Have drum corps evolved into bands?

From what I've seen, drum corps changes every five to ten years. some changes are good and they stay some are not so good and they are discarded. What was done in the 80's was different than what was done in the 90's which was different what was done in the 2000's and different what is being presented today. I think it's pretty simple. It's like anything else, if you like it you will buy if you don't you won't buy it. It's not a static activity. It's in a continuous state of evolution.

What else is there to say..... :worthy:

s/ Guy who discovered DC 1974, has recordings going back to 1950 and a horn even earlier... different eras all the way...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

A Slide bone? :huh:

No kidding! :satisfied:

One of those two-valve tromboniums.

So. . . . is evolving into bands a bad thing?

Maybe not. Bands really CAN raise your pulse. I feel a need to acknowledge certain bands. Particularly the University of Alabama Million Dollar Band. They are breathtaking in person. Of course, they play simple, familiar pieces. They are huge, with 50, or so, trumpets, about 300 pieces (mainly brass) and incredibly beautiful majorettes (a guy thing) . Seriously, they really blow me away. More so than any drum corps. To listen to this, in person, on the library steps before a game, is simply amazing. I'm sure there are other college bands capable of the same. LSU comes to mind.

Anyone else have a "band" experience that really took you to the next level? Let's hear about it.

Yes!

If I want to listen to a marching band. I will go to a football game or a marching band contest.

• Like 1

Maybe not. Bands really CAN raise your pulse. I feel a need to acknowledge certain bands. Particularly the University of Alabama Million Dollar Band. They are breathtaking in person. Of course, they play simple, familiar pieces. They are huge, with 50, or so, trumpets, about 300 pieces (mainly brass) and incredibly beautiful majorettes (a guy thing) . Seriously, they really blow me away. More so than any drum corps. To listen to this, in person, on the library steps before a game, is simply amazing. I'm sure there are other college bands capable of the same. LSU comes to mind.

Anyone else have a "band" experience that really took you to the next level? Let's hear about it.

The University of Texas Longhorn Marching Band.

Texas A&M's Fightin' Texas Aggie Band.

Two absolutely awesome college bands.

The Aggie Band even has its own TV show in-season, on public TV in Texas:

The Texas Aggie Band Show

Careful Camel Lips. They'll start calling you names!

It would not be the first time. It just makes them look like idiots when they do. :tongue:

• Like 1

Yes!

If I want to listen to a marching band. I will go to a football game or a marching band contest.

ed you always start out good then you fall into the big hole. your starting to look for the hole. i agree but you have to temper your thoughts. dig?

• Like 1