Have drum corps evolved into bands?

Hilarious.... I read this thread and then read Mr Simpsons article expecting to see some bile or at least anger coming from his keyboard. Instead I read some interesting points (even if this non-musician didn't get everything) written in a respectful manner. Knowing some of his USAF ex-corps mates I wouldn't expect any less.

Maybe if we run into each other at DCA again, he can translate some of the article for me. :tongue:

• Like 1

Here (if I can get the moment in to type it all) is my point. The general "you" of the older dc generation chooses to constantly treat those who marched after them with a huge level of disrespect. They expect respect for what they did, acheived and accomplished, but choose to not show it. If you don't like the activity as it is now, or the last decade or the 3 or 4 decades prior, move along and please stop insulting what is being done currently. Start threads in the historical forum for reminiscing about the good times. Trying to make this activity return to its roots, to make people stop doing what has been literally done for generations of marchers (having a pit; guards that dance, have dancing training, body movement, uniforms that go with show themes, etc.; while we are on that subject, show themes; 3 valve horns; and Bb horns) seems in its own way sad. In a "I'm stuck in the past" kind of way.

Respect does actually go both ways and very little is shown for those performing today by those who performed in days gone by for the most part. SOME people try. But it is a small percentage compared to those who bash it.

• Like 2

Here (if I can get the moment in to type it all) is my point. The general "you" of the older dc generation chooses to constantly treat those who marched after them with a huge level of disrespect. They expect respect for what they did, acheived and accomplished, but choose to not show it. If you don't like the activity as it is now, or the last decade or the 3 or 4 decades prior, move along and please stop insulting what is being done currently. Start threads in the historical forum for reminiscing about the good times. Trying to make this activity return to its roots, to make people stop doing what has been literally done for generations of marchers (having a pit; guards that dance, have dancing training, body movement, uniforms that go with show themes, etc.; while we are on that subject, show themes; 3 valve horns; and Bb horns) seems in its own way sad. In a "I'm stuck in the past" kind of way.

Respect does actually go both ways and very little is shown for those performing today by those who performed in days gone by for the most part. SOME people try. But it is a small percentage compared to those who bash it.

And what percentage of the older members bash todays DC in your opinion?

And does disrespect mean insulting or demeaning what is bring done today or does it mean saying you're not a fan of what is going on today?

• Like 3

I agree with the fact that there are older folks that do this. There are also many in todays ranks that this could apply to as well.

No matter how much you may want to control what people say, you will never be able to. For every old timer that offends you with comments of prancing, there's a young buck today that offends with comments of "boring ### shows"

• Like 3

Gutted?

This subject gets brought up multiple times a year, and some have the same Old (obligatory IMO) answers, it's band, it's not drum corps etc...

However, what is never brought into these discussions, is the true essence of the activity, heart, soul, comrarity and family. Isn't that essentially what this is all about, or should be? Sorry you change the instruments to kazoo's for all I care, the day you lose heart is the day it's over. I dare you to go tell those, on the field, sweating, working their tales off, that's it's just "band" now and the appeal of what they are doing it gutted. Go ahead I dare you...........

...absolutely, Kay! I'm out here in deepest-darkest Iowa working with one of these alleged "bands" and I've *never* been involved with a more "drum corps" environment. So, pffffffftt to the critics...I defy any and all to stand where I was today in front of a *balanced* 70 Bb horns, a cookin' 24 person marching percussion section, and a super well-taught guard (and you'd be surprised how "old school" these people/teachers are), (gasp for a breath...) and not get bumps all OVER the place! No, this is definitely "it!" AND, like I told one of our totally committed members this morning, "...get ready, cuz you're gonna be hangin' with these people the rest of your life."

Oh, and his response? "I know, and I love the thought."

cg

Edited by chasgroh

...absolutely, Kay! I'm out here in deepest-darkest Iowa working with one of these alleged "bands" and I've *never* been involved with a more "drum corps" environment. So, pffffffftt to the critics...I defy any and all to stand where I was today in front of a *balanced* 70 Bb horns, a cookin' 24 person marching percussion section, and a super well-taught guard (and you'd be surprised how "old school" these people/teachers are), (gasp for a breath...) and not get bumps all OVER the place! No, this is definitely "it!" AND, like I told one of our totally committed members this morning, "...get ready, cuz you're gonna be hangin' with these people the rest of your life."

Oh, and his response? "I know, and I love the thought."

cg

You DO get around, don't cha Charlie.... :thumbup:

Liz that wasn't my intent when I posted this. I read an article on DCW and thought some might find it interesting. Wasn't bashing, belittling or denigrating present day drum corps. I like it. I just saw it as a comparison. Some may have seen it differently then I did.

• Like 1

I think I have the solution that would work best, at least for me anyway. Since there are no competitive drum and bugle corps anymore, why not call what exists brass bands. Then I would not get so upset when I see so called drum and bugle corps acting like clowns when marching down the street in parades while claiming that is what the onlookers want. This would also make sense now that they are utilizing tubas and trumpets and marching much like what I saw in the movie March Of The Wooden Soldiers.I do believe that what we have now are some very talented people who put on very entertaining shows but to me it is not drum corps and yes I do miss real drum corps.

• Like 2

I have to agree with you...The progressive thinkers have gutted the appeal of what we know as drum corps. The big sound is gone...not just the brass, the perc now sounds as if it's played on cardboard boxes. Although many of the innovations over the past few decades are for the better, IMO, the dilution of the big bold sound striped away the excitement and allure.....so yes, todays corps are just a bunch of everyday bands!

Free floating snare drums appeared in DCI's top 12 in 1988. Kevlar heads a few years prior to that. Are you really bringing up an argument from 25 years ago?

Mike

• Like 2

I think I have the solution that would work best, at least for me anyway. Since there are no competitive drum and bugle corps anymore, why not call what exists brass bands. Then I would not get so upset when I see so called drum and bugle corps acting like clowns when marching down the street in parades while claiming that is what the onlookers want. This would also make sense now that they are utilizing tubas and trumpets and marching much like what I saw in the movie March Of The Wooden Soldiers.I do believe that what we have now are some very talented people who put on very entertaining shows but to me it is not drum corps and yes I do miss real drum corps.

you do realize that most people on the streets for a parade don't give a flying #### about straight lines, instrumentation, etc? They care about something thatmakes them clap.

the days of the general public being gaga over military precision from any unit that isn't a military unit are long gone.

• Like 1