Dear George: Please stop.

I get lots of pleas for contributions to the various organizations to which I belong. None of them expect (or even hope) that I'll send a donation for every time they ask. They hope by reminding me that they appreciate my gifts, if and when they occur. It's the same reason why you don't see commercials on television just once. (Ridley Scott's Apple 1984 Super Bowl commercial notwithstanding.)

Glossing over e-mail solicitations still takes up less time than sitting through a television commercial for something I don't want.

• Like 2

I get lots of pleas for contributions to the various organizations to which I belong. None of them expect (or even hope) that I'll send a donation for every time they ask. They hope by reminding me that they appreciate my gifts, if and when they occur. It's the same reason why you don't see commercials on television just once. (Ridley Scott's Apple 1984 Super Bowl commercial notwithstanding.)

Glossing over e-mail solicitations still takes up less time than sitting through a television commercial for something I don't want.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

No. 1 - Unsubscribe yada yada yada ...

Second - Fails to comprehend yada yada yada ...

C. - Selfish complaint yada yada yada ...

Most of all: Seriously? yada yada yada ...

Before I get started I have to point out the obvious: You live in Chicago, which is within easy striking range of numerous live drum corps shows. In fact, Chicago is just three hours from quarters/semis/finals in Indy, yet you "introduced" your girlfriend to the activity in the movies? Why didn't you just pop popcorn in the microwave and show her a DVD? Could have saved the drive to the theater. No offense.

Back on track ... Seriously? You're writing us to report your girlfriend's displeasure? You are her "spokesman" in this urgent matter? She couldn't communicate the crime so you must? We're to believe that you're some sort of objective observer to this felony infraction? You're doing your duty informing the drum corps audience of this malfeasance? Presumably your girlfriend is somehow muzzled (perhaps all this email has swamped her system), so without your vigilance and diligence this offense would have been perpetrated into perpetuity? Because none of us get these email? Or maybe you're hoping we'll realize our harmful complaisance and will rally with you to ...? To what? Complain on DCP? On behalf of others? Because we're not actually the ones offended?

Look, I'm sorry if I sound PO-ed. But the truth is I am put off by second-hand belly-aching like this. What's the point? What's the purpose? As numerous others have pointed out, no one forces us to read anything we don't want to read. As others have pointed out, Cadets give a lot more than average, and so they ask more than average. Is that really as out of balance as your derivative complaint makes it seem?

I don't know if you or your girlfriend have given anything to the Cadets or any corps. I'd suggest that if all of us gave more, more in proportion to the benefit we take, there would be less need for more emails of the sort we're discussing.

HH

Are YOU serious? The guy posted a drum corps topic on a drum corps discussion page.

More importantly, do you really think there would be less need to ask for money if people gave more money? I submit that if any of the G7 corps received double the amount of donations they were hoping for, they would only redouble their requests for money.

• Like 2

We did that.

He wrote back and asked for money.

well he's persistant

Sounds to me like the point of the post has been missed. He's not complaining about the request for donation. But every day would be a bit excessive. A weekly update with an update on the week and a link to donate, that sound a bit better to me.

Yeah, I agree. I mean I get YEA emails, and I guess I've just become immune to the amount of requests for donations. I will say you have to give props for persistence, even if it makes PBS pledges drives look subdued.

Still that's nothing compared to the amount of YEA related chatter/emails/facebook posts/messages etc during the Chase run. By day 3 Iwas ready to see if I could change my votes.

Are YOU serious? The guy posted a drum corps topic on a drum corps discussion page.

Yeah? He posted what he says his girlfriend says, which I say is sort of (actually very) silly. If the OP has a point of view, he's free to offer it. So too is his girlfriend. Reporting the alleged complaints of others at second hand seems pretty silly to me.

More importantly, do you really think there would be less need to ask for money if people gave more money? I submit that if any of the G7 corps received double the amount of donations they were hoping for, they would only redouble their requests for money.

What do I think? I think I don't subscribe to your cynical view of drum corps. I think I disagree with Ms. Girlfriend that there are too many appeals. I think I derive so much pleasure from drum corps that I feel guilty sometimes that I can't do more in return. I think I'm grateful to the Cadets for giving me so much media to appreciate year-round. And no, I don't think the G7 or any corps ask for money just to ask.

What do I think? I think it's a challenge often to reconcile how so many drum corps fans can be so negative. Here's an activity that's so much about selflessness and yet so many fans are so selfish. Drum corps is so much about working so hard for narrow increments of progress and yet so many fans are focused only on the widest screens of their own expectations. They want the drum corps in August, not June. They want emails that bring pleasure, not obligations.

I think too many drum corps fans aren't fair to drum corps. I think that cyncism is far more ruinous to drum corps than any decision any director has taken, worse than any email any has ever sent. That's what I think.

HH (got that off his chest!)

• Like 3

I couldn't believe it, someone gave you a big, red minus -1 on your post, Boo! ph34r.gif

Not to worry Buddy, I got your back. I gave you a green +1, thus restoring your reputation back to zero. thumbup.gif

I'm sure you'd do the same for me.

+++

Edit: Someone gave me a red -1!

That was friggin' hilarious! I spewed my Pepsi all over my monitor! So whoever you are that did that to me, I've only got one thing to say to you; YOU OWE ME A NEW MONITOR!

Seriously, I'm still laughing! doh.gif

+++

OK, back to watching some more Les Mis clips. I'n going with my wife to watch the movie tomorrow or Wed. I already watched Cadets '89 on the FN. This clip is from the 25th Anniversary special, with subtitles. I hope Vanguard brings home this simple ending theme which involves the meaning of life. "to love another person is to see the face of God." Good stuff.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 3

I couldn't believe it, someone gave you a big, red minus -1 on your post, Boo! ph34r.gif

Not to worry Buddy, I got your back. I gave you a green +1, thus restoring your reputation back to zero. thumbup.gif

I'm sure you'd do the same for me.

+++

Edit: Someone gave me a red -1!

Thank you. I did the same in kind. My reputation generally is about zero, anyhow. We are part of a passionate activity.

• Like 1

This guy and his words of wisdom :thumbup:

• Like 1