Rumblings from CADETLAND

Having been to the theatre last night for the Akron show, I congratulate the corps on a fine showing. And as I publicly criticized here, I now publicly acknowledge the improvement in the show since Johnstown in terms of portraying some musical emotions and not just technical proficiency. The soprano soloist improved. The mellophone soloist gets even better every times she performs, and the hornline displayed verve and expression.

Visually the show is much more impressive than anything All-Access has shown us previously this season. The guard uniforms very much work when viewed in the horizon of the corps uniforms, green field, and show movement. However I am not yet sold on the ending which mimics 1987 App. Spring. Why it worked in '87 is that it stood in contrast to the roller coaster of musical emotions played in the previous eleven minutes. That roller coaster neither reaches great valleys or mountain peaks in this show. It's really much like Hopkins and Bocook's own personalities: phlegmatic. Don't you remember Michael Cesario's key word for a successful drum corps communication from the field: EXAGGERATE. We need more of Gino-before-the-hornline type of personality from the show. Especially if you don't want SCV to take a medal chance away from you.

Wonderful choice of Colin as the TV spokesperson interviewed by Dennis and Steve: articulate, clear, personable, engaging, and inspiring without the BS some of the other reps from other shows presented.

• Like 1

I think this is a dark house for gold, and the drums will give SCV a run for their money.

I think this is a dark house for gold, and the drums will give SCV a run for their money.

After watching it a few times, I really hope this show wins.

Classic Cadets . . . and has overtaken Crown as my favorite show of the year. :smile:

Wonderful choice of Colin as the TV spokesperson interviewed by Dennis and Steve: articulate, clear, personable, engaging, and inspiring without the BS some of the other reps from other shows presented.

Totally agree. You would never have guessed he was a drum guy :thumbup:

Totally agree. You would never have guessed he was a drum guy :thumbup:/>

Mr. MacNutt has his degree in Classics, no less.

I mean the real things (Latin & Greek) not just the drum licks from the Fan Network from the '70's and '80's..:worthy:/>

• Like 1

Went to the Premier show at the theater last night - Cadets' show was my favorite of the night! Of course, they had me at Samuel Barber, but still they played the HECK out of it. It was like the volume got turned up in the theater when they came on. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again in August.

I really agree with this. It's the first time I've seen him a spokesperson for the Cadets' design team, but he was very well spoken and his commentary did a great job of setting up the performance.

• Like 1