Have drum corps evolved into bands?

From what I've seen, drum corps changes every five to ten years. some changes are good and they stay some are not so good and they are discarded. What was done in the 80's was different than what was done in the 90's which was different what was done in the 2000's and different what is being presented today. I think it's pretty simple. It's like anything else, if you like it you will buy if you don't you won't buy it. It's not a static activity. It's in a continuous state of evolution.

Edited by LucyGuy66
  • Like 2

Jeff, when they add woodwinds and trombones, will you still call them drum and bugle corps?

nope. They aren't bell front brass.

But I'm sorry, because I wasn't lucky enough to be born so I could march in the 50's, 60's, 70's or early 80's does not mean what I marched isn't drum and bugle corps.

and that comment from you is why so many of the younger generation blast older generations of drum corps marchers.

little clue for you...a few years ago, DCI did a survey of kids marching, and they asked if they wanted woodwinds...the overwhelming answer was no. Imagine that. The people YOU disrespect don't want woodwinds either.

Also, do you realize that most of the people proposing the rules changes you denigrate and vilify so much...are put up by people who marched in the late 70's and early 80's?

be careful where you aim, it may bite you in the ###

• Like 3

No way in heck would they ever add trombones to the field. For Lord's sake, they're unwieldy and add some real complications to drill designers, and some of the contortions they go through to turn around near anyone would get them killed by the visual panels for that issue.

DEG had a two valve Trombonium Bugle BITD. I believe Madison and 27 used them. Failures IIRC. For all intents and purposes the old G-D Tenor bugles were pretty much T-Bones. I own one and have played Fawber's, and that's the feel I get out of it.

To continue on that idea, most Brass lines tend to favor the bigger and more conical Euphonium sound or at least the beefier Baritone sound for their arrangements. Maybe you'd see the King Flugabones out there. Why not, if it fit what the arrangers wanted to present?

To play the devil's advocate here-- they don't need WW or Strings. they already HAVE them available in spades in the form of digital technology to give them the broader palette of Timbre the arrangers crave. :satisfied:/>

The questions are how the tools are used and evaluated. After listening to a couple of the 2011 shows carefully on my Monsoon system in my car, there's a lot of well-blended digital brass being used by some corps- not all- to enhance and beef up the sections of the brass line that aren't as strong as the rest in big moments. Given the placement of one of the corps who used it that way, I have a feeling the judges caught it and held them down for it fairly.

I also went to a clinic by a DCI digital staff guy about the whole thing who will remain nameless. IIRC, John and Jeff were there as well. Supposedly the kids buy into technology, which is all well and good, and it opens new horizons, which is all well and good... but his corps really gave the kids a stinkburger of a vehicle that any amount of digital technology, however perfectly used or not used, couldn't have saved. It was the kids they had who performed the bejeezus out of a horrible show that got them even where they ended up, God bless 'em.

Edited by BigW

When asked what was real drum corps he listed stuff that ended way before I picked up my 1st flag in 81. I was offended by that. A lot of people are. He isn't limiting it to the last 10 or 15 years, but he is knocking out (AND knocking) complete generations of participants. Isn't that apology worthy as well? Or is this one of those double sided things? He is old so we need to respect him and everything he says, even if he is completely off base and out of line.

The activity evolves, whether we necessarily feel comfortable or not with all of it.

Sometimes, it evolves into dead ends and the people realize there's an issue and fix it or change the idea to make it better. Sometimes, it works. IMHO, DCA is making things work well. The shows are enjoyable to watch and listen to, period. If they were not, I'd be throwing verbal grenades in my reviews at everyone.

I do love Scout House and the Cabs Alumni a lot. Old AND new BOTH bring a lot to the table and are fun and exciting to watch.

My advice is not to be offended, but to laugh. I read one where the college edjamacated music wonks wrecked it all. Yours truly is one of the college edjamacated wonks, and I don't think I wrecked the activity on my Piston Rotor trying to play more in tune and more musically than the competition.

Yes, Jeff, I did play more musically--- by the standards of 30 years ago. Still re-adjusting in Alumni where necessary. :devil:

When asked what was real drum corps he listed stuff that ended way before I picked up my 1st flag in 81. I was offended by that. A lot of people are. He isn't limiting it to the last 10 or 15 years, but he is knocking out (AND knocking) complete generations of participants. Isn't that apology worthy as well? Or is this one of those double sided things? He is old so we need to respect him and everything he says, even if he is completely off base and out of line.

i said it before and i'll say it again. both dies need to stop it. it isn't contructive. we dino's can't change anything. so we need to let it go. but so do the youngsters. but in no way should talking violence EVER come into the converstion. sorry but that's just how i feel. you don't try to MAKE SOMEBODY EXTINCT JUST BECAUSE THEY DISAGREE. !

• Like 2

DEG had a two valve Trombonium Bugle BITD. I believe Madison and 27 used them.

The late, great Harry Heidelmark played one for a while when he was with the Rhode Island Matadors. I remember it caused a bit of a stir in DCA when that happened. But it was a legal bell-front instrument, so it was allowed!

The late, great Harry Heidelmark played one for a while when he was with the Rhode Island Matadors. I remember it caused a bit of a stir in DCA when that happened. But it was a legal bell-front instrument, so it was allowed!

A Slide bone? :huh:

No kidding! :satisfied:

I could see using it if you're playing Kenton/something jazzy and need a sideline soloist to perform a certain solo in a certain way. Marching, they're an accident waiting to happen.

If they need valves, just use a Superbone like Don Ellis and Maynard. Good clip of Ellis out there performing "Sporting Dance" at Montreux and dueling with his slide man. Great moment, the band nearly comes unglued as Ellis pushes the tempo of a song written in 15/8 and still holds on.

Yeah, I can always parse a rules loophole given enough time. Another great Drum Corps Tradition. :devil:

• Like 1

DEG had a two valve Trombonium Bugle BITD. I believe Madison and 27 used them. Failures IIRC. For all intents and purposes the old G-D Tenor bugles were pretty much T-Bones. I own one and have played Fawber's, and that's the feel I get out of it.

Pretty sure Madison had one or two when we saw them at DCI East Prelims on the way to the NJ monsoon show in 79.

As for the Tenors they're fun for historic interest to see how far we've come. And how #### hard it was to get a real musical sounding blend, especially when they WERE the bottom horns... OY!

Kinda like the Ford Model As of the bugle lines (yeah... my old car background comes in handy).

Edited by JimF-LowBari