Trombones

Hi I’m from the future

:looks at the date of the original conversation:

:realizes 2014 trombones were legal:

:giggles:

• Haha 1

While I was not a “if we allow trombones, woodwinds won’t be far behind” person, I did not want to see trombones in drum corps. It was more for visual reasons than anything else. Though I’m still not crazy about trombones or concert French horns in drum corps, I haven’t given them much thought after I got used to seeing them and will admit some of the musicianship with both instruments has been amazing and with the trombones there has been some clever visual things. I also recall two corps voted against changing the rules and I believe three others who voted in favor but claimed they’d never use them, not unlike the Key of G to B-flat change. Now I think everyone uses them, probably thinking “If you can’t beat them, join them.”

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tim K said:

While I was not a “if we allow trombones, woodwinds won’t be far behind” person, I did not want to see trombones in drum corps. It was more for visual reasons than anything else. Though I’m still not crazy about trombones or concert French horns in drum corps, I haven’t given them much thought after I got used to seeing them and will admit some of the musicianship with both instruments has been amazing and with the trombones there has been some clever visual things. I also recall two corps voted against changing the rules and I believe three others who voted in favor but claimed they’d never use them, not unlike the Key of G to B-flat change. Now I think everyone uses them, probably thinking “If you can’t beat them, join them.”

I’m good with both if they’re used well and it’s musically appropriate.  I really didn’t care for the sousaphones.  If I never see another one in drum corps, that’s fine with me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m good with both if they’re used well and it’s musically appropriate.  I really didn’t care for the sousaphones.  If I never see another one in drum corps, that’s fine with me.  

I disagree with this with the exception of world class. Especially in soundsport( I know not technically DCI) and as well as DCA(DCI all age). I'm not sure about open class but honestly it would not even bother me there.

However, you have to do what you have to do to survive(perform). So, if sousas are what gets them on the field, then so be it. 

I would love to see more concert euphoniums. 

49 minutes ago, Jimmyjames said:

I disagree with this with the exception of world class. Especially in soundsport( I know not technically DCI) and as well as DCA(DCI all age). I'm not sure about open class but honestly it would not even bother me there.

However, you have to do what you have to do to survive(perform). So, if sousas are what gets them on the field, then so be it. 

I would love to see more concert euphoniums. 

My favorite B1G marching  bands have sousaphones and I’m fine with that. I wasn’t suggesting having them banned from the planet.  I’m not a fan of drum corps using them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

My favorite B1G marching  bands have sousaphones and I’m fine with that. I wasn’t suggesting having them banned from the planet.  I’m not a fan of drum corps using them. 

It would be pretty funny watching a group of sousas scream into their instrument during the closer

• Haha 1

Trombones are ok, though I am waiting for arrangers to wean themselves away from that one cliched sectional portamento effect that seems like the equivalent of a "required figure" in Olympic skating.

The horn really is capable of some other cool sounds.

The other ho-hum for me comes when tuba sections play a (usually) sloppy jumble of upper and mid-register rhythms, followed, inexorably, by a flaccid pedal tone.

Time to call in the Anti-Derivative Squad, I think

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3