Have drum corps evolved into bands?

Play my Schilke B5 and a bugle and tell me you cant play just as loud as a bugle.

It is not the amount of volume...it is the distance the sound can travel projected by the G horn. If you ever played my trumpet, you would never want to play a bugle again. I do play and arrange for both types of groups...much rather play a good trumpet than the best bugle. I am a member of the Bugler's Hall of Fame and I still play with Alumni groups on bugle. I am a dinosaur that knows the difference.

Over and over...every freaking year, same stuff...aye yi yi

...checking that my tail won't knock over the furniture and bemoaning my small arms (sigh...)...but will march with my brother Dino Donny forever...I was playing my G Ultratone yesterday, and practicing my Bb York tuba today... ;)

cg

When i was still living up north i would go to the DCA championships ,but only preliums .I wanted to see all the corps perform .I lost any interest in who wins as to say i give a rats ### ,I just watched some clips from DCI on utube ,They all look like there trying out for some major ballet company UGG.Not just the guards but the brass lines as well.Sorry not my thing judging by numbers at the gates to most shows today and the lack of sponsers ,saids one thing .THE END IS NEAR for what ever reason you choose to belive . I see alot of people didn't like what i had to say .But the younger crowd is not coming to DCA shows and your lossing the the older crowd .What have the numbers been at the gate of the DCA championships lately .Are they still dropping ? does anyone really care.Not to put Reading down there a great corps ,but if you know who's going to win every year ,half way throught the season ,why would you go to Finals ?As i stated earlier i was going just for preliums to see all shows that was my fill for the year.By the way DCI in the movies Westbury LI 28 people ,Jacksonville .Orange Park 15 .The heart of Manhatten Union Square 16 people .How are they making any money on this ?

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

When i was still living up north i would go to the DCA championships ,but only preliums .I wanted to see all the corps perform .I lost any interest in who wins as to say i give a rats ### ,I just watched some clips from DCI on utube ,They all look like there trying out for some major ballet company UGG.Not just the guards but the brass lines as well.Sorry not my thing judging by numbers at the gates to most shows today and the lack of sponsers ,saids one thing .THE END IS NEAR for what ever reason you choose to belive .

i agree. but as i said before. it's past us. it belongs to the younger people. and if it dies it's all on them. you can't change peoples minds. when your involved in something you have blinders on. you can't see the reality. so for me i'm pretty much out. i will follow along but i'm not going tell them to change direction.

• Like 2

When i was still living up north i would go to the DCA championships ,but only preliums .I wanted to see all the corps perform .I lost any interest in who wins as to say i give a rats ### ,I just watched some clips from DCI on utube ,They all look like there trying out for some major ballet company UGG.Not just the guards but the brass lines as well.Sorry not my thing judging by numbers at the gates to most shows today and the lack of sponsers ,saids one thing .THE END IS NEAR for what ever reason you choose to belive .

I feel your pain.

People can say what they want. That a bunch of old timers are sitting around crying about BITD. And kids whine about how we have no respect for what they do today.

But this much I can say.

There was a time and place in drum corps history when peeps did whatever they had to do to get to a show. They worked overtime, they begged their parents for money, they did odd jobs. The mere anticipation of a upcoming show would keep them up days before a show without sleep. I simply just don't see that sort of drive with fans today. Ive even seen kids offered discounted and/or free tickets to DCI shows and they turn them down or start making up excuses about how they have better things to do with their time and money. . The enthusism is simply not there today like it was BITD.

Even die hard DCI fans that I know from yesturyear are not getting out to shows like they use to. And its not about money or time peeps. . Its about lack of interest or enthusiasm in the shows. When you leave the stadium and you cannot hum more than 4 bars consecutivly of a song you just heard there is something wrong folks.

• Like 2

jeff i get what your saying. the older crowd is well.......old. and this that i'm going to say includes me. the oldsters are set in their ways. we always look back and say things were better BITD. and not just drum corps. it's everyday living, politics everything. when i was young the older people said the same things. it was better in 1946. or 1938. i couldn't grasp what they were saying. we all want to hold on to our youth. but time marches on. it was only recently with a health scare that i realized my day has come and gone. now i may not like what i see and hear but let's face. we have handed off the activity to those that are doing it now. and like we in my time changed it the younger generation is changing it and they like it. so good for them. i hope it works like it did for us. i wish them well. i'm interested what's going on but it's a passing interest now. i will try to keep up. and watch the scores and placements. but i'm done. i have no say. it is what it is. sound like a plan?

Don,

If I had aproblem with you specifically, you'd know LOL.

you keepdoing what you're doing

Don,

If I had aproblem with you specifically, you'd know LOL.

you keepdoing what you're doing

i know. just letting ya know my feelings . where i'm at now. for me it's all good. i'm no longer a guy looking to change minds. it's not fair that i do. we changed the activity when i was young and now it's their turn. and i get it. but i love to reminisce as you can tell on the guess who thread. thumbup.gif

• Like 1

Drum and bugle corps could have evolved over the years as drum and bugle corps rather than into brass marching bands. I believe that what it evolved into could be equated in part to the never ending needs of the instructors to satisfy their intellectual appetites causing the essence drum corps to disappear. There must be some reason why the activity attracts fewer and fewer viewers every year. I attended the DCI at my local movie theater tonight. I counted 16 people in the audience. Lots of talent and very entertaining shows but there is still something missing that is keeping the viewers away. It's the essence of drum corps and I don't mean the heart,soul and family. Yes, I'm 70 years old and I do know what a drum and bugle corps is!

• Like 1

i know. just letting ya know my feelings . where i'm at now. for me it's all good. i'm no longer a guy looking to change minds. it's not fair that i do. we changed the activity when i was young and now it's their turn. and i get it. but i love to reminisce as you can tell on the guess who thread. thumbup.gif

Don, if I don't get up to the Barnum Festival this weekend, will you be here with me for the scores?? :tongue:

Drum and bugle corps could have evolved over the years as drum and bugle corps rather than into brass marching bands. I believe that what it evolved into could be equated in part to the never ending needs of the instructors to satisfy their intellectual appetites causing the essence drum corps to disappear. There must be some reason why the activity attracts fewer and fewer viewers every year. I attended the DCI at my local movie theater tonight. I counted 16 people in the audience. Lots of talent and very entertaining shows but there is still something missing that is keeping the viewers away. It's the essence of drum corps and I don't mean the heart,soul and family. Yes, I'm 70 years old and I do know what a drum and bugle corps is!

so then in your eyes, what I marched in from 1989-1996 wasn't a drum and bugle corps.

coulda fooled us and those we competed against

• Like 2

Don, if I don't get up to the Barnum Festival this weekend, will you be here with me for the scores?? tongue.gif

do bears #### in the woods? smile.gif