New Uniforms 2013

the longer plume makes them look taller - I personally never liked the short squat plume Cadets used for that exact reason. the long plume adds height

Your good point must be placed against the horizon of the velocity of the Cadets' drill. Until there was a vast improvement in plume manufacturing, not only did the taller plumes cost more but they tended to fall off Cadets more often when tested than the shorter ones. Things have changed since.

Edited by drilltech1

Hah - it kind of does. I agree with you guys - there is an amazing 'sameness' to uniform design these days. I do appreciate Brent Becker - he does try rearranging things, moving lines, trying different fabrics and textures - sometimes the results are :blink:/> , but sometimes they're also :worthy:/> .

Mike

It is certainly good to have a different voice, though a lot of the real experimentation still goes on at the HS level, where there are just so many units that the chances of someone being able to try their own ideas is exponentially higher. I really liked a lot of the Becker stuff he did when he was just a kid posting sketches. The results with Stanbury have been mixed, with several of the designs seeming to work better in concept than reality - the Blue Stars split pants being one example. Madison's asymmetrical jacket, another - never seemed to fit right. Rookie mistakes, I think, and improving as he goes along.

I'm interested to see how this Bluecoats creation pans out. I thought they had gone to a toe-first marching technique, and I'm wondering if the rhythm of that might set up some "swing" in the long coats. We shall see..

For all his derivativeness and occasional bombs, Cesario really is still the master. I have great appreciation for his color sense and emphasis on design clarity. He creates interesting shapes that retain readability from great distance, and they are generally forgiving of a variety of body profiles.

the longer plume makes them look taller - I personally never liked the short squat plume Cadets used for that exact reason. the long plume adds height

This is one thing I don't understand......the quest for height. This is causing some plumes to look like pipe cleaners.

Why does everyone have to look tall?

• Like 2

Your good point must be placed against the horizon of the velocity of the Cadets' drill. Until there was a vast improvement in plume manufacturing, not only did the taller plumes cost more but they tended to fall off Cadets more often when tested than the shorter ones. Things have changed since.

Yes, now there are aeordynamic plumes that let the wind through! :smile:/>

shako.jpg

This is one thing I don't understand......the quest for height. This is causing some plumes to look like pipe cleaners.

Why does everyone have to look tall?

When drum corps contests were being held so often in the local non-Texas size football fields with bleachers, the members had a presence and entity which has been lost as more and more contests occur in NFL stadia and the even larger Texas size arenas. There many performers look as if they are the Skyriders doing that Munchkin number again. Anything that helps the performer look larger in these colossal size places is helpful. The video/TV/jumbotron clarity also prompts the size concern. (Yup, I know the joke about TV adding 10 lbs.) Other thoughts, anyone?

• Like 1

When drum corps contests were being held so often in the local non-Texas size football fields with bleachers, the members had a presence and entity which has been lost as more and more contests occur in NFL stadia and the even larger Texas size arenas. There many performers look as if they are the Skyriders doing that Munchkin number again. Anything that helps the performer look larger in these colossal size places is helpful. The video/TV/jumbotron clarity also prompts the size concern. (Yup, I know the joke about TV adding 10 lbs.) Other thoughts, anyone?

The plume wouldn't look like such an add-on if you made the whole corps uniform a part of the plume....

Plume Uniform

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 3

The plume wouldn't look like such an add-on if you made the whole corps uniform a part of the plume....

Plume Uniform

Don't give BD anymore ideas for 2014! Besides, drum corps is supposed to be Family entertainment.

My gosh, where do these posters find these things???

Plume Uniform

Drum Major, Chewbacca, is your corps ready??

Kashyyyk Kadets, you make take the field in competition...

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 3