Bowling Green Brewery (6/23)

I hate to pull up one of the most important rules I took from my music experiences (including drum corps)

"To be on time is to be early. To be late is to be on time."

The issue has to do with all of the late comers who meander in at the same time at the very last minute. Both Pioneer and Troopers both stood there and waited a certain amount of time before starting their show. They can only wait so long. At some point people need to be responsible enough to get there early enough to be in their seats in time.

I think you got that backward. "To be early is to be on time. To be on time is to be late."

• Like 2

I think you got that backward. "To be early is to be on time. To be on time is to be late."

I've always heard it thus: If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late. If you're late, you're FIRED!

Some say a similar quote is attributed to Vince Lombardi who wanted all his players to be early to meetings.

This is unbelievable. Only about half the line was let in between Pioneer and Troopers. So, we still aren't inside. Horrible management. We got here before Pioneer started.

I hate to pull up one of the most important rules I took from my music experiences (including drum corps)

"To be on time means to be early. To be late means to be on time."

The issue has to do with all of the late comers who meander in at the same time at the very last minute. Both Pioneer and Troopers both stood there and waited a certain amount of time before starting their show. They can only wait so long. At some point people need to be responsible enough to get there early enough to be in their seats in time.

Everyone could have been seated by the time Troopers started if they held after Pioneer for three more minutes. There were about 500 people waiting patiently in three or four lines (one for each section) through all of Pioneer's performance. Fair enough. You don't enter the stands during the performance. That's standard drum corps etiquette* (although I found myself explaining it to about a dozen people who were apparently new to the experience--I'll take my lumps for not having reached Bowling Green until 10 minutes before the show was to start, but those angry customers may not come back. And it shouldn't have been a fellow patron who had to explain. Big "no entry during performance" signs and a helpful, knowledgeable staff would go a long way to making for a more educated and thus more satisfied customer.) But all those people should have been seated before Troopers started. Instead, about 100 of them, who, again, had already been waiting in line for some time, ended up waiting all through Troopers' performance, too. (And the stadium structure is impressively soundproof: you can't hear the show from those lines.) As I said, in a professional arts performance, the house manager tells the stage manager to hold before show and during intermission. And that's in a situation where there's also usually a mechanism to seat people in the back while the performance is underway.

*I don't think it was a factor at the BG show yesterday, but the standard needs to be clarified in light of the preshow activity many corps now include: are people to be seated while Spirit's audio montage of sampled '20s music is played through their speakers or not?

I've always heard it thus: If you're early, you're on time. If you're on time, you're late. If you're late, you're FIRED!

Some say a similar quote is attributed to Vince Lombardi who wanted all his players to be early to meetings.

My boss alway told me "If you're 10 minutes early, you're 5 minutes late!"

Same thing if you think about it.

No, not at all. That would be advocating being late as still being "on time".

Somebody has to be ###### about something George is doing, right? Since there's no narration, no singing, really good drum corps, no rules changes, etc. Now we have to complain that it is distracting to watch him when they only reason you're watching him is because you know who he is and want to be griping about something he's doing. Whatever.

Let's just say George pacing the sidelines is no Allison Watkins!

By the way, Gail Royer did it with SCV back in the day so Hopkins does it too.

I agree, love this panel, they are everywhere, compared to last night. Although, last night's panel were BD's design staff's Brunch and Wine and Cheese friends/Neighbors and former Roommate.

Although, many of these judges on the panel from today at Toledo have been threatened with extinction if they don't tow the line and yes I actually heard it from 3 of the judges mouth. Personally, I am shocked Rock is still out there but he tends to fall in line during finals.

Several years back there was a civil war amongst the WGI CG judges, and a group led by G. Oliviero who also holds major sway with DCI judging, won. Perhaps this war will erupt again this summer. Could be exciting.

Not that Madison and Phantom didn't deserve their VA numbers -- but a limited view recording of the ballad and closer from BG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcLC50dtuLc) does at least show a VERY dirty guard in the last few minutes. Perhaps that plus the visual clutter of not having coverings on the props lead to their lower numbers.