Why are fans so rude and immature?

I think you are giving the sheets waaay too much credit. The criteria are NOT that well-defined. However, the sheets do contain some mentions of connecting to the audience, and a tepid audience reaction and boos at the scores would indicate perhaps that connection was not achieved.

They are trained to judge based on the sheets. The corps ALL use these sheets as a guide. Also, "connecting to the audience" may be on the GE sheets, but not on any of the performance captions. And audience "reaction" is not the same as "connection".

Also - Some Star staff said their decision to leave DCI was influenced in part by being tired of explaining to the members why they were boo'd each night.

Its a tough duty for staff to have to explain why a Corps show is booed as it travels from coast to coast. Why didn't the staff take the time neccessary in the preseason to properly explain to their MM's that their upcoming show was going to meet with so much disfavor ? These show designers are intelligent and perceptive people. They understand generic and diverse audiences. ( or should ). Its unfortunate that the Star staff had to explain to MM's while they were on tour " why they were being booed each nite ". Star's staff had such a reputation for preparedness too. Its regrettable that the MM's were apparently caught so off guard on tour that the Star staff had to explain what could have easily been avoided altogether with proper planning it seems to me.

not everyone can be a superb parent... I wouldn't blame yourself too much. I'm sure you did your best.

That is not even cool and so way over the top it's disgusting. This man has followed his kids throughout their Drum Corps experience spending thousands of dollars in the process. He is on this board because of his love for both the sport and his kids. It's one thing to judge a corps and the people who attend and their reactions but to judge a parent on their parenting skills, NO WAY! :thumbdown:

• Like 7

1372102011[/url]' post='3273069']

Man, I haven't seen anyone pick up so many negatives since Howdy was allowed on DCP. tongue.gif

Madison scouts meet duck dynasty.....Jack.

P.s. quite proud of my negatives. My intention was to stir the pot and I did quite well.

Edited by LDO
  • Like 1

please take the following comment for the massive dose of sarcasm it will hold within it.

"Why yes, by all means, let's try to educate people around us on courtesy at a show, knowing full well my attempt to educate them could make them even more unruly, and bother many more people around us when the #### hits the fan."

Please, when in a larage crowd, do you try to educate people on how YOU feel they should behave? If so, what kind of reaction do you get? And, does it end up affecting everyone around you?

Ahhh... of course this makes good sense Jeff, but I believe you may not quite understand the what and where of what I meant by "educating them up close and personally" I was thinking more along the lines of a little 70's Skyliners' parking lot education. :winky:

I find this a tad bit catty and here is why. Those of us that actually marched Drum Corps have fought, sometimes unknowingly to grasp some validity that this is a sport. There is no denying that this is most definitely a sport. Whether you are in high school, college, or as drum corps would be considered, The Pros, there is going to be booing no matter how you look at it. to use the reasoning that these kids work so hard,( and believe me I know exactly how hard) they work, does a football team not work hard, baseball, basketball? This organization we support is a series of...... wait for it..... COMPETITIONS!!!!! This isnt T-Ball where they dont keep score. Its this PC crap that holds us back as a society. We want to shelter everyone from disappointment. I have a tattoo on my inner arm that says From Pain Comes Strength..... Any true competitor will tell you if they are booing you, you must be doing something right. ala Miami Heat and the likes. I have been on the fighting ends of both sides of the spectrum, I missed finals in 89 with Dutch Boy, but also have a ring with Phantom from 96. Boo me all you want, I will just give you more reasons to boo while I am kicking your butt. All this being said, I am not a BD fan, at least not since the late 90's, nor am I a CC fan and I live in Charlotte. These kids can handle their own battles, my time in Drum Corps forced me to grow up in ways I wasnt even aware of. And I wouldnt trade an single round of applause or a single boo along the way. Just my 2 cents!

• Like 2

not everyone can be a superb parent... I wouldn't blame yourself too much. I'm sure you did your best.

Total dick move. And I am fairly sure you don't have kids.

• Like 4

I find it hard to believe a design team would have no idea their product's gonna be booed. You've all said how smart and thoughtful and hard working they all are. So, if you are knowingly going to put a show on the field that's full stuff a crowd generally doesn't like (and there's ample precedence out there for a design staff to know full well what will and will not appeal to a generic crowd), and then pretend to be surprised and shocked and outraged when booing occurs....... I'm not buying it. So, designers, if you don't want "the kids" to be booed, and no one can stop people from booing, then stop putting those kinds of shows on the field. Otherwise..... stop complaining about it. Parents, yeah you have every right to complain. Staffs, nope.

• Like 1

You should of been around when Cadets did the National Public Radio show that spoke (literally) about breast cancer. Huge stage, Ira Glass wannabe interviewing a breast cancer survivor. Dear Lord this place was up for grabs.

Talk about brutal.

• Like 1