Stanford Showdown

thats it.. I'm over this DCI Judging community. Yes the season is early but if they want a RIOT to break out just like the Rite of Spring did in 1913. They will get one come August in INDY.

Let me ask you this, then: what specific captions should Crown have won that they didn't?

Remember, juges are looking at a very specific segment of a program in the critical sense, and then each judge's scores add up to the final. So instead of saying "judges screwed up because Crown should've won," go deeper: tell us specifically which judges got the wrong placement or spread, and in some detail tells us why. Looking at the recaps, I really don't see where a judge called it wrong between Crown & Devs:

* GE Vis. went to Blue Devils

* GE Music went to Crown

-- both of these were close enough to kinda cancel each other and put overall GE tie

BD pretty much won every Vis. caption except for Guard Achievement, which seems logical as several people have posted that Dev's guard had some problems tonight.

Musically:

* Brass went to Crown by .1, as the judge split sub-captions giving Crown the edge in execution

* Ensemble went to BD, quite possibly because Crown has an underachieving percussion section and...

* Percussion = BD was above Crown by .3, which isn't awful but when you remember that weaker half of the musical program also bleeds into Ensemble & GE Music enough to keep those captions either behind BD or really close.

Looking at it by sub-caption it seems pretty logical to me. I don't see anything too glaring, and without being on the field to get proper read for several of the Captions, I'm OK deferring to the judges.

But where do you think things went wrong judge-wise? What captions do you think should've gone the other way, or where do you think a wider spread should've been & why?

• Like 5

BD got booed at what is essentially a home show. If winning is what matters most to BD, fine. I hope it's worth every golf clap along the way.

Well, as LeBron James has implied on social media today, who gives a flying frack about the detractors when you're a World Champion

• Like 3

Seriously? I am completely confused by this line of reasoning. All we hear from you and other BD haters is how much better it was back in the day.

Oh sure, and I could just as easily use that flawed logic of yours and state that guys like you that hate the " back in the day " and love the current changes in Drum Corps ironically want to keep the judges that are in a few cases older than the birth of color TV's.

Look, I don't hate the Blue Devils. I dislike this year's show. I even said that they are " extraordinarily talented " and acknlowledged they just might be " the best " under the current judging system. If you are confused by my line of reasoning, then be comforted by the fact that the BD show of 2013 is confusing to a boatload of people, and yet will probably win them another title from the scorecard of a few of the retirees working up in the box on Finals Nite.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Let me ask you this, then: what specific captions should Crown have won that they didn't?

Remember, juges are looking at a very specific segment of a program in the critical sense, and then each judge's scores add up to the final. So instead of saying "judges screwed up because Crown should've won," go deeper: tell us specifically which judges got the wrong placement or spread, and in some detail tells us why. Looking at the recaps, I really don't see where a judge called it wrong between Crown & Devs:

* GE Vis. went to Blue Devils

* GE Music went to Crown

-- both of these were close enough to kinda cancel each other and put overall GE tie

BD pretty much won every Vis. caption except for Guard Achievement, which seems logical as several people have posted that Dev's guard had some problems tonight.

Musically:

* Brass went to Crown by .1, as the judge split sub-captions giving Crown the edge in execution

* Ensemble went to BD, quite possibly because Crown has an underachieving percussion section and...

* Percussion = BD was above Crown by .3, which isn't awful but when you remember that weaker half of the musical program also bleeds into Ensemble & GE Music enough to keep those captions either behind BD or really close.

Looking at it by sub-caption it seems pretty logical to me. I don't see anything too glaring, and without being on the field to get proper read for several of the Captions, I'm OK deferring to the judges.

But where do you think things went wrong judge-wise? What captions do you think should've gone the other way, or where do you think a wider spread should've been & why?

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but no one that drops equipment so often should be winning anything. #tickshadsomegoodpoints

Had a great night! Mandarins were great, nice surprise...Blue Knights was forgettable. Not top 12. Crown has the best show I've seen in a few years, if you haven't seen it, you are in for a treat. Tremendous sound, gave me the chills on the opener. Crown had a standing ovation after the opener BTW. SCV had great marching, but just didn't work for me arrangement-wise or sound-wise. Actually didn't really feature the drumline either, which was very surprising. BD was raw talent, and they take you on a ride -- it doesn't seem to me that the BD kids even know there is an audience (or cares?).

Here is how I had it based on current scores in first week:

1) Crown - 74

2) BD - 71

3) SCV - 69

4) Blue Knights - 63

5) Mandarins - 61

6) Pacific Crest - 57

Good night!

Edited by superOOk
  • Like 1

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but no one that drops equipment so often should be winning anything. #tickshadsomegoodpoints

• Like 4

What about the south? :angry:/>/>

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

Can we blame all of this on the supermoon?

So on a lighter note...

Anyone notice the open class recap?

BDB wins by .7, like in World Class.

The last two digits of each score are the same as world class (.45 - .15)

BDB and SCVC tie in GE, just like World Class.

I'm going to bed now.

Edited by DrumManTx