Dear George: Please stop.

Someone should start a contest:

Everytime George sends you an email, send a copy of it with $5 to your favorite corps.

Final tally DCI week. Winner gets to hand George all the copies and say THANKS !!!

• Like 5

If you look at the 990s thread, about page 15, it says YEA contributions have steadily decreased since 2009.

So maybe that is why the emails are being sent, or have the emails caused folks to be less likely to contribute?

Or not.

Some combination of the above is correct methinks.

If you look at the 990s thread, about page 15, it says YEA contributions have steadily decreased since 2009.

So maybe that is why the emails are being sent, or have the emails caused folks to be less likely to contribute?

Or not.

Far be it from me to stop anyone from throwing cold water on Hop, but this is from post #156 of the 990 thread:

The trend in Contributions from 2008 was:

2008: $689,993

2009: $537,756 (minus $152,237)

2010: $358,570 (minus $179,186)

2011: $661,607 (plus $303,037)

When I subtract the Chase $225,000 from the total, 2011 Contributions, net of Chase, were $436,607. That would be a $78,037 increase from 2010 by itself. It's reasonable to think that the Chase money is represented in the 2011 bump.

When we look at fundraising expenses in the next series of posts we may see an increase in fundraising costs associated with both the organic increase in contributions as well as the Chase grant.

OP: Hilarious.

Some of the replies: obtuse, and missing the point at best.

Irony is dead.

• Like 1

Unsubscribe from email.

Subscribe on Facebook.

at least until Chase time. then unscubscribe

Or not.

That is rediculous! Are you even looking at the big picture?? Blaming e-mails for lack a decrease in revenue... Total farce.

.......What do I think? I think I don't subscribe to your cynical view of drum corps. I think I disagree with Ms. Girlfriend that there are too many appeals. I think I derive so much pleasure from drum corps that I feel guilty sometimes that I can't do more in return. I think I'm grateful to the Cadets for giving me so much media to appreciate year-round. And no, I don't think the G7 or any corps ask for money just to ask.

What do I think? I think it's a challenge often to reconcile how so many drum corps fans can be so negative. Here's an activity that's so much about selflessness and yet so many fans are so selfish. Drum corps is so much about working so hard for narrow increments of progress and yet so many fans are focused only on the widest screens of their own expectations. They want the drum corps in August, not June. They want emails that bring pleasure, not obligations.

I think too many drum corps fans aren't fair to drum corps. I think that cyncism is far more ruinous to drum corps than any decision any director has taken, worse than any email any has ever sent. That's what I think.

HH (got that off his chest!)

I don't have cynical view of drum corps. I also don't think any drum corps ask for money just to ask for money. I never said those things, but that may be your perception of me, and that is fine. I will admit that the G7 thing from a few seasons ago left me sick to my stomach, and my opinion of the organizations that were part of it changed significantly the day sunlight exposed the plan to the public.

I do have to say that an almost daily appeal for money is way to often. If Ms. Girlfriend got that many appeals, she has a right to complain and her friend has a right to share the complaint. Heck, if you ask them to stop and they send you ONE MORE appeal, you have the right to complain. Also, anyone has the right to complain about drum corps on a drum corps site. If the complaint has no legs it will die a quick death. If there is some merit to a post, discussion will follow.

I will say this, I do not take the same negative view of drum corps fans as you do. I think the ones that complain and wine without giving anything back are the small minority of fans.

I don't have cynical view of drum corps. I also don't think any drum corps ask for money just to ask for money. I never said those things, but that may be your perception of me, and that is fine. I will admit that the G7 thing from a few seasons ago left me sick to my stomach, and my opinion of the organizations that were part of it changed significantly the day sunlight exposed the plan to the public.

I do have to say that an almost daily appeal for money is way to often. If Ms. Girlfriend got that many appeals, she has a right to complain and her friend has a right to share the complaint. Heck, if you ask them to stop and they send you ONE MORE appeal, you have the right to complain. Also, anyone has the right to complain about drum corps on a drum corps site. If the complaint has no legs it will die a quick death. If there is some merit to a post, discussion will follow.

I will say this, I do not take the same negative view of drum corps fans as you do. I think the ones that complain and wine without giving anything back are the small minority of fans.

First thought is how many appeals for $$$$ is counter productive? I know how much I want to send to the places I donate to and how I spread it during the year. To get pounded again and again after I send would make me rethink if another group could use the money instead.

Second thought is if I wasn't donating to a group that send a lot of requests it might be a dumb idea to start donating. Would probably get even more requests for money.

Third thought is at what point does lack of respect come into play...

And it's not even a Michigan area code (inside sick telemarketing joke).....

Edit: Mebbe just me as already had a bad experience donating to another corps (dues donatations). Corps website stated that "we will acknowledge the donation" which sounded to me like the corps would send an email or something along those lines. After the second donation and no response I emailed the corps asking if they received the donations. Explained I was concerned someone kited the checks along the way. Response was that the marcher I donated to should have sent the acknowledgement and shame on him that he didn't (that's the "we" in "We will"?). Included in the response was the members personal email which I never asked for and never would. Emailed the member saying if he is getting any flack I disagree and then deleted the email address. Work with security and handing out personal email addies upset me more than the finger pointing toward the member. Last time I ever considered donating to this group even to help the members as there are other corps. Also never got a god idea why this corps wants dues donations to go to the corps instead of directly to the members but I digress.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Someone should start a contest:

Everytime George sends you an email, send a copy of it with $5 to your favorite corps.

Final tally DCI week. Winner gets to hand George all the copies and say THANKS !!!

I'm not sure I want to fork out $1825 this year

( do the math)

:tongue:/>