Wrong Step in Right Direction

We've had the corner on that market for 79 years! :thumbup:/>

You have wonderfully worn them, especially at the World Open prelims one Massachusetts morning at 8 am when the sprinklers went off mid-performance and we learned what the rookies did/did not wear under the kilts.

But corner the market. No way. Many corps have worn kilts. 27th Lancers percussion section comes to mind the years Zingali and Charlie Poole marched.

I personally like the Kilties uni better when it was the yellow/black/and red tartan. Sorry, I don't remember the clan.

With all due respect, I wonder if Michael Cesario has too much involvement with too many corps creating a more uniform look throughout

I strongly dislike many of the WGI uniforms but they are form = function so what might work in a gym on 30 people would never work on a football field for 100 plus – someone will make that mistake soon

Often, after a big uniform change, it take the visual staff a year to create a drill that works better for that uniform

• Like 4

And they were using Bb horns back in the 50's.

True. And I believe it limited their ability to compete. But hey, why limit it to Bb? How about some Eâ™­ Cornets to go with the dance costumes? Or some of those all rotor horns from the 1900-s - 1920's...?

Or for that matter, you could go real rad and have the synthesizer in G, and have it play a bugle part in tune. Just have the guard carrying g-bugles, but all the sound comes from the G-synth?

When does it stop being Drum Corps?

With all due respect, I wonder if Michael Cesario has too much involvement with too many corps creating a more uniform look throughout

I strongly dislike many of the WGI uniforms but they are form = function so what might work in a gym on 30 people would never work on a football field for 100 plus – someone will make that mistake soon

Often, after a big uniform change, it take the visual staff a year to create a drill that works better for that uniform

Yea I agree.

Someone already did, I think, and the results were pretty cool. As you know, Blue Devils last year used WGI-style tops for over half the show. I saw them both on video and in person, and had no problem at all with field definition, making out the drill - any of it. I thought they actually added a badly-needed spash of lighter color on their uniforms, and the tighter fit made their "regular" jackets look clunky and ill-fitting when they put them on.

DCI has a photo gallery up of new uniforms, and the Coastal Surge photo they've got has them using a similar setup - WGI-style tops with what looks like more traditional pants/shoes. I have to say, I like both of them.

(The only problem I see is finding headwear that matches, but neither BD nor Bluecoats in '09 really had any trouble going hatless, to tell you the truth. I don't know if it's as much of a "required element" as tradition would dictate.

Mike

DCI has a photo gallery up of new uniforms, and the Coastal Surge photo they've got has them using a similar setup - WGI-style tops with what looks like more traditional pants/shoes. I have to say, I like both of them.

Mike

Post a link?

Part of me thinks this thread is only the result of Dan being bored with score prognostication and preliminary opinions of shows. But still I ask: What's the problem? Why does it have to be a question of "needing" to get away from current uni design? Why can't it be that there are no limitations and, so far, none of the reasons Dan cites has prompted the corps to do anything different? Why do we NEED to look like WGI? I've never heard a compelling reason to adopt what seems to work on the floor.

With all the emphasis on visual in this activity (:throwupen:/>) you'd be rational to think that the "fabric and frills" guys would have a cutting edge viewpoint on what works and sells. So far, they march bibs. So what? What's the problem again? We want MORE emphasis on visual than we have now?

Until Surf does a Jersey Shore show where all the girls are in bikinis and guys in cargo trunks, this subject just doesn't seem worth the effort.

• Like 3

Part of me thinks this thread is only the result of Dan being bored with score prognostication and preliminary opinions of shows. But still I ask: What's the problem? Why does it have to be a question of "needing" to get away from current uni design? Why can't it be that there are no limitations and, so far, none of the reasons Dan cites has prompted the corps to do anything different? Why do we NEED to look like WGI? I've never heard a compelling reason to adopt what seems to work on the floor.

With all the emphasis on visual in this activity (:throwupen:/>/>) you'd be rational to think that the "fabric and frills" guys would have a cutting edge viewpoint on what works and sells. So far, they march bibs. So what? What's the problem again? We want MORE emphasis on visual than we have now?

Until Surf does a Jersey Shore show where all the girls are in bikinis and guys in cargo trunks, this subject just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Umm they did that show back in '03, down the shore with the jersey surf.

Thanks for that.

Only the Cadets and Boston look anything remotely "military", Cavies look like what I'd expect to see in a Star Wars movie, and Coastal Surge look like they couldn't afford a full uni (and it looks HOT there), as you would expect from a corps that's trying to look good on a budget instead of following the crowd and spending themselves into bankruptcy. God love them.

Anything wrong with that diversity? Where do the "militaristic" complaint come from again?

EDIT: and, of course, Troopers. But they wouldn't carry the image in tutu's now, would they?

Edited by garfield