Rumblings from CADETLAND

I really enjoy the quiet ending, but if I saw what happened right, they trick the audience into standing at the last big impact before they wander off into the back corner. I saw the DM turning back around to face the corps after the audience had half-stood for the ovation, and everyone kind of slowly sat back down.

...and this feels odd IMO

I don't mind the soft ending...but they also need a fast ending prior to it... the ending of medea just does not translate well

Edited by dcibrando

I don't see how that would be remotely possible with the fabric covering the tops. I also don't think they're nearly wide enough to safely toss any of their equipment.

Oh right! Good point...

I don't see how that would be remotely possible with the fabric covering the tops. I also don't think they're nearly wide enough to safely toss any of their equipment.

Actually, they are indeed tossing little tiny rifles inside the props, but the cover on top hides what they are doing. They DO tell the judges what is going on just to make sure they get credit for it. :lookaround:/>

• Like 3

so are the cadets going to redo the end of medea (prior to the soft ending) so I can take my neck brace off from the musical whiplash when it changes into the slow chords from Adagio? They need a cadets fast chaotic drill ending before the soft ending IMO to bring more GE. Look at 2011 and 2012... the big park and blow chord before the fast ending.. got everyone out of their seats...this show needs that again IMO

But...the big chord before the fast ending was played into by a VERY SLOW oblique company front... They marched into the climax chord much faster in 2012 and this year, compared to 2011. And their soft-ending drill actually is very fast.

Guess I'm trying to say -- I don't disagree that the whole ending (chord+soft) could have more impact, I'm just trying to convey that it's not as simple as just go crazy with the feet.

But...the big chord before the fast ending was played into by a VERY SLOW oblique company front... They marched into the climax chord much faster in 2012 and this year, compared to 2011. And their soft-ending drill actually is very fast.

Guess I'm trying to say -- I don't disagree that the whole ending (chord+soft) could have more impact, I'm just trying to convey that it's not as simple as just go crazy with the feet.

true...and I agree with that..... I just think they REALLY need to rework the medea ending

My biggest issue with the big-hit-to-soft-ending right now is the fact that the DM is turning around after the big hit, like their show is over. Then he turns back around and conducts them through the soft ending.

That, I think, is what's confusing people. Turn around when the show is actually over over.

My biggest issue with the big-hit-to-soft-ending right now is the fact that the DM is turning around after the big hit, like their show is over. Then he turns back around and conducts them through the soft ending.

That, I think, is what's confusing people. Turn around when the show is actually over over.

That is an audience applause issue but not really a judging GE issue. I'm sure the design team knows its not quite there yet. I agree, that if DM saved the bow until the end of the show, the applause would be more substancial.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

Yeah, he shouldn't do that, and maybe for good measure something should still be going on on the field through the grand pause. Some guard work, a small ensemble drill, something.

I have to say this is one of my favorite Cadets shows in the last decade. Great music, great drill. Interesting that people are complaining about the ending. When Carolina Crown did their fake ending on Rach Star, with the drum major turning around while the percussion section kicked it back in, everyone loved it. There have been quite a few shows with fake endings before, and soft endings as well. I have had many complaints with the Cadets over use of vocals, narration, etc, but I have to say I think this show is definitely capable of a title this year. I am also not always huge on a soft ending, and I agree there is still more that will probably change before finsls. But even as the show is now, I think it is great.

Just back from the Midwest and, ahem, blush...

snapback.pngnormy diploome, on 11 July 2013 - 09:41 AM, said:

Hey, we see what you did there.

But since no one has yet said it, no ties either... I mean, that would make it Side X Side :rolleyes:/>/>/>

Now, however, we analyze caption wins, subcaption spreads, straighten out the *^$#@ towers at the start of the show roadies, clean a tick here, add some velocity there...

Half way through an incredible season!