Phantom Regiment 2013 (2)

A few thoughts:

- The opener is tremendous.

- The use of Britten is refreshing, but I think a more fitting vibe could've come from a Shosty piece.

- I wasn't thrilled about the choice of Nimrod - I like it, and it will be gorgeous, but it's a missed opportunity for something new.

- Holy brass runs in Shostakovich 11.

- Transitions will come, but the sections are very disjoint. Especially the Mahler.

For different reasons, I wasn't sold on Juliet after seeing the concert video, but it quickly grew on me. I'm sure this will do the same.

That's my biggest beef right now, some parts don't flow too well, transitions are pretty abrupt. We can't really hear the pit too well from this video though, and I wouldn't be surprised if hearing their parts would make transitions make more sense. I guess we'll find out.

Oh and can we stop using the awful strings patch on the synth?

Really though, I can see this show growing into something I really like.

I really really like the opener of the show. It seems like such classic Phantom and just pulls me in from the start. Nimrod was also really nice, but like others have said it seems a little over done and I think a better ballad could have been found. I was also completely sold on the little surprise ending. That will easily be one of my favorite moments this year and seems like the perfect place for them to form the chevron. Now for the bad. The entire show from the opener onwards just felt very disjointed between random drum breaksand what not. It just didn't shout Phantom to me. Normally they are one of the few corps to play phrases at least through their entirety, but this concert seemed very chop and boppish to me. Of course it is far too early to judge the finished product as this was merely a standstill and the breaks will hopefully make sense with the drill. Either way they still have 2 months to make all of the changes in the world. I have always loved Phantom and their shows and I have complete faith in their ability to turn this show into an even bigger winning machine than last year. Btw, the brass to me seemed even stronger and aggressive than last year. Love the work they've done with the brass line the past two years and drumline seems very on point compared to last year. Can't wait to see how this show looks on the field and how it changes over the season. Best of luckPPhantom and see ya in Houston

Loved this show!! I think it's my favorite since 2006... Definitely needs some work, but regiment is known for polishing and refining as they go.

Can't wait to see the visual elements!

And can drum corps just STOP USING NIMROD.

It will never sound right... it will always be disappointing for me. It doesn't have to be say as slow as Bernstein conducted it... but it's always too fast and too metrical every time anything other than an orchestra performs that piece. It's like everyone is too afraid to actually do the piece justice. Hopefully they get a little free-er with it as the season goes. Crown did it okay... they are great at the ebb and flow with dynamics and tempo... Phantom used to be amazing at it. 94 anyone? THAT WAS A RISK! And it was mostly amazing.

Why are we so afraid to perform musically in drum corps!

Okay done with that rant, back to Phantom specifically.

Overall I'm meh with the arrangements right now. I've felt that way the past two years now after the concert in the park... but once I see everything on the field I usually feel better. (probably because they visually ROCK!)

06 Ave Maria anyone? 2012 Nessun Dorma anyone? I loved seeing them march those ritardando's. So musical, and exposed and risky and amazing. The average viewer doesn't notice those types of things but I was peeing my pants.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

06 Ave Maria anyone? 2012 Nessun Dorma anyone? I loved seeing them march those ritardando's. So musical, and exposed and risky and amazing. The average viewer doesn't notice those types of things but I was peeing my pants.

Yes!!! I was just trying to get my post wrapped up faster.. and honestly I forgot about last year... woops haha....I could have become very long winded... as I usually do, haha.

06 was just absolutely amazing. Arrangements right down to the performance. Amazing form everyone. Last year was also VERY well done. But few corps ever try this to the extent Phantom and Crown has. Especially Phantom. Heck Rhapsody in 2005!!! THE WHOLE FRICKIN SHOW!!

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Sounds good for this point, but they do need to work transitions in. I said the same thing in 2011, and they got added later on. I'm just not sure how I feel about the show. It just seemed to be slow through it. Even the higher tempo sections seemed to be ballad-like, but maybe once it's on the field I'll feel different. Lots of it reminds me of Juliet, the way it all seems like one big ballad.

Liked the little nod to the Mahler at the end. That was a nice little treat thrown in for the music nerds.

What an incredible opener. I rarely get goosebumps from recordings (doubly so preseason recordings)...but GOOSEBUMP CITY!! Man I can't wait to hear how this turns out by Finals...