New Uniforms 2013

I think a corps can change their uniform and still be true to their identity. The Cadets are the only active World Class corps that have kept the same (well, sort of) uniform design from day one. So are you implying that The Cadets are the only WC corps to maintain their style and identity?

My concern with corps loosing their style or identity doesn't focus on the uniform as much as their musical style. I think if you put everyone in shorts and t-shirts it would be very difficult to discern one from another (with a few exceptions). I think this is why I admire what Phantom has done over the last several years. They have managed to stay competitive and still hold true to their musical roots. Perhaps they have an advantage here in that one could argue they have a broader pool of literature to pull from with their chosen genre, but there is no mistaking them in a crowd. To some extent I admire my home team (Blue Devils) for the same type of thing this year with their jazz interpretation of a classical piece. (Jury is still out on that one until we see how it manifests itself.) I think corps like Troopers have made it difficult for themselves because of the limited amount of literature that fits their historical roots and what we all come to think of when we think the "Troop".

There seems to be a formula that everyone feels they need to adhere to in order to be competitive, and perhaps they are right. After talking with one of the brass staff members with Spirit recently he said that when they designed their show this year they literally went down a "checklist" of items on the judges sheets to make sure they were addressing all of the elements that are rewarded under the guidelines of the evaluation process. Very wise on their part. However, it seems that in order to do that, what you end up with all too often is ten and a half minutes of technique with little attention to melodic continuity and flow. Again, this is why I admire Phantom so much with what they have accomplished. Listen to Nesun Dorma from last year or the Nimrod from this year's show. WOW...just beautiful.

Getting back to Spirit, being from the area and also an ex staff member, they have done a wonderful job re-establishing their connection with their alumni and fans over the past few years by managing to find ways to incorporate their traditional roots into the modern expectations of competitive drum corps. Has this cost them on the competitive side?...doesn't seem to but we will see how things pan out this year.

I am not saying that every corps has to stay riveted to their musical selections of the past. I realize that Legend of the One Eyed Sailor or Dindi probably wouldn't be great choices for BD these days (although a lot of us old timers sure would love hearing them!). I am just saying that I miss the days where everyone was unique and the melodic line was something to be treasured without being fragmented into triple tongue passages and 32nd note runs. I think difficulty has outweighed everything else in the activity, both musically and visually. I know something has to separate the great from the best, but I wish it wasn't so often something so mechanical. There has to be a balance somewhere...right? I know, I'm old and perhaps need to get with the times, but to me, drum corps marked the ultimate achievement of musicianship, sensitivity, emotion, power and musicality. That's what separated it from everything else for me. That's what drew me to the activity. That's what is missing for me now.

Dan

Edited by Dan Detweiler
  • Like 4

I know, I'm old and perhaps need to get with the times, but to me, drum corps marked the ultimate achievement of musicianship, sensitivity, emotion, power and musicality. That's what separated it from everything else for me. That's what drew me to the activity. That's what is missing for me now.

Funny, I am old too, even older than you, and for me these things are in abundance now more than ever before, which is why I still love this activity, as I have since 1964 when I started (thanks Dad!).

• Like 6

I have only two observations to share...

1. Does anyone else feel the corps proper is starting to look more like the modern color guard costumes, especially when compared to the corps propers of yester year?

Nope. Crown and BD look weird up close, but if it projects well from the field, I'm all for it.

2. I find it interesting when many corps are always pan-handling for donations to 'make ends meet' they are buying new uniforms yearly.

I really doubt most corps' leadership lump their uniform budget in with their operational budget.

I think you are spot on. But when earlier this month I said in a post that the lobby in power today in DCI was the fabric and fringe crowd (we had the horn lobby changes and the percussion additions previously), the fashionistas,

guard folk, and anonymous lurkers negatively red marked me vehemently. I think your second point needs to be said LOUDER! especially in a world where so many clamor for food, housing, health, and basics.

The Gatorade and Oatmeal Cream Pie lobbies have the most influence. Everyone knows that.

• Like 1

Funny, I am old too, even older than you, and for me these things are in abundance now more than ever before, which is why I still love this activity, as I have since 1964 when I started (thanks Dad!).

Different strokes I guess Mike. Don't get me wrong, what I see on the field today is very impressive. I certainly couldn't do it! I just don't think it represents the the real aesthetic qualities that are inherent in the music. Just my 2 cents...not worth a whole lot in today's economy!

Dan

Blue Stars

969459_10151418971631923_1249801539_n.jpg

I find it interesting that there is a the cutout on the bottom right of the jacket, yet the jacket is the same color as the bibs. You can see the cutout in these pics, but you will never see it on the field, as it will blend in. Seems a little unusual to make something like that when it won't be seen.

I find it interesting that there is a the cutout on the bottom right of the jacket, yet the jacket is the same color as the bibs. You can see the cutout in these pics, but you will never see it on the field, as it will blend in. Seems a little unusual to make something like that when it won't be seen.

I don't think it's a "cut out". Notice how the collar comes down and is offset. The bottom just continues the offset that begins at the collar.

Different strokes I guess Mike. Don't get me wrong, what I see on the field today is very impressive. I certainly couldn't do it! I just don't think it represents the the real aesthetic qualities that are inherent in the music. Just my 2 cents...not worth a whole lot in today's economy!

Dan

Oh, absolutely it is a 'different strokes' kind of thing. That is why I put 'for me' in the post.

Phantom Regiment guard starts as this:

1002095_10151499132833668_189848571_n.jpg

(looks a little 2011ish to me)

Then the hoods come on at some point:

1005579_10151499136283668_2107318313_n.jpg

And then we see this:

993786_10151499139663668_362693530_n.jpg

Edited by crownisking
  • Like 1