Stanford Showdown

Whether you like it or not, by reacting the way a lot of folks are on here, for better or for worse they have accomplished what I think they set out to.

If they want the fans to hate their show and " have accomplished it " then they should have no beef at all with the crowd's reaction to it like this, nor should any of their MM's have any complaints either that good people that want to simply love their show feel so disappointed that BD set out.. if true... to essentially insult the good sensibilities of the paying customer. I don't accept the premise that BD show designers set out to essentially alienate national audiences. But if they did, shame on them, and God help this activity that intends to reward performers in competition that set out to intentionally alienate national coast to coast audiences like this.

• Like 2

Wait, y'all didn't like BD's show?

• Like 6

Just left show. I'll do a review tomorrow. Briefly though -- everyone was great! Better season than last year.

Few quick thoughts:

- The judges got it right. Visually, both in their repertoire and performance, they have an edge over Crown. The drill is very difficult with both ensemble and individual demand that is a bit Crown. Guard and percussion a tick above Crown too. The level of visual effect and performance is very sophisticated, and more ceiling room than Crown, IMO.

- Crown is just awesome. Wonderful show design that will absolutely contend. Brass line is unreal, and deserved their win tonight (think they did, right?). I retract my complaints on narration -- it really works. I didn't realize it was live performers. BUT -- the love poem thing is just a distraction. I kept on getting drawn away from the great sound and visuals to watch this guy recite (although he is a great speaker)

- SCV -- love em -- reminds me on Phantom shows. Drum corps at its best, as it used to be.

More later.

P.s. yes -- some boos. Mostly kids and, at least around me, looked to be Crown families. I was surprised. I do understand the frustration. Crown to me is "red meat" drum corps. Draws big reactions with big loud chords at the end. BD definitely doesn't end this show (are w sure this isn't the closer?) for a screaming audience. Around me, the reaction was "whoa .... Amazing". But everyone is thinking about it. I liked BD better for the visual feast and the sheer talent and excellence in achievement across all captions. I LOVE Crown for their mainstream crowd appeal and yes ... excellence. To me, it's like two excellent movies vying for the Oscar. The big blockbuster (Avatar/Crown) and the virtuoso performance that makes you say wow, but doesn't make you erupt in applause (Hurt Locker/BD). Cameron lost that night. We'll see here! Neither will run away w it like BD last year and 2010. Will be tight all the way, and we'll see about Cadets! Great season!

• Like 9

thats it.. I'm over this DCI Judging community. Yes the season is early but if they want a RIOT to break out just like the Rite of Spring did in 1913. They will get one come August in INDY.

Maybe it won't be an actual riot. Maybe the entire audience will not just leave before the encore, they'll leave before the actual finals performance. Hmmm....

• Like 2

P.s. yes -- some boos. Mostly kids and, at least around me, looked to be Crown families. I was surprised. I do understand the frustration. Crown to me is "red meat" drum corps. Draws big reactions with big loud chords at the end. BD definitely doesn't end this show (are w sure this isn't the closer?) for a screaming audience. Around me, the reaction was "whoa .... Amazing". But everyone is thinking about it. I liked BD better for the visual feast and the sheer talent and excellence in achievement across all captions. I LOVE Crown for their mainstream crowd appeal and yes ... excellence. To me, it's like two excellent movies vying for the Oscar. The big blockbuster (Avatar/Crown) and the virtuoso performance that makes you say wow, but doesn't make you erupt in applause (Hurt Locker/BD). Cameron lost that night. We'll see here! Neither will run away w it like BD last year and 2010. Will be tight all the way, and we'll see about Cadets! Great season!

Too bad the Crown homers won't read this portion of your post and understand it...

• Like 1

And now that we have had our little group scream.....it's time for a group hug grouphug.gif

Well done BD and congrats to all the corps for another great Stanford performance. Lots of miles to go and scores to scream at.........so good night you princes of Maine, you Kings of New England.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 2

From the stands, I thought Crown's drumline performed well, not far from BD. BD was dirtier than Crown, but the degree of difficulty is higher than Crown. Crown's hornline was rediculous.

If they want the fans to hate their show and " have accomplished it " then they should have no beef at all with the crowd's reaction to it like this, nor should any of their MM's have any complaints either that good people that want to simply love their show feel so disappointed that BD set out.. if true... to essentially insult the good sensibilities of the paying customer. I don't accept the premise that BD show designers set out to essentially alienate national audiences. But if they did, shame on them, and God help this activity that intends to reward performers in competition that set out to intentionally alienate national coast to coast audiences like this.

I just don't get what there is to hate about BD's show. Its not my favorite, but it is nowhere near something I hate. And compared to the last few years, it is pretty straight forward. It isn't the show that people are hating. It is the corps and its history of success ... and that is shameful, in my opinion. There is nothing about the show that is even close to appalling.

• Like 2

BRASSO -- for goodness sake, take it easy and turn down the dramatics. I was there, and was sitting with many, many BD fans who certainly weren't insulted or infuriated by BD's amazing performance. Quite the contrary, we were all #### impressed. We were also #### impressed by Crown. Don't let your intense competive opinions get in the way of what I think most people experienced live tonight -- a lot of amazing kids with great talent performing great shows.

• Like 4