not all send checks immediately. Seeing that the corps is still around, I would surmise that this approach works on some people. However, seeing that the Cadets are not the richest corps in the activity, and that no one else takes solicitation to the extremes that they have over the past 30 years, I would also surmise that the approach does not work for everyone.

Again to make the connection that e-mail volume is related to how rich a corps is stupid... You cant surmise anything.

Edited by charlie1223

If you are annoyed by emails there is something wrong with you. The vast amount of controls and folders that you have to organize your inbox leaves you with no excuses to feeling "offended" because a non-profit sends more emails than you would like (and ofcourse the lovely unsubscribe button). The information in email is even available for free on their website which you can go to at your leisure! Stop having your life revolve around your inbox. Get yourself organized and start caring about things that actually matter like the fact that a DCI corps went under because there literally wasn't enough money and here you are threatening to not donate to a corps because of email volume... Corps shouldn't have to feel like they are walking on egg shells to ask for donations. To complain about something like this just shows a certain level of incompetence to control your own life and your feelings and your asking someone else to do it for you. JMO

Edited by charlie1223

Again to make the connection that e-mail volume is related to how rich a corps is stupid... You cant surmise anything.

While we can't make assumptions based on the number of solicits the corps sends, we do know how well off the corps is. Awesomely, the numbers have been put out on this forum for us. Thanks garfield!

Again, I'm not stating the cadets are relying on, or even benefiting from the emails, but it's a fact that they aren't the richest corps in the activity.

While we can't make assumptions based on the number of solicits the corps sends, we do know how well off the corps is. Awesomely, the numbers have been put out on this forum for us. Thanks garfield!

Again, I'm not stating the cadets are relying on, or even benefiting from the emails, but it's a fact that they aren't the richest corps in the activity.

... Okay... Usually people don't state random facts without implying a connection to the subject. I guess your the outlier. I mean Cadets haven't exactly won the most championships either am I right?!

Edited by charlie1223

... Okay... Usually people don't state random facts without implying a connection to the subject. I guess your the outlier. I mean Cadets haven't exactly won the most championships am I right?!

The amusing thing -- well one of the amusing things -- about this thread is that the OP hasn't really participated at all.

Perhaps...

iexpectyoutodiemrbond.jpg

it's time for this thread to die ph34r.gif

The amusing thing -- well one of the amusing things -- about this thread is that the OP hasn't really participated at all.

Perhaps...

iexpectyoutodiemrbond.jpg

it's time for this thread to die ph34r.gif

I say keep it alive. The amount of butthurt generated by the OP is hysterical. Good job!

Anyways, in fundraising sometimes necessary to take the blitzkrieg approach. But doing it 365 days a year is counterproductive. That's not an opinion, it's a fact.

• Like 1