Rumblings from CADETLAND

I got to see the show twice, from 8p, then after it was done at 815p I just hit the button and watched it again.

Fantastic concept, great show design, super clean. I've seen SCV's Adagio for Strings live, and I saw Star of Indiana do Medea live. It is not a fair comparison, each must be judged in its own time.

I am not the only one to note the irony that Cadets "took away" the title in '93 many thought belonged to Star with its Bartok show; I was not one of those people. Cadets had the more interesting show that year, and I thought it deserved to win all the way. Turn the page.

Now Cadets are playing the best piece from that Star show, Medea. It was not enough to propel Star to a win that year. Will Medea propel the Cadet to a championship, or will history repeat itself as Cadets must overcome what looks like a very crowd pleasing show that Crown has put together?

Irony all around.

Good point, although crowd pleasing doesn't necessarily mean championship show. I'll refer you to a few BD shows (no offense to any fans of BD, just making a point).

Agreed. I love the music of this show, but after the first big hit it seems to stagnate for several minutes. It also seemed like the holes diminished over the show and I saw several people hop in. Seems like they have the people, they're just fresh and still working in where they can. The best part of having so much to clean and TONS of exposure when they're so spread out on the field is that the "roof" for your show can go so so much higher than a show that's already clean. Can't wait to see this show develop. Also, any bets on them making a star shape when they play that blacked out part of the video?

I don't think their would be any artistic reason to form a star in Medea. I did see a few "S"'s in the show and a big S x S. Drill needs some rewrites.

I don't think their would be any artistic reason to form a star in Medea. I did see a few "S"'s in the show and a big S x S. Drill needs some rewrites.

I believe in Jeff Saktig (sp?).

I'm actually digging the towers. They're being used visually better than I expected. Just need to clean up their movement on the field and sync the color reveals a bit which will come in time.

• Like 1

Interested to see the next show recaps. I would have thought percussion would have had a larger scoring gap and visual analysis? Not sure what happened. Maybe the naked towers and windy conditions took some of the luster off the Cadets although George said they did well. Early season judging can be unpredictable for first time viewing I guess.

Even west coast recaps, I thought Crown would have had a larger spread in brass.

Interested to see the next show recaps. I would have thought percussion would have had a larger scoring gap and visual analysis?

Who is this Ken Giese judge who iced the corps under PR and Madison last night? I don't recognize his name as a veteran judge.

By the way, he is on the panel for the Fairfield show tomorrow and doing the same subcaption (odd for early season evaluations.)

Who is this Ken Giese judge who iced the corps under PR and Madison last night? I don't recognize his name as a veteran judge.

By the way, he is on the panel for the Fairfield show tomorrow and doing the same subcaption (odd for early season evaluations.)

Ken has been a DCI, BOA, and WGI judge for years.

Even west coast recaps, I thought Crown would have had a larger spread in brass.

Early season it always seems the judges just "put the corps in order" and later in the year the spreads get better defined