Rumblings from CADETLAND

Probably beating the horse here, but holy horn line. First show was in DeKalb. Blue Devils were good, really liked the show and solid brass per usual.

Crown came on, sounded really fantastic. Loved the show, loved the horn book, loved the power.

Then, out of nowhere, came The Cadets. Beautifully written horn book (especially the ballad), and stupid, stupid loud. They flat out have the best book and I seriously am digging the mellophones and baritones.

Don't remember the last time I heard a Cadets hornline like this... 2007? 2005? Bueller?

It's a great brass line. Should score near the top in INDY along with percussion. Cadets should win the Music caption.

Meanwhile, GH blew up facebook by publicly complaining about their housing situations coming up.

• Like 3

Meanwhile, GH blew up facebook by publicly complaining about their housing situations coming up.

[/quote

Yes, George will never get an honorary doctorate for stellar achievements in public relations.

There are reasons, in fact many reasons, why he should not go on tour. Every year he does there is at least one episode like this when he sabotages the extraordinary achievement of the kids by putting himself, in their name, in the middle of some made-for-the-moment drama.

I almost think he really wanted to march guard rather than be a Philadelphia snare drummer. Over and over it is the same thing and is why many good people (adults) have left the organization and gone on to do fabulous things elsewhere (Star, Crown, Boston, just for examples.)

A few seasons back in tune with the 75th anniversary there was an underground tee shirt about, worn by several members of extraordinary corps competitors, "FBHA" (Fired by Hopkins Association.) Always the kids suffer because of the egos and why many do not return. Sad...

Unfortunately it leads some to say "FTC!" Here I hope it means, "Forgive the Cadets."

And I hear that Cadet alum Brendon Foley has been doing a phenomenal job with the housing procurement and details previously. Kudos Brendon, despite George.

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 2

Every year he does there is at least one episode like this when he sabotages the extraordinary achievement of the kids by putting himself, in their name, in the middle of some made-for-the-moment drama.

That is facebook's problem, not his. Others can post any opinion they want on twitter, facebook, DCP, etc., but George is exempt. And with all due respect to George, why should I care what a marching band director thinks about a region or state. If he wants to share frustration, there's not a problem with that.

If people want to hate on him, they should do so because of the 2006 or 2008 shows, not because of him airing bad experiences he's had in the south. :)

• Like 1

That is facebook's problem, not his. Others can post any opinion they want on twitter, facebook, DCP, etc., but George is exempt. And with all due respect to George, why should I care what a marching band director thinks about a region or state. If he wants to share frustration, there's not a problem with that.

If people want to hate on him, they should do so because of the 2006 or 2008 shows, not because of him airing bad experiences he's had in the south. :)

What's somewhat amusing is that it was posted on both GH's Facebook and The Cadets' facebook. The comments on GH's page were mostly helpful. The comments on The Cadets' page (much more numerous) were VERY angry.

What's somewhat amusing is that it was posted on both GH's Facebook and The Cadets' facebook. The comments on GH's page were mostly helpful. The comments on The Cadets' page (much more numerous) were VERY angry.

I would say that maybe a third of his posts should be rebroadcast by the Cadets facebook page. He's often very appreciative of the work of members and volunteers, heaping praise after great performances, among others, and that sort of thing should be reposted.

Whoever manages the Cadets page should use a little more judgment when reposting his disdain for judging, show outcomes, and his opinions on the south. There have been a few times when I wondered "are they just reposting everything he writes?"

I just think there should be this rule of design. The larger the prop the more versatile they should be. You can't have massive boxes on the field that are ONLY used to hang fabric and roll around.

Use them to climb on, the interact with, to hang flags from, to pull things out of, to hide things inside/behind... Idk just do MORE with the largest props in the field! Even last year the presents opened up and became guard equipment for them to slide on and repositioned to create a new setting.

I just don't think they are yet maximizing how effective they can be and missing opportunities in their ability to be used in multiple forms and functions. If they were designed just to split sides... They didn't need to be so huge.

Hide stripper poles in the boxes. New ending is the drop the fabric to reveal the guard on the poles and play techno remix of Adagio! The GE would be legendary!

• Like 1

Hide stripper poles in the boxes. New ending is the drop the fabric to reveal the guard on the poles and play techno remix of Adagio! The GE would be legendary!

This is not the Blue Devils drum corps doing When a Man Loves a Woman!

• Like 1

Aunt Nell is already rolling in the grave. Ssshheesh. Please let her rest in peace!

This is not the Blue Devils drum corps doing When a Man Loves a Woman!

Then again, is that why all those poles are out there during BD 2013?!?!

Ah, I see we now even have a separate thread about them.