TOC/G7 Related Discussion

Oh, gee I didnt see that coming. What, by far, and it isn't even close, is the largest revenue stream for the NFL? Television revenue.

So, yes you are correct that teams keep their teamwear and hot dog money.

I stand by my point.

I wouldn't overlook the sale of team merchandise. It makes a pile of money. And ticket sales are not chicken feed either.

The TV money *is* the big bucks though. And the NFL negotiates the "big money" directly with the networks. NFL teams have very little control over the value of the TV market in which their team is located. TV revenue-sharing addresses this inequity.

If DCI were negotiating "big money" directly with advertisers, it would be entirely appropriate for them to distribute those funds equally to all members.

You may stand by your point...but the point falls flat on its face.

response to your edit.

Ticket revenue is not re-distributed across all the teams. The gate is split between the two teams playing (with the home team taking the larger share). In effect the drawing power of the matchup has a direct relationship to revenue. Teams who've developed a strong following benefit at the gate (and through ticket revenues). The Jaguars dont' see a dime of the Cowboys gate unless they happen to be playing each other in Jacksonville or Dallas.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 4

Man... there were some really rough spots there.

Yea, and this was the, what, 4th performance of 5 of this? Not to mention practices and run-throughs.

But, again, I ask: Is this programming, and the other "interactive" parts of the scheme the kind of stuff that will get new fans to the stadiums to see drum corps?

BTW, the NFL doesn't have the problem of the same couple teams repeating as champion over and over and over and over. This is thought to be due to revenue sharing.

And the salary cap. That is huge.

excellent point. DCI could also institute a salary cap of sorts. A spending cap maybe. That, plus revenue sharing, could reshape the landscape in a positive manner.

An underlying assumption would have to be that...what's good for one is good for all. Current corps directors seem to be far from thinking that way though. Imagine....what's good for Pioneer is good for BD?

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2

You may stand by your point...but the point falls flat on its face.

response to your edit.

Ticket revenue is not re-distributed across all the teams. The gate is split between the two teams playing (with the home team taking the larger share). In effect the drawing power of the matchup has a direct relationship to revenue. Teams who've developed a strong following benefit at the gate (and through ticket revenues). The Jaguars dont' see a dime of the Cowboys gate unless they happen to be playing each other in Jacksonville or Dallas.

When you play dumb it doesn't become you. You're a pretty insightful poster, but on this one you're playing games. Over the course of several years all teams pretty much play each other both at home and on the road. It's not hard to see that sharing the ticket sales (and I think it's 60/40 but I'm too lazy to google it right now), over time, creates revenue sharing. But you're arguing just for the sake of arguing.

• Like 2

excellent point. DCI could also institute a salary cap of sorts. A spending cap maybe. That, plus revenue sharing, could reshape the landscape in a positive manner.

An underlying assumption would have to be that...what's good for one is good for all. Current corps directors seem to be far from thinking that way though. Imagine....what's good for Pioneer is good for BD?

Yea, gimp my corps because your corps sucks. Great plan. I'd suggest the opposite, but it would be just as dumb (require Pio to spend as much as BD or CC or Cadets). Pioneer is exactly where they are *because* that's exactly where they want to be. They've been quite open an honest about it actually.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

if revenue sharing and a salary cap was the answer the Kansas City Royals and Pittsburgh Pirates would be in the World Series, and the Super Bowl would be a Buffalo/Jacksonville matchup. Lots of issues when you hand that money over to teams/corps. Stipulating that a certain % actually be spent would be one. Then you look at another issue of HOW it's spent. Giving money to a team/corps is one thing, but not a guarantee that they'll spend it in the right areas and that it will automatically lead go greater successes.

here's the thing Dan...the 7 controlled DCI's destiny. Since the late 80's, 3 of them were the driving forces that put DCI where it is. So how come none of them have the balls to admit "oops, we made a mistake."?

I've asked you this before, and you always avoid answering it. Given your ties to members of the 7, I'd love to hear your thoughts

Well Daniel Ray? Asked a direct question, and you dodge again.

Why should the people who put DCI in a position to where it's "broken" be allowed to run it?

• Like 1

Is this what we can look forward to again this year now that the Seven have programming all to themselves?

I think I'd rather have the smoke machine...

I'm wondering how this kind of programming will increase attendance? It might be fun for fans who are already there to see the show, but I wonder if this, and the other "interactive" parts are enough to attract new attendees?

"No, really! At the end, they have this song they play, where all the guard members change into matching shorts and t-shirts and spin colorful flags for a whole four counts! Really! You should come! Tickets are only $50!"

(Old fan: "And why did they stop doing retreat again?")

Really?

Harumph. Summer marching band for sure.

http://youtu.be/2qxhUBE2_Jc

(some help please. I can't get this to embed. Would someone else try for me? The embed code doesn't seem to work; directions please?)

yeah that's worth the price

:rolleyes:/>

I think there should be an early window of time where corps have exclusive rights to sell seats... as much as they can sell... best seats (in addition to blocks) on a first come first served basis.

Once that window closes, then DCI pushes out the remainder.

This gives a strong incentive for corps to get more aggressively involved in the sales process.... even for shows they are not at!!!

except of course, you want the best corps to go first, then the rest right?