Have drum corps evolved into bands?

You're right about those "non-major" bands... UMass, Indiana U. of Pennsylvania, and so forth. Great stuff. I just think a number of the "powerhouse conference" bands are wonderful.

Sure, I just happen to like the ones that aren't slaves to tradition. Bands like Auburn, FSU, Florida, Oklahoma...I'll take those over same-ness bands any day. There's a TON of variation in college bands. Many people like HBCB's. I don't particularly care for them, but I totally understand folks that do.

Funny how drum corps works the same way, huh? You don't see old "college band dinos" condemning all of them because a few design a certain way, like you do with DCI/DCA. It'snot like the dino crowd can't enjoy alumni corps, right? Though you'd think they'd buy more tickets to the alumni show at championships...

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

So. . . . .

If one likes powerful brass and percussion, played well, using familiar melodies, and symmetrical drill patterns, such product is still available on the big-time college band level?

Yes, it's true!

but, can you catch a half dozen or so of them in the same place on a compeditive platform on a regular basis?

So. . . . .

If one likes powerful brass and percussion, played well, using familiar melodies, and symmetrical drill patterns, such product is still available on the big-time college band level?

Yes, it's true!

but, can you catch a half dozen or so of them in the same place on a compeditive platform on a regular basis?

Competitive, no. Not really. But you can catch a bunch of them at events like the College Band Show in Allentown every fall, or the big HBCB event in Atlanta. On the other hand, I do know some college band programs are planning SoundSport groups in the near futures.

Edited by Kamarag

You don't see old "college band dinos" condemning all of them because a few design a certain way, like you do with DCI/DCA.

I will invoke the "Notre Dame Exception" here and condemn them. :tongue:

Competitive, no. Not really. But you can catch a bunch of them at events like the College Band Show in Allentown every fall, or the big HBCB event in Atlanta.

Honestly, I personally would not want to see those bands compete against each other.

But those "showcase" exhibition shows with a bunch of bands there... bring 'em on!!!

Honestly, I personally would not want to see those bands compete against each other.

But those "showcase" exhibition shows with a bunch of bands there... bring 'em on!!!

I agree completely. The last thing college band ever needs is judges and scoring.

• Like 1

Gary,

I suppose the answer is NO. That's too bad, because some of them are truly impressive. I did purchase some Alabama band cds that included an hour or more. I'm telling you, bands at this level provide everything we all want. It's good stuff. Is there a 3 hour evening of this alternative? No.