Dear George: Please stop.

If you are annoyed by emails there is something wrong with you.

Why? Because there cannot possibly be anything wrong with the sender?

I find that remark insulting and insensitive. You know, there is something wrong with some of us. There are people trying to use computers and email and lead productive lives despite coping with disabilities. (And for every such challenged person, there are 100 able people whose computers or email providers are somewhat "disabled", lol.) I am in no position to say what should be trivial vs. annoying for each and every recipient of all this email. Are you?

The vast amount of controls and folders that you have to organize your inbox leaves you with no excuses to feeling "offended" because a non-profit sends more emails than you would like

Who cares about folders? You still have to sift through a greater quantity of email, and you still have many more instances of "new message" in your inbox, which after a click and a wait, turns out to be another solicitation instead of the message you are waiting for.

(and ofcourse the lovely unsubscribe button).

I have lost count of how many unsubscribe buttons I have clicked. I am fairly certain, though, that the majority of them have had no effect on stemming the tide of unsolicited/unwanted mass emailing. Previous posts indicate that there is no successful easy button to unsubscribe from Cadets and/or YEA emails (I would not know personally, as I do not wish to unsubscribe from Cadets/YEA mailings).

Constant contact works for some people and not for others. Why even argue that?

• Like 1

Simply "unsubscribe". Simple.

With so much other trash email I receive, getting something from a drum corps doesn't bother me in the least. I understand why it's so important to support this treasured activity. If the corps don't reach out to people who have interest in the drum corps, music education, youth activity . . . then who?

We have the choice to give or not give. I'm not offened by someone because they ask.

• Like 1

Why? Because there cannot possibly be anything wrong with the sender?

I find that remark insulting and insensitive. You know, there is something wrong with some of us. There are people trying to use computers and email and lead productive lives despite coping with disabilities. (And for every such challenged person, there are 100 able people whose computers or email providers are somewhat "disabled", lol.) I am in no position to say what should be trivial vs. annoying for each and every recipient of all this email. Are you?

Who cares about folders? You still have to sift through a greater quantity of email, and you still have many more instances of "new message" in your inbox, which after a click and a wait, turns out to be another solicitation instead of the message you are waiting for.

I have lost count of how many unsubscribe buttons I have clicked. I am fairly certain, though, that the majority of them have had no effect on stemming the tide of unsolicited/unwanted mass emailing. Previous posts indicate that there is no successful easy button to unsubscribe from Cadets and/or YEA emails (I would not know personally, as I do not wish to unsubscribe from Cadets/YEA mailings).

Constant contact works for some people and not for others. Why even argue that?

What the heck are you even arguing? Disabled people using e-mail??? What does that have to do with anything!?!? People "waiting" for messages from yea that *gasp* turn into a surprise solicitation that gosh darnit just ruins their day!?!?! I literally have no idea where your argument connects to mine... Anyway.....

The OP and his girlfriend take the emails too personally. They are literally sent to thousands of people and they treat it as a personal letter from George forcing them to give money... Or else. So yes the problem is more so that the OP can't control his emotions about email than YEA sending too many e-mails. I get the same e-mails nbd it takes me all of .005 seconds to delete things I'm not interested in and I have the level head to not make a big stink about something as inconsequential as an e-mail (even though I guess I am) lol.

Give this post a NEGATIVE if you agree!!

Edited by charlie1223

What the heck are you even arguing? Disabled people using e-mail??? What does that have to do with anything!?!? People "waiting" for messages from yea that *gasp* turn into a surprise solicitation that gosh darnit just ruins their day!?!?! Anyway.....

The OP and his girlfriend take the emails too personally. They are literally sent to thousands of people and they treat it as a personal letter from George forcing them to give money... Or else. So yes the problem is more so that the OP can't control his emotions about email than YEA sending too many e-mails. I get the same e-mails nbd it takes me all of .005 seconds to delete things I'm not interested in and I have the level head to not make a big stink about something as inconsequential as an e-mail (even though I guess I am) lol.

ok, here's another way to look at it, though it may not apply in this case.

Some people use email for life and work. getting constant emails begging for money can just be annoying. Now personally, I'd either unsubscribe, as I did from all YEA related groups on Facebook after their ###### near borderline harrassment with the Chase stuff, or even email the source directly in a way, that's, well, blunt. I mean it's not like they cloaked begging for cash and tying it in to Hurricane Sandy stuff

• Like 2

ok, here's another way to look at it, though it may not apply in this case.

Some people use email for life and work. getting constant emails begging for money can just be annoying. Now personally, I'd either unsubscribe, as I did from all YEA related groups on Facebook after their ###### near borderline harrassment with the Chase stuff, or even email the source directly in a way, that's, well, blunt. I mean it's not like they cloaked begging for cash and tying it in to Hurricane Sandy stuff

Exactly... where do we disagree??? Still think OP's attitude is completely illogical.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Some of you are acting like the OP accused YEA of murdering puppies. It's both funny and a little sad. Calm down. Unclench your fists, wipe the spittle off your monitor, and disconnect your internet for a few hours. Realize that the OP is a half-serious wind-up gently poking fun at what is, frankly, a completely inept fundraising gimmick and not a vicious, slanderous assault on a helpless drum corps.

Edited by Rifuarian

Simple... unsubscribe after sending an email saying why.... and include in the email how much you gave in the past and that amount will be $0 because <insert reason why>

PS - Anyone know where constant fund raising requests actually worked?

What the heck are you even arguing? Disabled people using e-mail??? What does that have to do with anything!?!? People "waiting" for messages from yea that *gasp* turn into a surprise solicitation that gosh darnit just ruins their day!?!?! I literally have no idea where your argument connects to mine... Anyway.....

For some people, it is more than .005 seconds due to a variety of reasons (slow computer, slow internet, slow mobile app, slow loading email interface, elderly/disabled users, etc.). If you cannot grasp that concept, I cannot help you.

For some people, it is more than .005 seconds due to a variety of reasons (slow computer, slow internet, slow mobile app, slow loading email interface, elderly/disabled users, etc.). If you cannot grasp that concept, I cannot help you.

Which reminds me.... do the "constant" emails only discuss needing money or is there other information being brought out. IOW - would a 'delete without reading' get rid of information that someone might want to read?

And agree on the disabled users.... point/click can be a real PITA depending on what it being done and the "alternate method"......

And would the feelings expressed in this thread be different if it wasn't "you know who"....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Which reminds me.... do the "constant" emails only discuss needing money or is there other information being brought out. IOW - would a 'delete without reading' get rid of information that someone might want to read?...

This is a key point lost in the over-simplified rationalizations here. Cadets provide us with all sorts of wonderful content all year long. Text, audio or video, email and webinar, website and social media, they keep us apprised of what's happening, what they're thinking, what's changing - a full spectrum of information about a drum corps in formation, at camp and on the road. Email is the conduit to this wealth. Among and in addition to these are appeals for money.

Our beleaugered girlfriend heroine is annoyed by ads from Taco Bell and Target so maybe we can appreciate that she's consistent. And if we're being consistent, let us not forget that the annoyance that is TV commercials or Internet pop-ups are the commercial reality of business, which has in common with Cadets a commercial imperative. It costs money to move the Cadets down the road. And it costs money to provide us with all that wonderful content Cadets produce. Target shoppers and Taco Bell diners aren't paying the Cadets bill. So we have to. Which is why they ask - and ask. Because we have to be reminded that we have to support it. Because there really is no alternative.

HH