Dear George: Please stop.

This is a key point lost in the over-simplified rationalizations here. Cadets provide us with all sorts of wonderful content all year long. Text, audio or video, email and webinar, website and social media, they keep us apprised of what's happening, what they're thinking, what's changing - a full spectrum of information about a drum corps in formation, at camp and on the road. Email is the conduit to this wealth. Among and in addition to these are appeals for money.

HH

Which doesn't answer my question..... Do the "constant" emails only have request for funds or is there other information included. Is there a way to tell by the email title that this is just a funds request? If they only have $$$$ requests then they can be safely deleted without the risk of losing something you'd want to read. If other info is included then every email would have to be checked for the non-$$$ requests.

And if other info is included how often do non-$$$ requests show up? For example do you have to plow thru all your emails to find the xx% that are other info?

And how often do Cadets supporters need to be reminded to support the corps? If truely daily that's treating the supporters with less respect than I'd like. "Better tell again to send $$$, they might have forgetten in the last 24 hours".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Sorry. It's a mix. Most of the email is about the corps and what's going on. Most appeals for funds are just appeals for funds. Some emails are a mix. As one who gets them all, I can say it's quite easy to read what I want to read and ignore what I'd rather ignore.

HH

Sorry. It's a mix. Most of the email is about the corps and what's going on. Most appeals for funds are just appeals for funds. Some emails are a mix. As one who gets them all, I can say it's quite easy to read what I want to read and ignore what I'd rather ignore.

HH

OK thanks, just trying to get a better handle on what is going on. Only "contact" I had with GHs style was him talking about the corps over the PA system at an exhibition. He went on so long people around us were muttering "George we came to hear the corps, not you." Think he forgot it wasn't a YEA event and got carried away. :doh:

Some of you are acting like the OP accused YEA of murdering puppies. It's both funny and a little sad. Calm down. Unclench your fists, wipe the spittle off your monitor, and disconnect your internet for a few hours. Realize that the OP is a half-serious wind-up gently poking fun at what is, frankly, a completely inept fundraising gimmick and not a vicious, slanderous assault on a helpless drum corps.

The OP is not murdering puppies. I'll even agree that the emails are annoying. But there are simple, common sense ways to solve the problem on your own. Putting it up on DCP to whine about is not one of those ways.

Doing so comes across as petty (as though one's looking for a bone to pick), IMO.

• Like 1

Exactly... where do we disagree??? Still think OP's attitude is completely illogical.

we disagree in that yes, it can be too much for some people. And honestly, there are groups ( not just drum corps) that beg so much, it turns people off.

• Like 2

But there are simple, common sense ways to solve the problem on your own. Putting it up on DCP to whine about is not one of those ways.

Funny, that's what I thought DCP was for. :tongue:/>

Seriously, I wasn't looking for a solution to what I jocularly referred to earlier as The Greatest Drum Corps Crisis Of Our Time; I was just looking to blow off some steam on what I assumed was a forum dedicated to blowing off steam (in addition to cheering on, of course) about our beloved activity.

I did address it to George, by the way, who I might also mention must have read this thread because we've gotten a grand total of 2 emails in the last week, so something went right.

Edited by HollywoodNeoCon

Funny, that's what I thought DCP was for. :tongue:/>/>

Seriously, I wasn't looking for a solution to what I jocularly referred to earlier as The Greatest Drum Corps Crisis Of Our Time; I was just looking to blow off some steam on what I assumed was a forum dedicated to blowing off steam (in addition to cheering on, of course) about our beloved activity.

I did address it to George, by the way, who I might also mention must have read this thread because we've gotten a grand total of 2 emails in the last week, so something went right.

FWIW, while I don't necessarily agree with your disdain for Cadets' fundraising tactics (though I too am on their mailing list and get a TON of stuff from them), I think we're all in agreement with you here:

DCP is indeed a place for whining about ALL things drum corps :tongue:

Lets not forget on top of the DCI Corps and the marching band circuit that it funds, he also has his DCA All-Age corps that caps out at about 24 to fund as well now.

He is a "Hot or Cold" polarizing figure. People either love or hate (maybe too strong a word, but...) him. There are very few, if any, in this activity that are luke warm about George.

Regardless of which side you are on, you have to admire his love for his group, and dedication to the activity.