Cost of marching with BD and cadets

The Cadets stay in the dorms at a college in Johnstown, Pa. for about 4-5 weeks before tour starts. They get 4 meals a day, Hot showers and the security of living on a college campus. I think Crown does the same thing. That's a much better bang for your buck!

I remember when I marched (04-06) it was $965 for the whole summer for a New Guy. Every year after that was $100 off I think.

Heh...yeah. I lived out of the old bingo hall attic for the first 3 months in 84...then I got into an apartment with some of the other guys and ended up sharing it with about a dozen others by the time tour started. (We've all been there)

$450 tour fee?? I definitely got a good bang for the buck there (or rather, my mother did!)

Sam, your showing your age! That was my second year marching and I think I paid around $300 to march. My wife was a rookie in the color guard that year and she marched for nothing because she helped sew flags! My, how times change.

Dan

The Cadets stay in the dorms at a college in Johnstown, Pa. for about 4-5 weeks before tour starts. They get 4 meals a day, Hot showers and the security of living on a college campus. I think Crown does the same thing. That's a much better bang for your buck!

Maybe so, but BD doesn't have guys quitting two and three weeks into spring training, like these corps do. They require some life commitment, not just a financial commitment.

• Like 2

Maybe so, but BD doesn't have guys quitting two and three weeks into spring training, like these corps do. They require some life commitment, not just a financial commitment.

This topic is about "Cost Of Marching" Kids drop out of ALL CORPS for various reasons. doh.gif

• Like 6

Having sponsored (with others) almost 50 from Cadets and many other corps over the years, I can tell you that the 2013 total budget of every expense from first audition to final return home after Championships for Cadets we are helping is an individual budget expectation of $4250 completely..

Check to see whether the corps you want provides the service, nickels and dimes for the service, or subcontracts to another entity who will then charge you. Meals in college cafeterias at Spring training (other than Cadets) is a nickel and dime example. Is the meal the corps provide chips and corndogs (first free, you pay for seconds or for loads of extra snacks later in the night) like some corps; Cadets give a full 4 square. Did you allot in your budget your security deposit (on uniform, equiptment, and sometimes dorm rooms for Spring training; BD means you have to provide that cost plus your apartment rental fee and daily costs for all meals.) Did you budget your return home after Championships, etc? What fees do lawyers like Whitedawn charge for court costs for those off campus BD parties, ha, ha??? (Not that other corps have not had their own hassles at times...)

• Like 2

most kids leaving at this time of year are due to injury.

I'll let the BD haters run with that however they want

• Like 1

Yikes, I'm getting raked over the coals. I only meant to say that when you've committed to moving across the country and figured out all of the logistics that go along with that, you're far less likely to quit when things get "tough" than you are when the only consequence is that you'll lose a couple thousand dollars.

most kids leaving at this time of year are due to injury.

I'll let the BD haters run with that however they want

I'm not so sure this is true. There are always injuries, sure, but there are (in my experience) always guys who just can't (or choose not to) hack it for whatever reason -- too hard / girlfriend at home / missing mom / etc.

All in all, I'd say that neither The Cadets or the Blue Devils offer the best value in the activity. I don't really know who does, but both systems have their issues.

• Like 1

Yikes, I'm getting raked over the coals. I only meant to say that when you've committed to moving across the country and figured out all of the logistics that go along with that, you're far less likely to quit when things get "tough" than you are when the only consequence is that you'll lose a couple thousand dollars.

Interesting POV.

Essentially you're saying that the Cadets (and pretty much every other WC corps) -- by taking care of housing and food during Spring Training -- are making it easier to quit because those members have not invested as much as a BD member who needs to figure out housing and meals on their own.

Not sure what I think about that. But it's an interesting spin.

Edited by corpsband

I'm not so sure this is true. There are always injuries, sure, but there are (in my experience) always guys who just can't (or choose not to) hack it for whatever reason -- too hard / girlfriend at home / missing mom / etc.

All in all, I'd say that neither The Cadets or the Blue Devils offer the best value in the activity. I don't really know who does, but both systems have their issues.

I don't understand the logic that allows you to say BD and Cadets don't offer the best value while at the sametime acknowledging you don't know who does. So you know of atleast 1 corps that has a better value than BD and Cadets? Care to share how you know this?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1