is I&E no more?

I was asking Rick Odello if my son could compete in guitar in I&E and then he told me there wasn't going to be any. I assume that is for Open class but what about WC?

That really sucks big time they pulled it in any class!

Personally, I don't like the concept of I&E.

There are plenty of other opportunities for individuals to compete as individuals on their instrument of choice.

Drum Corps is supposed to be about the Corps, not the individual.

Again, this is my opinion. Your milage may vary.

• Like 3

Personally, I don't like the concept of I&E.

There are plenty of other opportunities for individuals to compete as individuals on their instrument of choice.

Again, this is my opinion. Your milage may vary.

I agree. Its always been about what's going on on the field to me, and the process behind that product. I love watching lot videos and rehearsal clips. I've never spent more than about 5 minutes at a time watching I&E videos, and I've never felt compelled to participate, or see it in person. I can see why some like it, but its never been a big part of the summer for me, as a fan or as a member.

• Like 2

Where's Mr. Boo with the official DCI announcement and corresponding link? From this link (the 2013 schedule), it shows that Open Class I&E is going to happen Wed, Aug 7. I guess we're supposed to surmise from World Class' omission that it ain't happenin'.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=32f8d801-9d97-4552-a057-ba808894d6f5

Yeah, if this is true, then DCI has done a poor job of managing the news.

I think the I&E concept would live on if all DCI shows took on the 2011(?) version of the Tour of Champions format.

I personally would like the context of pre-show entertainment small ensembles better than a separate competitive event. More performance opportunities throughout the season and a chance to connect with audience members.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

I think what helped to kill I&E was moving it away from finals weekend. Right smack in the middle of tour does not work out for many corps...

• Like 5

Historically speaking, they went alongside each other hand in hand without a problem for almost the entire 20th century through the various circuits until corps directors began to forbid their members from competing. Really, what was the problem?

• Like 3

I think what helped to kill I&E was moving it away from finals weekend. Right smack in the middle of tour does not work out for many corps...

Not to mention the joke that it turned into in allowing everything but Kitchen Sink I&E into the mix... (says the proud woodwind player who would never, ever...ever have considered trying to get a DCI I&E title on a woodwind instrument if it had been around then...)

• Like 1

Where's Mr. Boo with the official DCI announcement and corresponding link? From this link (the 2013 schedule), it shows that Open Class I&E is going to happen Wed, Aug 7. I guess we're supposed to surmise from World Class' omission that it ain't happenin'.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=32f8d801-9d97-4552-a057-ba808894d6f5

I got home several minutes ago from a trip to northwest Illinois to visit my brother at his group home for the deaf and blind. So, I've been out of commission most of the day. I am, however, attending a concert of the Boston Brass in Chicago Friday night with the person who ran I&E in 2012 and her husband. She's on top of the situation and I'll know more after our dinner and the concert. (Hey; when I want to get to the bottom of a story, I go all out.) :tongue:

• Like 2

the move away from finals hurt. also some corps want every second of rehearsal for that precious tenth.