Blue Devils 2013

Advertising slogans don't have to be literally true to be effective -- they just need to be memorable.

MMs-Melt-Hand.jpg

Apparently that's lost on some posters.ph34r.gif

OT...

I worked for Mars, Inc for 7 years back through the 80's. The slogan is actually quite true, as it says the "milk chocolate melts in your mouth, not in your hands."

It doesn't say anything about the sugar shell not melting in your hands! :smile:

• Like 1

So, people who boo at 'Major League' competitions, not little league or youth activities mind you, but 'Major League' competitions are idiots? This I agree with
Stu.....anyone who boos is an idiot. as a fan of most of the Philly pro teams, I've booed. I don't boo at drum corps shows, but then again, Philly doesn't have any :tongue:/>/> so in that context, I'm an idiot. Well, just saying I root for most Philly pro teams already says that. But....when I booed Pat Burrell or Scott Rolen or Tommy Lasorda or bad weather......did they let it get to them and go crying to the masses "oh our widdle feewings are hurt"? No. usually they did something to shut us all up. so if a kid is on the field, and their staff's design choices or behaviors get them booed.......rip a show and shut the booers the #### up. Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

Stu, the point here is that if a young person tries out and makes a corps, travels on their own dime, practices their ### off all spring and performs their heart out all summer across the country......why should anyone feel it necessary to express their disappointment or angst with that corps by booing? The message or reason the booer is trying to get across may be very specific....but to that young person on the field, there is no translation...

Hmmmm, by writing all of this, 'awww, poor babies, they are just sacrificing youth', you are actually indicating DCI is not anywhere close to being a 'Major League'.

.....it just sucks.

Of course it sucks; even in a Major League; but in Major League as a player you 'take it' not cry about it.

And yes, the booers are idiots, thoughtless idiots!

The only way to communicate disapproval (of a play, a call, a move) in any competitive Major League is to boo, and that is not a sign of idiocy.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

Stu.....anyone who boos is an idiot. as a fan of most of the Philly pro teams, I've booed. I don't boo at drum corps shows, but then again, Philly doesn't have any :tongue:/>/>/> so in that context, I'm an idiot. Well, just saying I root for most Philly pro teams already says that. But....when I booed Pat Burrell or Scott Rolen or Tommy Lasorda or bad weather......did they let it get to them and go crying to the masses "oh our widdle feewings are hurt"? No. usually they did something to shut us all up. so if a kid is on the field, and their staff's design choices or behaviors get them booed.......rip a show and shut the booers the #### up.

As I stated earlier, the only way to communicate disapproval (of a play, a call, a move) in any competitive Major League is to boo, and that is not a sign of idiocy. Is DCI a Major League? If so then booing is completely in order and part of the Major League world of competition; if this is not a Major League I will bend to not booing.

• Like 1

Hmmmm, by writing all of this, 'awww, poor babies, they are just sacrificing youth', you are actually indicating DCI is not anywhere close to being a 'Major League'.

b

Of course it sucks; even in a Major League; but in Major League as a player you 'take it' not cry about it.

The only way to communicate disapproval (of a play, a call, a move) in any competitive Major League is to boo, and that is not a sign of idiocy.

You win....they're not idiots...they're just intelligent people with communication issues.

And because they have such a problem communicating their mental state ....they would perhaps be the same ones burping and farting at the dinner table. In all, just a joy to be around! A veritable cacophony of grunts, bellows and other forms of communication of few words.

In addition, it's rather difficult to believe that anyone who actually marched a corps, who understands what goes into everything right up to that last blast of the horn or strike of the drum head or catch of the flag.....would have even the slightest desire to send that kind of guttural, thoughtless message across the space to that MM there sweating and gasping for air, because they were there once themselves. blink.gif/>

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 4

You win....they're not idiots...they're just intelligent people with communication issues.

And because they have such a problem communicating their mental state ....they would perhaps be the same ones burping and farting at the dinner table. In all, just a joy to be around! A veritable cacophony of grunts, bellows and other forms of communication of few words.

In addition, it's rather difficult to believe that anyone who actually marched a corps, who understands what goes into everything right up to that last blast of the horn or strike of the drum head or catch of the flag.....would have even the slightest desire to send that kind of guttural, thoughtless message across the space to that MM there sweating and gasping for air, because they were there once themselves. blink.gif/>

But it does happen.

Ironically, sometimes it is because "the MM there sweating and gasping for air" isn't doing what the others did or the way it was done by "they [who] were there once themselves."

But then again, there are people who would put oats in autos because that's what we always fed the horses.

• Like 1

I worked for Mars, Inc for 7 years back through the 80's.

Wow... and you survived. LOL

That is one very wacky family.

Edited by Fran Haring

And welcome to the Major League!!!! You all want the moniker, well you all have to also take the full impact of that moniker. Major League competition is not for the faint at heart artsy pansy polite youth set; Major League competition is about the bellows, grunts, farting, scratching, booing, and tough skinned sort.

I marched in DCI when it was a youth educational activity; yes there was competition and I was a member of a top corps on live broadcast TV; but not in an era where these corps made any claims of Major League status. And while I personally do not boo, I hold no ill will for those who do in today's version because of that self-proclaimed status of Major League. Take away the current Major League moniker, place the activity back into the realm of being a youth educational activity not a multimillion dollar per year Major League Touring model, and I will be back with you here 100%. But if the powers at be want this to be a Major League, then they need to take the full impact of that title and therefore I say suck it up and accept the Major League aspects of bellows, grunts, farting, scratching, booing,...

Edited by Stu

OT...

The slogan is actually quite true, as it says the "milk chocolate melts in your mouth, not in your hands."

It doesn't say anything about the sugar shell not melting in your hands! :smile:/>

Until chocolate aficionado Michael Cesario offers up his chocolate analysis for us on this, we probably would be well advised to not jump to any conclusions on this just yet, imo

• Like 2