DCI DVD sales survey

Booming synthesizers and narrations have soured my desire to buy the newer DCI DVDs. I substitute by watching brass-only warmups or practices on youtube.

--SiletzSpey

You have given me an idea - in this day of digital soundtracks, ability of designer or judge voice-over, and the like, is it possible to include on the 'disks' a version with only the brass & percussion that one could listen to if they desired? I know it is not how the show designers envisioned their product, but the customer is always right, and if including the option to turn off the electronics (or keep them on if you wish) could sell more 'disks' (be they blue, blu, pink, compact, or whatever), then maybe it is a good idea. I have no idea how hard this would be from a technical point-of-view, if it costs way too much to do, then not a good idea.

Ultimately the number of 'disks' sold with this feature would have to outsell the disks without it by a margine that covers the cost and brings additional profit to DCI.

It tells me that DCI wants to find out why DVD sales ( as opposed to blu ray disc sales perhaps ? ) were not as strong in 2012 as they were in 2011 ( if it fact what you are saying here is accurate regarding DVD's sales year over end ).

What does it " say " to you when they ask you this question ?

Perhaps it is because those that used to buy the DVD's have switched to Bluray. I know in the film industry(for which I work in) that is happening big time.

You have given me an idea - in this day of digital soundtracks, ability of designer or judge voice-over, and the like, is it possible to include on the 'disks' a version with only the brass & percussion that one could listen to if they desired?

On the Bluray format, yes you can. It can be authored that way, but it makes it more complex to do.

If we're posting wishlists for the (soon-to-be-defunct) DVD/Blu-ray products, I would like to vote for a "play in reverse placement order" option. I never ever want to start with corps #1 and proceed down the placements. I want to go bottom up, dang it. And so I end up having to micromanage the thing.

• Like 2

Mine indicated that I did not purchase a DVD in 2012 when in fact I did ... and there was no choice to inform them of their error, so I just trashed the whole survey.

My experience was the same was yours, except I got Bluray discs both years. At the end there was a simple "make a comment box" and I told them of the error.

+++

I, too, got the survey and was impressed with the attempt, though not with the data analysis leading to the survey, as I bought both the 2011 and 2012 Blu-rays, nor with the questions themselves, as they were very unclear, IMO.(Skyhopper)

Agree, Mr. Skyhopper. I appreciate the chance to give feedback, but some questions were confusing in the way they were worded.

+++

FWIW, I though Mr. Boo's common sense observations (further upstream) were also well stated.

I got the survey and bought Blu-rays both last year and this year. Their records don't seem to be entirely accurate.

actucker, you are correct. After 12 years attending the Indy 500 with the same seats, I decided not to renew. I got the same kind of inquiry from IMS. My reasoning is simple. It's the economy. I realize many of you live in other regions of the country, so I can only offer the perspective of an eastern Pennsylvanian, but, it's time to prioritize spending. Signs of inflation are rampant here. Just about every bill I pay monthly has increased 8-10%. Increases in food prices are off the chart, etc. It's not so much if I can still afford the usual items, I most definitely can. It's a matter of what makes most economic sense in effort to maintain current abilities, despite the national economy.

The way I typically did the race, I'd spend $2000 over 4 days. Granted, those are an enjoyable 4 days, but what makes more sense? Four days of bliss, or payment for 365 days of the following . . . local newspaper, cell phone, ESPN Gameplan, vehicle registrations, DirecTV upgrades, etc?

I believe this is a challenge both DCI and DCA will face again through the coming year. I am a firm believer BOTH organizations need to squeeze as much income from pay-per-view as possible right now. There are many interested fans out here, but I'm afraid many will begin to cut back spending on usual pleasures. I will not be surprised if purchases of DVDs, and such, decline for now.

That's exactly what I've been seeing. As of recently, I tried to start my drum corps venture back up again and tried to go out of town to see the finals and also tried to back-track and buy DVDs from past shows, but this year, I didn't go to see finals nor buy any drum corps DVDs partly because of the need to save and spend on other things.

I'd like to add: The other reason I think some people haven't bought DVDs this year is because of youtube. Heck, instead of buying a DVD, there are people who go to the yards (or lots) in which the corps are practicing, make a video of it, and post everything on youtube and sometimes there are clips that contains the full shows. So thus, I blame that too. This digital age is going to cut into a lot of former business practices that we're used to seeing.

Edited by En929

Slightly off topic, but I have a hard time buying the recordings cause I'm not at all a fan of the audio. I'm always disappointed when I watch/listen to recent DVDs.

I think the only feasible way to do this technologically would be for corps to audio record just the brass playing through the show, and just the percussion playing, and then authoring that audio as alternate tracks for the blu-rays.

I think that in this day-and-age, if DCI wants to sell more DVD's/Blu-rays instead of losing customers to Fan Network or other streaming options of drum corps, they really need to give us an incentive. For example, when DCI released DVD's with designer commentary and/or judge tapes. Or if they did didn't "cams" as option (percussion cam, brass, guard, high etc). That's something you can't get anywhere else. I would be much more inclined to spring for the blu-rays annually if they had added stuff like that: stuff that is rare on youtube, or not on FN.

Mine indicated that I did not purchase a DVD in 2012 when in fact I did ... and there was no choice to inform them of their error, so I just trashed the whole survey.

I also received the message and I purchase through Fan Network. I replied to the message saying they have bad data.

I received a response from the marketing firm confirming that they indeed have skewed data.

Sounds like every company I've ever worked for.