Have drum corps evolved into bands?

Yes!

If I want to listen to a marching band. I will go to a football game or a marching band contest.

I get it, Ed!

It's just that, the old rock 'em, sock' em, big sound brass and percussion experience is actually available on the college level, too. Probably more so than what's available in drum corps right now. I'm not comfortable in that, as I always considered drum corps to be on a higher, more stunning gut level effect than any band. But, right now, some drum corps don't deliver that to me. I happened to find what I want in a college band, that's all. If you like well-played, BIG sound, easy to follow brass and percussion, it's still out there in other places.

• Like 1

The University of Texas Longhorn Marching Band.

Texas A&M's Fightin' Texas Aggie Band.

Two absolutely awesome college bands.

The Aggie Band even has its own TV show in-season, on public TV in Texas:

The Texas Aggie Band Show

Fran, i think you do understand where I'm coming from on this. Big time college bands (some of them providing scholarships for band) that number in size about 300 mostly brass players, playing familiar music, really CAN impress drum corps dinos, like me. I'm not talking all college bands, of course. Just some. Seriously, if you want to have your face blown off, feel a thump in your chest, it CAN be found on the college band level, particularly now that drum corps are playing trumpets, trying to be scientific in their arrangements. Experience this alternative live, you might be surprised.

The irony here is that the best college bands in the country aren't even in major conferences. RCC, UCF, North Texas, UMass, etc...

John,

Do you agree, the superior college bands can ALSO "deliver the mail" to drum corps dinos?

So. . . . .

If one likes powerful brass and percussion, played well, using familiar melodies, and symmetrical drill patterns, such product is still available on the big-time college band level?

Yes, it's true!

So. . . . .

If one likes powerful brass and percussion, played well, using familiar melodies, and symmetrical drill patterns, such product is still available on the big-time college band level?

Yes, it's true!

Yea, but those aren't the truly exciting bands. If you like the Big Ten show-band style, it's absolutely still there. But I'll take a band like UMass, RCC, UCF or Texas San Antonio over a big conference school any day. They tend to be a lot more fun.

Bands like Ohio State are cool, but it's the same thing every week, every year. Over and over and over...

Towson University, here in the Baltimore area, has a terrific band. :thumbup:

UMASS 1st and foremost. UCONN and West Chester University.

Yea, but those aren't the truly exciting bands. If you like the Big Ten show-band style, it's absolutely still there. But I'll take a band like UMass, RCC, UCF or Texas San Antonio over a big conference school any day. They tend to be a lot more fun.

Bands like Ohio State are cool, but it's the same thing every week, every year. Over and over and over...

Tradition and pageantry, John. That is exciting to me.

I saw the "Script Ohio" thing in person, late 1980s at the Kickoff Classic at Giants Stadium... one of the coolest things I've ever seen from a marching unit. And I am not, by any means, an Ohio State football fan!

Of course, IMO, the best-ever "Script Ohio" was when the great Jack Nicklaus was the band's special guest and dotted the "I" a few years ago. :thumbup:

And UT's Longhorn band.. those guys can play just a bit. Great sound, every year. That fight song... wow.

The Texas A&M band... I guess more of an acquired taste, since they are basically a tattoo-style unit. But I think they're awesome.

You're right about those "non-major" bands... UMass, Indiana U. of Pennsylvania, and so forth. Great stuff. I just think a number of the "powerhouse conference" bands are wonderful.