Have drum corps evolved into bands?

On this first day of the 2013 season I just read an interesting article on Drum Corps World's site by John Simpson and his thoughts on B flat VS G bugles. A good read (even for us drummers).

• Like 3

Not far from being a band, corps went to bb bugles to gain kids from high school bands .The G bugles sound a hell of a lot louder ,can't get that from the bb.LOUDER IS BETTER it gives the fan's what they want . Tubas and trumpets if you where to say that 20 years ago you'd be laughted out of rehersal.

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 4

Not far from being a band, corps went to bb bugles to gain kids from high school bands .The G bugles sound a hell of a lot louder ,can't get that from the bb.LOUDER IS BETTER it gives the fan's what they want . Tubas and trumpets if you where to say that 20 years ago you'd be laughted out of rehersal.

I have to agree with you...The progressive thinkers have gutted the appeal of what we know as drum corps. The big sound is gone...not just the brass, the perc now sounds as if it's played on cardboard boxes. Although many of the innovations over the past few decades are for the better, IMO, the dilution of the big bold sound striped away the excitement and allure.....so yes, todays corps are just a bunch of everyday bands!

• Like 4

So drum corps went from G to Bb just to draw kids from high school bands? And I have heard plenty of Bb lines that were plenty loud enough, however, if the fans want louder then perhaps we could line up 18 wheelers side by side accross the field and have them all blow their air horns at the same time for 11 minutes! And if you took a corps from 20 years ago and put them in competition today, they would be laughed off the field.

• Like 5

<snip>if the fans want louder then perhaps we could line up 18 wheelers side by side accross the field and have them all blow their air horns at the same time for 11 minutes! And if you took a corps from 20 years ago and put them in competition today, they would be laughed off the field.

but what if you took a horn line from today and took away 2 or 3 of their valves? You'd probably hear the same laughter.....but if you took 8 or 9 tractor/trailers, each air horn with a different note, Hy Dreitzer wold bring that laughing crowd to its feet ! (edited afterthought: And if Jimmy Cos trained the drivers, they'd have a decent drill, too)

Edited by JoeDz
  • Like 3

I have to agree with you...The progressive thinkers have gutted the appeal of what we know as drum corps. The big sound is gone...not just the brass, the perc now sounds as if it's played on cardboard boxes. Although many of the innovations over the past few decades are for the better, IMO, the dilution of the big bold sound striped away the excitement and allure.....so yes, todays corps are just a bunch of everyday bands!

Gutted?

This subject gets brought up multiple times a year, and some have the same Old (obligatory IMO) answers, it's band, it's not drum corps etc...

However, what is never brought into these discussions, is the true essence of the activity, heart, soul, comrarity and family. Isn't that essentially what this is all about, or should be? Sorry you change the instruments to kazoo's for all I care, the day you lose heart is the day it's over. I dare you to go tell those, on the field, sweating, working their tales off, that's it's just "band" now and the appeal of what they are doing it gutted. Go ahead I dare you...........

• Like 2

Band, in many districts, is going the way of the dodo into history. More and more will be dropped as budget cuts require resources spent on "more important" subjects. Community bands and drum corps may soon be the only games in town and we should do what we can to be prepared to accept that and thrive.