Have DCI Standings Actually Stagnated?

So many kids move up into DCI from Open Class. No real service? Wrong. They serve as training grounds for a likely hundreds of participants in recent years who are now part of the seven, as well as the not-seven. How they see that as "no real service provided" baffles me.

I thought that the "no real service" comment was about what their proposal says about the DCI offering to Open class corps...that in their view DCI is not the best place for Open class corps to thrive. The Open corps belong (in their view) in smaller regional circuits, but they are welcome to the DCI champs if they so choose...just like the old days, really. It in no way says that Open class corps do not provide service to their members, and some of them will, like in the past, move up to the WC level in DCI. Even corps moved up to DCI from small local circuits...St Andrew's Bridgemen, Long Island Kingsmen and Polish Falcons, all from the Garden State Circuit, immediately spring to mind there.

• Like 1

I thought that the "no real service" comment was about what their proposal says about the DCI offering to Open class corps...that in their view DCI is not the best place for Open class corps to thrive. The Open corps belong (in their view) in smaller regional circuits, but they are welcome to the DCI champs if they so choose...just like the old days, really. It in no way says that Open class corps do not provide service to their members, and some of them will, like in the past, move up to the WC level in DCI. Even corps moved up to DCI from small local circuits...St Andrew's Bridgemen, Long Island Kingsmen and Polish Falcons, all from the Garden State Circuit, immediately spring to mind there.

Just last night, and just for giggles, I re-read the 2010 pdf, and what Mike says above is exactly as it's stated in that presentation.

The Open corps belong (in their view) in smaller regional circuits, but they are welcome to the DCI champs if they so choose...just like the old days, really

What " smaller regional circuit " would you recommend, for example, the Spartans ( long time Open Class Corps, and 5 years Open Class Champion)leave DCI to join, MikeD ?

Edited by BRASSO

Then I missed your point

the point was, purpose or service, having none of either is hardly an endearing endorsement of having them around.

What " smaller regional circuit " would you recommend, for example, the Spartans ( long time Open Class Corps, and 5 years Open Class Champion)leave DCI to join, MikeD ?

You did see the "(in their view)" in what I wrote I assume..."their" being the G7 proposal. I am guessing that "(in their view)" there would need to be new regional circuits created around the country, just as existed in the old days. Can that happen? Personally, I have my doubts in this day and age, but in any case I was speaking about what the G7 proposed in what you quoted.

So many kids move up into DCI from Open Class. No real service? Wrong. They serve as training grounds for a likely hundreds of participants in recent years who are now part of the seven, as well as the not-seven. How they see that as "no real service provided" baffles me.

far be it for me to use Jeff Feidler's words, but the fact that World Class "subsidizes them" means they are a drag on funds that could go to the 7.

it's like competing with one arm behind your back

:devil:/>

yet the last regional circuit was killed off.......in a move led by the World Class corps.

funny how that happened

You did see the "(in their view)" in what I wrote I assume..."their" being the G7 proposal. I am guessing that "(in their view)" there would need to be new regional circuits created around the country, just as existed in the old days. Can that happen? Personally, I have my doubts in this day and age, but in any case I was speaking about what the G7 proposed in what you quoted.

We seem to be making progress here today.... and thats a good thing, imo.

If we assume that the G7 proposal called for the Open Class Corps ( as you said) " to return to smaller, more regional circuits ", then I think that we should be able to agree that if G7 proposal was adopted this would immediately kill off just about all of the Corps in Open Class. Why ? Well, since the Spartans ( for example ) are from Nashua, New Hampshire, there are no Junior Corps that compete now within 350 miles of of them at this Open Class level. They are not alone. More than 3/ 4ths of the Open Class Corps are isolated from one another in their region. Most by several hundred miles. The opportunity for them to exist outside of DCI, and somehow wait for " smaller, regional circuits " that died out decades ago to somehow reemerge is for all intents and purposes, an impossibility. Thus, one can... or should.... be able to understand, imo, why the Open Class Corps Directors ( minus the BD, SCV units ) are universally opposed to what the G7 are proposing. It would have the effect of immediately kiiling off these 20 some odd Corps as without DCI, they can not exist. If this was 1965, 1975, they might be able too. But not today. They have no place to go outside of DCI, and the notion of them now joining up with "smaller, regional circuits " is simply no longer an option for them. And I certainly believe that the G7 knew this as well when they proposed it, as if nothing else, I do believe that they are smart enough to know what effect their proposal would have on the Open Class Corps as well.... and this is why you'd be hard pressed to see any support at all from the Open Class Corps, ( absent BD, SCV feeder units ) for the G7 plans.

Edited by BRASSO

It was not referring to the Open Class Corps! It was referring to DCI! "No real service provided..." ...by DCI to Open Class Circuit.

We seem to be making progress here today.... and thats a good thing, imo.

If we assume that the G7 proposal called for the Open Class Corps ( as you said) " to return to smaller, more regional circuits ", then I think that we should be able to agree that if G7 proposal was adopted this would immediately kill off just about all of the Corps in Open Class. Why ? Well, since the Spartans ( for example ) are from Nashua, New Hampshire, there are no Junior Corps that compete now within 350 miles of of them at this Open Class level. They are not alone. More than 3/ 4ths of the Open Class Corps are isolated from one another in their region. Most by several hundred miles. The opportunity for them to exist outside of DCI, and somehow wait for " smaller, regional circuits " that died out decades ago to somehow reemerge is for all intents and purposes, an impossibility. Thus, one can... or should.... be able to understand, imo, why the Open Class Corps Directors ( minus the BD, SCV units ) are universally opposed to what the G7 are proposing. It would have the effect of immediately kiiling off these 20 some odd Corps as without DCI, they can not exist. If this was 1965, 1975, they might be able too. But not today. They have no place to go outside of DCI, and the notion of them now joining up with "smaller, regional circuits " is simply no longer an option for them. And I certainly believe that the G7 knew this as well when they proposed it, as if nothing else, I do believe that they are smart enough to know what effect their proposal would have on the Open Class Corps as well.... and this is why you'd be hard pressed to see any support at all from the Open Class Corps, ( absent BD, SCV feeder units ) for the G7 plans.

Well, like all restructuring it takes time. I would like for DCA to grow large enough it becomes responsible for all regional touring. No national champs etc. and then I would like DCI to focus on just World Class national touring.

While you say that Spartans do not have other Open Class corps around them that doesn't mean they will immediately fold. They may still appear at DCI and DCA shows and could even compete in DCA if they really wanted.

I think what this boils down to is would Open Class be more successful for DCI if it was more regional? Maybe not today but in the future possibly. Weekend drum corps is becoming increasingly popular especially as WGI gains in popularity.

Edited by charlie1223